2022 NFL Draft #1 (Senior Bowl & Combine)

Forge

22 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem is that there's a difference between best corner and corner I'd most want to draft lol.

I think the "best" corner likely to be there would probably be McCreary, but there are definitely physical limitations there. Marcus Jones is the same thing. The best 100% sure boundary corner may be Martin Emerson. 

That said, Woolen and McCollum are absolute physical freaks who may amount to nothing but could become shut down guys based on their physical traits. 

Speaking as an Auburn alum, I’m not so worried about McCreary’s physical limitations. He’s so darn sticky in man coverage that if you are a man team, you’ll find a spot for him. He absolutely took everything Ja’Marr Chase had to offer as a rookie and hung with him only giving up one jump ball because he just can’t take Chase in the air. He got the Devonte Smith assignment for two years in a row and handled him well (Auburn’s issue was their slot corner getting cooked in both games). He really stuffed Metchie this last year leading to a near upset of Alabama. He did well on Jameson Williams this past year outside of one double move. McCreary is the most battle tested man corner in the country. Maybe he only takes on smaller WRs for you or whatever, but he’ll kick butt at it. I’m more worried about scheme versatility. McCreary has been in an extremely man heavy scheme every year at Auburn but this last one and he is significantly less valuable playing either off man or zone than he is tight to a receiver at the line of scrimmage. He’s not a route combination reader guy, he isn’t a plus tackler. He’s a man guy. If your slot corner plays mostly man or you love playing a lot of man with two safeties so that he can play tight with inside leverage and help down the sidelines against jump ball fades, he’ll kill it. If not, strongly consider a better fit. Martin Emerson is an excellent example of a better fit for off man/zone teams. 

• Like 2

I've done more extensive work on the running backs now, and I can join Forge as an absolute Ty Chandler lover. If Pierre Strong is like Elijah Mitchell - very few false steps, always finding the correct hole, always accelerating and decelerating smoothly and under control, running quite high with just enough behind his pads to get through arm tackles - Chandler is more like Deebo playing running back. Chandler has some missteps and messed up hole reads, but he is incredibly explosive laterally and through acceleration and often jump cuts back onto the correct track once he realizes his mistake. He runs very low and has a lot of thump behind his pads for a smaller guy and carries the ball with absolutely no regard for his own safety. When he sees and gets a hole, he is jamming himself through it at a hundred miles an hour and if a collision is coming, there is no slowing down. It's bumper cars time. He's also a definite plus as a receiver. Made a couple of really awesome plays on shoot verticals from the slot and from running back and tracks the ball in the air better than most of the guys at running back in this class. North Carolina had him running some stuff that wasn't really his cup of tea awkwardly. Maximizing small holes in inside zone isn't really his jam, though he got low and made the best of it. But when he got to the edge on GT pull plays or outside zone (or the inside zone was blocked so cleanly he couldn't miss it), he absolutely tore up chunks of yardage. He's the explosive/catching back we need for me. Even over Pierre Strong, and I love Pierre Strong because I know that guy is going to maximize his outside zone reps. This is largely because Chandler fits two voids: one in the explosive element we haven't had in the running game from our backs without Mostert and the other is a quality pass catcher on third downs. We've been relying on Jamychal Hasty and Jeff Wilson for those touches and they just aren't dangerous outside of the red zone in that role.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

should of axed him khan

Animated GIF

This isn't to defend Baalke but I've watched Walker for years now, and he at minumum will be a good player in the league. I've seen him compared to Jadeveon Clowney and thats a good one imo. Elite run defender with traits to be able to be an elite pass rusher. 

9 hours ago, JIllg said:

I've done more extensive work on the running backs now, and I can join Forge as an absolute Ty Chandler lover. If Pierre Strong is like Elijah Mitchell - very few false steps, always finding the correct hole, always accelerating and decelerating smoothly and under control, running quite high with just enough behind his pads to get through arm tackles - Chandler is more like Deebo playing running back. Chandler has some missteps and messed up hole reads, but he is incredibly explosive laterally and through acceleration and often jump cuts back onto the correct track once he realizes his mistake. He runs very low and has a lot of thump behind his pads for a smaller guy and carries the ball with absolutely no regard for his own safety. When he sees and gets a hole, he is jamming himself through it at a hundred miles an hour and if a collision is coming, there is no slowing down. It's bumper cars time. He's also a definite plus as a receiver. Made a couple of really awesome plays on shoot verticals from the slot and from running back and tracks the ball in the air better than most of the guys at running back in this class. North Carolina had him running some stuff that wasn't really his cup of tea awkwardly. Maximizing small holes in inside zone isn't really his jam, though he got low and made the best of it. But when he got to the edge on GT pull plays or outside zone (or the inside zone was blocked so cleanly he couldn't miss it), he absolutely tore up chunks of yardage. He's the explosive/catching back we need for me. Even over Pierre Strong, and I love Pierre Strong because I know that guy is going to maximize his outside zone reps. This is largely because Chandler fits two voids: one in the explosive element we haven't had in the running game from our backs without Mostert and the other is a quality pass catcher on third downs. We've been relying on Jamychal Hasty and Jeff Wilson for those touches and they just aren't dangerous outside of the red zone in that role.

I can def see Ty Chandler as an option, I’m still a huge fan of James Cook though and would love to see what he could do in this offense, especially on the receiving end. 

IF Deebo returns, and if he really doesn’t want as many carries out of the backfield, I think Cooks could definitely fill that void

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I can def see Ty Chandler as an option, I’m still a huge fan of James Cook though and would love to see what he could do in this offense, especially on the receiving end. 

IF Deebo returns, and if he really doesn’t want as many carries out of the backfield, I think Cooks could definitely fill that void

Yeah, I really like Cook as a third down receiver out of the backfield. I am fine taking him later on as a second running back, especially after Pierre Strong, who hasn't proven as much as a receiver. But I can't ever trust him with 10+ carries when Elijah Mitchell is out for a game or two. He's not built for it physically. I can with Strong or Chandler or the real wild card Zaquandre White. And if I'm taking one running back in this draft I need them to be at least capable of more than a couple of spot carries as a runner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, I really like Cook as a third down receiver out of the backfield. I am fine taking him later on as a second running back, especially after Pierre Strong, who hasn't proven as much as a receiver. But I can't ever trust him with 10+ carries when Elijah Mitchell is out for a game or two. He's not built for it physically. I can with Strong or Chandler or the real wild card Zaquandre White. And if I'm taking one running back in this draft I need them to be at least capable of more than a couple of spot carries as a runner.

When I run Mock Draft Simulators, I just can't get away from picking Cook if he's there in R3....

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

When I run Mock Draft Simulators, I just can't get away from picking Cook if he's there in R3....

I mean, he's a really talented player and I think he could be worth the 105th pick. But your team has to be passing the ball a ton and passing the ball to running backs a ton. He's gotta be James White or somesuch for you. And even then - I'd personally rather draft a running back with real danger running our bread and butter ground plays earlier on and convert a receiver like Velus Jones to running back in the 4th or fifth and go the Cordarrelle Patterson route for the receiving back/Deebo insurance/6th WR. Velus Jones can and will pull an extra defensive back on the field most of the time to help him when he takes carries. Jones is also rugged enough to take a beating for a game if coached up. Cook is a very talented receiver for a running back, but he's not so dangerous that he makes his own carries more valuable in that way, I don't think. You don't necessarily have to pull a linebacker for a dime backer or corner in order to cope. Plus, for me, Cook's not enough more polished and ready as a runner where he's got that over a receiver convert. Still, value is in the eye of the beholder and if Cook's a Patriot or Bill or Charger catching important passes against linebackers on third down, he'll be quite valuable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Let's say we trade Deebo for the 10th pick, rate your top 3 players you want to take at that pick (assume no trade back).

1. Ikem Ekwonu

2. Garrett Wilson

3. Kyle Hamilton

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Let's say we trade Deebo for the 10th pick, rate your top 3 players you want to take at that pick (assume no trade back).

I seriously would hate that so much lol 

This the top of the market for receivers, so I'd have no real interest in that tbh. 

Linderbaum could maybe be had in the top of the second at this point, so taking him #10 feels like some pretty brutal value in terms of the draft, though I don't hate the selection if it happens. 

Kyle Hamilton makes sense, but at this is also a high quality safety class and I simply don't like Hamilton that much more than I like some of the other guys. 

I think if one of the corners is there, that may be my first pick because I think that position typically drops hard every tier. 

If Ikey is there (which I highly doubt), I'd take him. He can start at RG (holy god the right side of that line run blocking lol) and then move to RT for McG next year. 

Final would be ....

1. Stingley / Sauce

2. Ikey

3. ????? I legit don't know. I suppose one of the receivers but I don't love it. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I seriously would hate that so much lol 

This the top of the market for receivers, so I'd have no real interest in that tbh. 

Linderbaum could maybe be had in the top of the second at this point, so taking him #10 feels like some pretty brutal value in terms of the draft, though I don't hate the selection if it happens. 

Kyle Hamilton makes sense, but at this is also a high quality safety class and I simply don't like Hamilton that much more than I like some of the other guys. 

I think if one of the corners is there, that may be my first pick because I think that position typically drops hard every tier. 

If Ikey is there (which I highly doubt), I'd take him. He can start at RG (holy god the right side of that line run blocking lol) and then move to RT for McG next year. 

Final would be ....

1. Stingley / Sauce

2. Ikey

3. ????? I legit don't know. I suppose one of the receivers but I don't love it. 

Is it likely Stingley or Sauce drop to #10 though??

I think I would go Kayvon or one of the tackles.