2021 regular season projections.

diehardlionfan

It’s that time of year where we get to make predictions on the upcoming season.

1. Sewell struggles until week three when his game comes together.

2. Goff plays well for the Lions allowing them to not take a QB in the next draft.

3. TJ becomes the number one weapon and sets career highs.

4. The Lions win three games

5. The defensive line becomes a team strength.

6. Swift rushes for over 1000 yards and adds 500 yards receiving.

7. The Lions receiving group plays much better than expected.

• Like 1

1. Sewell struggles...all year making us wonder why we didn't take Fields. HV struggles on the right compounding matters.

2. Defense is still really bad.  DL shows glimpses, but is still bad. A significant injury will happen and we will blame it on this.

3. Okudah makes a significant stride in year two showing he has something worth waiting for.

4. Lack of receivers keeps defenses playing in close shutting down our running game.

5. We won't know what we have in Goff because the rest of the team is so bad.

6. We will be playing for the first overall pick. 1-2 wins.

7. We will love the coaching staff's attitude, but wonder if it is the right way to go and question play calling.

8. We will still not like Quintricia.

• Like 1

1. Sewell settles in and has a good rookie year.

2. Hockenson and Swift both prove to be building blocks.

3. Receiving core is a bit of a wreck. St. Brown shows some promise.

4. Team is a lot more competitive than expected. Wins 5 to 7 games. 

5. Goff plays well enough that the Lions aren't desperate to get rid of him but not so well that they know they have a franchise QB.

6. Okudah has a break-out year.

7. Defense performs much better than expected.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

1. Sewell settles in and has a good rookie year.

2. Hockenson and Swift both prove to be building blocks.

3. Receiving core is a bit of a wreck. St. Brown shows some promise.

4. Team is a lot more competitive than expected. Wins 5 to 7 games. 

5. Goff plays well enough that the Lions aren't desperate to get rid of him but not so well that they know they have a franchise QB.

6. Okudah has a break-out year.

7. Defense performs much better than expected.

Really hoping this happens.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:09 AM, diehardlionfan said:

It’s that time of year where we get to make predictions on the upcoming season.

1. Sewell struggles until week three when his game comes together.

2. Goff plays well for the Lions allowing them to not take a QB in the next draft.

3. TJ becomes the number one weapon and sets career highs.

4. The Lions win three games

5. The defensive line becomes a team strength.

6. Swift rushes for over 1000 yards and adds 500 yards receiving.

7. The Lions receiving group plays much better than expected.

If Goff plays well, then the team will win more than three games. Good QB play regardless of how bad or mediocre the rest of the team is will almost always net a team 5-6 wins. 

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Goff plays well, then the team will win more than three games. Good QB play regardless of how bad or mediocre the rest of the team is will almost always net a team 5-6 wins. 

Normally I would agree but the Lions have a very tough schedule. They’ve had excellent QB play in the past (Stafford is no slouch) which hasn’t always resulted in wins due to roster quality. I think Goff will play well enough to allow the Lions to ignore QB in next years draft. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Counterpoint: 2020 Deshaun Watson.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Counterpoint: 2020 Deshaun Watson.

VERY rare someone plays that good and the team only wins four games...But I mean the Texans still won 4 games and there is an extra game on the schedule this year...So let's give the Lions 5 wins if Goff plays well lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

VERY rare someone plays that good and the team only wins four games...But I mean the Texans still won 4 games and there is an extra game on the schedule this year...So let's give the Lions 5 wins if Goff plays well lol.

I mean, Goff playing well with this cast doesn't even approach Watson's production lol. If Goff comes close to Watson's production, just call him Jared God. 🤣

• Like 1

1. We will be competitive in most games.  Our lack of talent will show through but I think we rarely get blown out and win a couple games we shouldn't.

2. We finally see some development from young guys.  I think Hock takes a big step forward, Okudah will have a good year, and enough other young guys like Levi/Alim/Barnes show enough to give us confidence in this staff's ability to scout and develop talent.  

3. Our defense will finish top 15 in the league.  Not sure why I feel this way but I am excited to see the young guys on the D Line and I think Flowers earns some of his money this year.  That and a better system and having Glenn improves our DBs.  I still think LB is going to be an issue but I think we are better than most think on that side of the ball. 

4.  We will rush for 2,000 yards this year.  Not a single player but I see Swift and Williams being in that 900 yard range with others bringing in the last 200 or so.  Our O line is built for it and given the lack of pass catchers, pounding the ball will be the key to keeping the defense fresh and helping my prediction 3 come to fruition. 

5. We still likely will have a top 3 pick, and I think we use it on an edge pass rusher like Thibodeaux.  We will grab a S or LB with our second first round pick and a WR in the 2nd round.  We will sign a couple decent players now that Dan Campbell shows he can lead a team and players want to come play for him.  It will make for an exciting season of Hard Knocks in 2022. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

3. Our defense will finish top 15 in the league.  Not sure why I feel this way but I am excited to see the young guys on the D Line and I think Flowers earns some of his money this year.  That and a better system and having Glenn improves our DBs.  I still think LB is going to be an issue but I think we are better than most think on that side of the ball. 

4.  We will rush for 2,000 yards this year.  Not a single player but I see Swift and Williams being in that 900 yard range with others bringing in the last 200 or so.  Our O line is built for it and given the lack of pass catchers, pounding the ball will be the key to keeping the defense fresh and helping my prediction 3 come to fruition. 

That clang everyone just heard were brass balls smacking together.  Very ballsy statements. If this turns out, I'd expect us to be better than a top 3 pick.

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

That clang everyone just heard were brass balls smacking together.  Very ballsy statements. If this turns out, I'd expect us to be better than a top 3 pick.

Haha, I don't think we score enough, but we run it enough to not allow high scores and we still struggle to find the end zone.  We may end up top 5 but the schedule is tough. Probably a dumb prediction but I think one helps the other and we can still suck with progress being made. 

• Like 1

Just now, LionArkie said:

I'm kind of feeling like a Debbie downer here. It appears most are very optimistic about this club.  It's going to be an interesting year to root for these guys as there are so many unknowns with this team.

I'm not confident, but I think we are better than the media has made us out to be.  I feel coaching and desire are important and we upgraded drastically there and some teams have coaches/QBs/situations where they lack that motivation like we did last year and take a step back.