2022 NFL Draft #1 (Senior Bowl & Combine)

Forge

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Damn, is this QB class as bad as 2013? 

I don't think it's that bad on the surface, but I think it's somewhere between 2013 and 15/16. 

I think that there will likely be a solid NFL starter or two that comes from this class, but there's no telling who its going to be. So this class doesn't have the pre draft hype of 15/16 with regards to picks 1 / 2 (and frankly, that 2016 draft was all manufactured...nobody on the planet though those were the top two prospects in that draft...the next 5 picks + Tunsil are insane). I could easily see two of these guys be Goff / Wentz / Dak. 

Truthfully, 2015 is probably a closer approximation of what this class feels like, but that 1/2 pick was warranted between Jameis / Mariota that year, I think. You guy a Jameis type, a Mariota type and then nothing else. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I said it a few days ago, but we need to draft McGlinchey's replacement this season. He will be on the roster next season but should not receive a second contract with how much of a cap hit Williams will have in 2023 and going forward. I would love some T/G versatility but it's not a must. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I said it a few days ago, but we need to draft McGlinchey's replacement this season. He will be on the roster next season but should not receive a second contract with how much of a cap hit Williams will have in 2023 and going forward. I would love some T/G versatility but it's not a must. 

The guy who QT that tweet said he's probably a guard at in the NFL, but I'm going to be honest, I don't know why that would be the case. Dude is super long, has some pretty good feet for a right tackle. He seems like a great fit for our annual "draft a tackle with a whole bunch of starts at the college level and has a ton of experience". I think he's a redshirt senior and has like 40 starts under his belt. Otherwise, I don't know a ton about him, tbh. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was kinda hoping that his replacement would be Jaylon Moore. I thought he played well last season when he had the opportunity and now that he has a full NFL offseason, I expect him to take a big step and show it in camp. Same can/should be said for Aaron Banks, 2nd round picks better contribute on year two or I’m considering the pick a bust

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I was kinda hoping that his replacement would be Jaylon Moore. I thought he played well last season when he had the opportunity and now that he has a full NFL offseason, I expect him to take a big step and show it in camp. Same can/should be said for Aaron Banks, 2nd round picks better contribute on year two or I’m considering the pick a bust

I think the plan for Moore may be competing for one of the starting guard spots. The messed up part is the best pass protector at the tackle spot on this team outside of Williams is Brunskill but he's stuck playing guard...He can get bullied with bull rushes but can use his athleticism better against edge rushers. I get it that the tackle spots were pretty much set so guard was the best position for him to get a chance to be on the field, but ideally he should be the swing tackle and someone else at guard. He would have pass protected better than McGlinchey and Compton. But wouldn't have provided what those two did in the run game...But that's why he makes for the ideal swing tackle and not an actual starter. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think the plan for Moore may be competing for one of the starting guard spots. The messed up part is the best pass protector at the tackle spot on this team outside of Williams is Brunskill but he's stuck playing guard...He can get bullied with bull rushes but can use his athleticism better against edge rushers. I get it that the tackle spots were pretty much set so guard was the best position for him to get a chance to be on the field, but ideally he should be the swing tackle and someone else at guard. He would have pass protected better than McGlinchey and Compton. But wouldn't have provided what those two did in the run game...But that's why he makes for the ideal swing tackle and not an actual starter. 

I really like Darian Kinnard for that role. Got a little of the Teven Jenkins syndrome in that he didn't pass protect much in college, but hey, it's not as though our right tackles have pass protected well recently anyways. Kinnard was awesome at the Senior Bowl. He's a road grater, he's reasonably athletic. He has ~35' arms. I see a lot of people projecting him to guard because of his lack of pass pro reps, but he's got the physical ability to get there in pass pro if given time and training and in the meantime he can still be a major plus in the run game. And even further, he's a clean convert into guard immediately short term if McGlinchey's fully healthy this year or long term if he never ends up being able to cut it in pass pro at the NFL level. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:18 AM, Forge said:

Updating this...DeLance didn't get a combine invite, which is fairly big deal. Means that interest in him across the league is pretty tepid. I'd expect a day three pick. Really feels like a good candidate to this years Skule / McKivitz given he has 3 years of starting experience in multiple systems. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Updating this...DeLance didn't get a combine invite, which is fairly big deal. Means that interest in him across the league is pretty tepid. I'd expect a day three pick. Really feels like a good candidate to this years Skule / McKivitz given he has 3 years of starting experience in multiple systems. 

Priority UDFA or a 7th round pick?

Our tackle room is already getting a bit full. Behind Williams and McGlinchey, we have Moore, Skule, and McKivitz. If all three of them remain at tackle, only 1 of them dresses on gameday, maybe another is on the 53 and the 3rd is cut or on the PS. If we bring in a rookie T, I'd assume it's a day 3 guy or priority UDFA like DeLance to battle it out with Skule for the PS spot. 

If we take a T any higher, then McGlinchey's health is in serious question or Shanny really doesn't like Moore. McKivitz has too much versatility and he was a "Gold Helmet" prospect for the Niners. I think they like McKivitz too much to risk losing him.

A lot can, and will, happen between now and April, but this is my initial thinking.

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Priority UDFA or a 7th round pick?

Our tackle room is already getting a bit full. Behind Williams and McGlinchey, we have Moore, Skule, and McKivitz. If all three of them remain at tackle, only 1 of them dresses on gameday, maybe another is on the 53 and the 3rd is cut or on the PS. If we bring in a rookie T, I'd assume it's a day 3 guy or priority UDFA like DeLance to battle it out with Skule for the PS spot. 

If we take a T any higher, then McGlinchey's health is in serious question or Shanny really doesn't like Moore. McKivitz has too much versatility and he was a "Gold Helmet" prospect for the Niners. I think they like McKivitz too much to risk losing him.

A lot can, and will, happen between now and April, but this is my initial thinking.

Don't agree with the bolded at all, but agree with your premise lol.  Skule isn't a thing and the team wanted to make Moore a guard. Not sure how that holds after the season, but given that Laken could be gone and Brunskill is not a good guard, I could easily see Moore and Banks as the starting guard pair next year. The start against the Rams in week 18 was the first time McKivitz played tackle at the NFL level and the idea for him was also to be a guard. I'm not sure how we can say we like him too much when we cut him and he didn't make the team out of camp. I'm not sure that I'm banking on him sticking around and if he does, there's no guarantee that it would be an ideal scenario for him to be at tackle. 

That said, as you indicated, it mostly hinges on McG. IF the team is going to keep him around, then it makes no sense to put a high value draft pick on the tackle spot, though I would be perfectly fine if we did since I don't think he's very good. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't agree with the bolded at all. Skule isn't a thing and the team wanted to make Moore a guard. Not sure how that holds after the season, but given that Laken could be gone and Brunskill is not a good guard, I could easily see Moore and Banks as the starting guard pair next year. The start against the Rams in week 18 was the first time McKivitz played tackle at the NFL level and the idea for him was also to be a guard. I'm not sure how we can say we like him too much when we cut him and he didn't make the team out of camp. I'm not sure that I'm banking on him sticking around. 

To my untrained eye, I thought Moore looked pretty good at LT in pre-season. McKivitz was also pretty good at LG in pre-season. He didn't play well at LT at the end of the season, but his versatility, cheap contract, and gold helmet status with the team means that it's a pretty good bet he sticks around. I don't think Skule has a future with this team, which is why I said I see the Niners bringing someone in to compete for Skule's roster spot. 

Ideally, I'd love to see Brunskill be the versatile OL that's first off the bench at G or T. This is what I hoped for this time last year as well. I think he's best suited for that. 

I can honestly say, and I know it’s very early In The process for draft season, but I have never seen positional rankings so different than each other ever.

i understand the combine is still coming up and a lot is made of that, but what it really comes down to is the tape…….and there are a lot of differing opinions especially when it comes to the top WR’s, RB’s, and CB’s

gotta say something about this draft

Been scouting some DBs so far.. 

i like Martin Emerson out of Miss at 

Cam Taylor Britt out of Nebraska 

late round flyer on reed Blankenship. 

These are some under the radar players that have popped on tape for me so far. 

i wanna hear who else you guys like so I can check them out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 49to5er said:

Been scouting some DBs so far.. 

i like Martin Emerson out of Miss at 

Cam Taylor Britt out of Nebraska 

late round flyer on reed Blankenship. 

These are some under the radar players that have popped on tape for me so far. 

i wanna hear who else you guys like so I can check them out. 

Emerson and CTB are on my watch list as well. Mario Goodrich from Clemson, Tariq Woolen from UTSA, and Alontae Taylor from Tennessee are guys I'm watching as well.

There are a bunch of big zone-heavy corners in this draft. I'd love to see us pull the trigger on one of them in rounds 2-4. 

I think, as of right now, Kaiir Elam is my number one guy who we have a realistic shot at. 

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Emerson and CTB are on my watch list as well. Mario Goodrich from Clemson, Tariq Woolen from UTSA, and Alontae Taylor from Tennessee are guys I'm watching as well.

There are a bunch of big zone-heavy corners in this draft. I'd love to see us pull the trigger on one of them in rounds 2-4. 

I think, as of right now, Kaiir Elam is my number one guy who we have a realistic shot at. 

I keep seeing him (Elam) as a late first guy.