Kenny Vaccaro - What's he worth?

Dome

What do you guys expect us to offer Vaccaro? What do you think he could get on the market?

Sean Payton chest bumping him is a good sign, they're getting along and whethered some hardships along the way. There's no reason to think Vaccaro doesn't want to remain a Saint, by all signs he loves NOLA... let's get a deal done!

I just hope we don't overpay him. I could easily see that happening. He has played well this season, but has also struggled in coverage at times. He is good, at least this year after the benching, but I don't think he is worth Kam type of money.

3 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

What do you guys expect us to offer Vaccaro? What do you think he could get on the market?

Sean Payton chest bumping him is a good sign, they're getting along and whethered some hardships along the way. There's no reason to think Vaccaro doesn't want to remain a Saint, by all signs he loves NOLA... let's get a deal done!

He'll get paid... I'd say top 5 safety ?

Steep but thats the price you pay when you allow a guy to enter a contract year and he balls out 

8 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

He'll get paid... I'd say top 5 safety ?

Steep but thats the price you pay when you allow a guy to enter a contract year and he balls out 

He's got some catching up to do, in my opinion. His first to games weren't just bad, they were horrible.

I hope our front office doesn't get too short of memory, yet also respect the turn around.

I don't know about top 5, but he sure has stepped it up. I also thought he was mediocre in Green Bay, so 2 great games, 2 horrible games, and 2 good games....

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

He's got some catching up to do, in my opinion. His first to games weren't just bad, they were horrible.

I hope our front office doesn't get too short of memory, yet also respect the turn around.

I don't know about top 5, but he sure has stepped it up. I also thought he was mediocre in Green Bay, so 2 great games, 2 horrible games, and 2 good games....

Pretty much sums up his career to date in my opinion. Never know which Vaccaro is going to show up. And he absolutely looked mediocre against the Packers other than the gift wrapped INT from Hundley.

25 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Pretty much sums up his career to date in my opinion. Never know which Vaccaro is going to show up. And he absolutely looked mediocre against the Packers other than the gift wrapped INT from Hundley.

Lets face it... Alot of this will depend on what the staff feels about Von Bell too. If they are comfortable with Bell then they will offer Vaccaro a contract they are comfortable with and if he opts to hit FA then we will just roll with Bell and draft a young reserve. 

4 hours ago, SWATcha said:

And he absolutely looked mediocre against the Packers other than the gift wrapped INT from Hundley.

To be fair, he did exactly what he was supposed to on that play. Make sure nothing gets over the top and be there to make a play if they try anyways. It was a terrible throw, but lots of INTs are. 

Yes, he's made mistakes and looked mediocre. He's also one of the biggest playmakers on the defense. He'll cost us games and he'll close out others in our favor. He's worth keeping IMO.

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

To be fair, he did exactly what he was supposed to on that play. Make sure nothing gets over the top and be there to make a play if they try anyways. It was a terrible throw, but lots of INTs are. 

Yes, he's made mistakes and looked mediocre. He's also one of the biggest playmakers on the defense. He'll cost us games and he'll close out others in our favor. He's worth keeping IMO.

I believe he was in on both of the run TDs as well where you can see him kinda of give a half arse try. Vaccaro is what he is. I agree he's worth keeping at the right price. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Saints may overpay a tad just so they dont end up with the same situation they had when Harper and Jenkins left. Vaccaro is the leader of the DBs and his presence in the locker room would be missed. 

9 minutes ago, SSK said:

The Saints may overpay a tad just so they dont end up with the same situation they had when Harper and Jenkins left. Vaccaro is the leader of the DBs and his presence in the locker room would be missed. 

Agreed

I still think between 7-9 mil per is where he deserves to be paid.  That puts him in the top 10-5 of NFL Safeties, which is reasonable for a leader and his occasional great games that get paired with occasional crap games.  If we offer him lower, he'll balk, if he offer him higher, we are overpaying.  I mean I wouldn't mind seeing higher than 9 mil, but only if it is highly incentive based to get past 9 mil avg.  Things like leading the league in INTs/FF, 5+ sacks, etc.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I still think between 7-9 mil per is where he deserves to be paid.  That puts him in the top 10-5 of NFL Safeties, which is reasonable for a leader and his occasional great games that get paired with occasional crap games.  If we offer him lower, he'll balk, if he offer him higher, we are overpaying.  I mean I wouldn't mind seeing higher than 9 mil, but only if it is highly incentive based to get past 9 mil avg.  Things like leading the league in INTs/FF, 5+ sacks, etc.

I'd be fine with 8.5-10m per year with the way the cap is going up. QB cap hits might be breaking $30m in the next year or so, so we get Vaccaro for $10m now, he might look like a steal come 2019.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I'd be fine with 8.5-10m per year with the way the cap is going up. QB cap hits might be breaking $30m in the next year or so, so we get Vaccaro for $10m now, he might look like a steal come 2019.

Another thing to consider is the fact that the Saints will likley be reshuffling their top paid players this offseason. As of now... Unger, Fleener, Fairley and Strief are all in the top 10 paid on the team. All 4 of them have contracts that would allow the Saints to make them post june 1 cuts and save a ton of money. Fleener wont be here based on production, Fairley due to health, Strief either to retirement or as a cap causality. Unger is interesting because hes like 33 years old with a big contract number and his play jas dipped over the last 2 years. I could see the Saints targeting a young starting center in the draft to replace him.

Vaccaro clearly will enter the top 10 this offseason. The Saints will want to extend Oakfor and Brees will get a new deal and I have a feeling they will reward Jordan in some way. Money will need to be freed up and those 4 I pointed out will be on the hot seat moving foward. 

Archived