Kenny Vaccaro - What's he worth?

Dome

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Unger is interesting because hes like 33 years old with a big contract number and his play jas dipped over the last 2 years. I could see the Saints targeting a young starting center in the draft to replace him.

He nearly broke the record for fewest pressures in a season last year, probably his best season ever. I don't think his decline has been over the last 2 years.

He's coming of foot surgery that occurred pretty late in the offseason. I'd say his decline is a surgery induced slump until proven otherwise. He's still a good pass protector he just can't get any push in the run game, and I think his foot is the culprit. 

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

He nearly broke the record for fewest pressures in a season last year, probably his best season ever. I don't think his decline has been over the last 2 years.

He's coming of foot surgery that occurred pretty late in the offseason. I'd say his decline is a surgery induced slump until proven otherwise. He's still a good pass protector he just can't get any push in the run game, and I think his foot is the culprit. 

Its more of of this part... We need to understand we have become more of a running team and every year good players get cut/moved due to age and contract status. The Saints are in a youth movement and could view Unger as expendable especially if they find themselves in a position late in the first round with a top center prospect available to them. Im not saying Unger is def out but due to his age, contract status and direction of the offense I think he will not be on this roster beyond 2018.

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Its more of of this part... We need to understand we have become more of a running team and every year good players get cut/moved due to age and contract status. The Saints are in a youth movement and could view Unger as expendable especially if they find themselves in a position late in the first round with a top center prospect available to them. Im not saying Unger is def out but due to his age, contract status and direction of the offense I think he will not be on this roster beyond 2018.

Yeah that's fair. 

If we don't have one fall into our laps though, I don't think replacing Unger is a huge need.

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah that's fair. 

If we don't have one fall into our laps though, I don't think replacing Unger is a huge need.

No 

Only if the Saints really love a young interior O-lineman such as Ohio States Billy Price or Arkansas Frank Ragnow at the end of round 1 or if they trade back into the top of round 2. Even still i could see the Saints hanging onto Unger for another year while that young lineman develops into the starting role then make the transition after next year. The need of the position would justify the pick, just look at how much the Saints have had to use their backup lineman this year.

Heres another catch tho... That young linemen might already be on the roster making Unger expendable. The Saints and particularly Sean Payton is VERY high on Cameron Tom. So much so he doubled his salary and then boosted him to the active 53 to keep him from signing elsewhere. Keep an eye on Tom, he could very well be the future at center.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

His leadership to the young guys is a big reason I want to keep him. Last time we lost a leader on defense things really took a turn for the worst. Let's hope we're able to keep him at a reasonable price.

I agree

I love Kenny's swag and leadership qualities and I feel hes finally in a position to really shine with Lattimore and Williams surrounding him. Now is not the time to let Vaccaro leave.

54 minutes ago, hsfolk said:

let the market dictate his value and if it's within reason then match it or give a little extra 

I hope they don’t let him test the market. Someone will offer more than he’s worth, but if he never sees that contract on the table, we might have a chance

Per the title of the tread, I guess we're going to find out his value (at least in part) this Sunday when he's sitting on the sidelines.

Put games 1 & 2 on the shelf, and look at the rest of the season.

He's at 3 int's so far, which is his best total for a season, and there's (for him) 7 games left.
He's got the 2nd most defensed passes of any Strong Safety, behind only Micah Hyde (Iowa Boy, Go Hawks) of the Bills.
And he's got the most tattoos of any of our defense! Tattoos don't just happen over night.

This is going to be a huge game for our D to see how they respond to not having Vaccaro on the field.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, domepatrol91 said:

I hope they don’t let him test the market. Someone will offer more than he’s worth, but if he never sees that contract on the table, we might have a chance

Some may not think this but its a angle i think will matter to Kenny... Oakfor is his best friend and he deserves a contract extention as well. Id be willing to bet Kenny takes a hometown discount if it means his BFF gets a deal too.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Some may not think this but its a angle i think will matter to Kenny... Oakfor is his best friend and he deserves a contract extention as well. Id be willing to bet Kenny takes a hometown discount if it means his BFF gets a deal too.

I could see the two of them sticking around to stay on a young defense together. Kenny was a big reason Okafor came to NOLA

6 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Interesting. I'd like to see how this plays out.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

What would you guys think about 4yrs/30m?

I would be okay with that. 

If he finishes the year strong, that offer will make him laugh right out the door. If he’s rusty or doesn’t bounce back from the injury right away maybe we get him for that though.

46 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

If he finishes the year strong, that offer will make him laugh right out the door. If he’s rusty or doesn’t bounce back from the injury right away maybe we get him for that though.

He isn't a Top 5 SS. He will probably get paid like one though, which sucks for our cap. I don't think we can afford to let him go though. His leadership means too much and he is pretty darn good against the run at times.

Archived