2022 NFL Draft #1 (Senior Bowl & Combine)

Forge

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is amazingly annoying for me. He's been one of my top safeties and I thought there was a good chance he'd be there for us

His skill set would have fit perfectly next to Ward, he has probably set himself up as the #2 or #3 safety at this point

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

His skill set would have fit perfectly next to Ward, he has probably set himself up as the #2 or #3 safety at this point

If it’s any consolation, I think Pitre will definitely be there at our first pick In The 2nd, I’m a fan of his and he didn’t impress with his 40 time

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

If it’s any consolation, I think Pitre will definitely be there at our first pick In The 2nd, I’m a fan of his and he didn’t impress with his 40 time

I'm not a pitre fan lol. 

Not for us at any rate

As much as I love Cine being a UGA fan (and he was definitely one of my favorite players on the team) I wouldn't say he's a center fielder type safety. He's an enforcer/in the box safety. With Hufanga last year, Cine this year would be not super efficient imo. 

That being said, if it did happen, I wouldn't hate it but is unlikely he will drop to us. If we do target UGA guys I wouldn't be surprised to see Channing Tindall or Quay Walker in our price range though.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, NinerNation21 said:

Two guys based off of measurements that I like that I don't know anything about:

• EDGE Isaiah Thomas, Oklahoma - 6'5 260 lbs / 10.13" hands / 33.88" arms
  • CB Jaylen Watson, Washington State - 6'4 211 lbs / 10" hands / 32.75" arms

I've read that Watson is best used as a press corner in a zone scheme, which seems like a good fit, but I don't know anything else about him.

@Chrissooner49er, got anything to add on Thomas?

The Sooners did not always play him at EDGE. He was inside often--and now we fans have heard via Perion Winfrey that Grinch had a tendency to play his system instead of maximize skill sets. Square peg, round hole sort of philosophy. So, all the Sooner prospects suffered from not being used properly....Riley didn't mess with any staff's decisions. But, we all now know he had 1 foot out the door already. 

With that said, I would take Thomas, Winfrey, Bonito in a heart beat for the 9ers. They each flashed potential and then would disappear at other times--due to Grinch, mostly. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

As much as I love Cine being a UGA fan (and he was definitely one of my favorite players on the team) I wouldn't say he's a center fielder type safety. He's an enforcer/in the box safety. With Hufanga last year, Cine this year would be not super efficient imo. 

That being said, if it did happen, I wouldn't hate it but is unlikely he will drop to us. If we do target UGA guys I wouldn't be surprised to see Channing Tindall or Quay Walker in our price range though.

Do you feel he could be more of a deep zone safety? With his length and athleticism, it seems like he would be able to from a physical standpoint.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

I don't think he's strictly a box guy, but I agree he's not a center fielder. Split zone, two high he shouldn't have a problem with. Not great ball skills. He'd replace tartt well enough, though. 

I'm not sure hufanga is going to even a great two high safety. He's striking me more as third safety / moneyback

• Like 1

He definitely has safety skills, he has the physical tools to do anything. I just don't know if he has the mindset. This is his mindset. I don't know this first hand but it was floated around the message boards that Kirby had to tell him to take it down in practice a notch because he was punishing guys in practice like that all the time.

I’m definitely a fan of grabbing a good safety prospect With our first pick. Seems like we’re going the vet corner route in free agency..and all the other positions we need don’t usually yield contributors by that pick. 

For me, I’d probably go BPA but in some order of:

IOL

Outside corner

nickel

OT

safety.

and always an eddie.

but I would really like to see a center fielder on this team for once 

38 minutes ago, John232 said:

I’m definitely a fan of grabbing a good safety prospect With our first pick. Seems like we’re going the vet corner route in free agency..and all the other positions we need don’t usually yield contributors by that pick. 

For me, I’d probably go BPA but in some order of:

IOL

Outside corner

nickel

OT

safety.

and always an eddie.

but I would really like to see a center fielder on this team for once 

With our 1st pick, I would prefer speed EDGE, OL or even CB (if FA didn't get us any decent talent).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

With our 1st pick, I would prefer speed EDGE, OL or even CB (if FA didn't get us any decent talent).

I think for me right now, I'd prefer a defender with our 1st pick. EDGE, CB, or S. If we grab a vet CB next week, then I'd be fine with we waited until day 3 or UDFA for a CB.