2021 regular season projections.

diehardlionfan

Yeah, my thing is our talent Quin brought in and I think it isn't very good.  Then we lost our strength in Stafford and our receivers.  Now we are relying on a rookie interior dline, and a revamped right side of the line. I'm just not confident our veteran talent is greater than last years. In fact I think it is a lot worse.  I think we are moving in the right direction with youth, but they're just "pups". I think we will see glimpses of what can be, and unfortunately will still struggle.  I think the 3 players I'm most excited to see this year are Levi, McNeill and Barnes. I think they could very well be the core of this team in the future. If Okudah steps up like I think he will, we are going to be set up good if those other rookies show out.  For the first time, I'm excited to see us more than likely lose.

However, all of this comes down to coaching and although not a complete unknown very "pup-ish" as well for Campbell. It's a very interesting experiment to have nothing but former players.  I hope it works out as it could be a great blue print for teams in the future.

Here's to a hopefully fun season to watch.
Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Edited by LionArkie

5 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, my thing is our talent Quinn brought in and I think it isn't very good.  Then we lost our strength in Stafford and our receivers.  Now we are relying on a rookie interior dline, and a revamped right side of the line. I'm just not confident our veteran talent is greater than last years. In fact I think it is a lot worse.  I think we are moving in the right direction with youth, but they're just "pups". I think we will see glimpses of what can be, and unfortunately will still struggle.  I think the 3 players I'm most excited to see this year are Levi, McNeil and Barnes. I think they could very well be the core of this team in the future. If Okudah steps up like I think he will, we are going to be set up good if those other rookies show out.  For the first time, I'm excited to see us more than likely lose.

However, all of this comes down to coaching and although not a complete unknown very "pup-ish" as well for Campbell. It's a very interesting experiment to have nothing but former players.  I hope it works out as it could be a great blue print for teams in the future.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

I can see that, and I agree a lot of the talent Quin brought in wasn't great but I also think Patricia didn't help the talent reach potential.  Flowers was next to trash and now he has Brockers and two top picks along the line.  The system is very different and should play to the strengths rather than plugging guys into a system.  The O line was pretty good last year and we added Sewell.  So if he struggles, which I think he might in pass protection but will be great in run blocking. Yes the WRs got worse, but not much since KG was hurt all year last year.  

Also, its buy in from players and desire to fight for a coach.  We didn't have that at all the last three years and I think we just have some improvements due to that.  So while we downgraded in some areas, we improved in others.  We had a historically bad defense last year and added a lot to it, plus guys like Okudah finally had a real off season.  I fully expect that to improve with the changes to system and personnel and should offset what we lost on offense IMO.  So we likely will have a similar year record wise, we will be better and pointing in the right direction. 

• Like 2

What I am most interested in seeing is nothing numbers related exactly, but how well the players and coaches handle adversity because we know they are not going to win very many games. Will Dan Campbell be able to handle the stress and keep the ship pointed in the correct direction amidst the losing? I liken this year's Lions to the Pistons in a best case scenario - they play hard, show improvement over the course of the season, and an overall commitment to playing as a team. Still get a high pick of course, but there is some actual reason for hope going forward.

As for some predictions:

1. Win 4-6 games
  2. Swift is a borderline pro bowler
  3. Hockenson gets 85 receptions
  4. The defensive line shows massive improvement
  5. No receiver gets over 45 receptions
  6. Romeo Okwara gets 13 sacks
  7. Okudah will rank in the top half of cornerbacks in the league

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I mean, Goff playing well with this cast doesn't even approach Watson's production lol. If Goff comes close to Watson's production, just call him Jared God. 🤣

I mean it's not like Watson had GREAT weapons but no one ever said that Goff needs to put up the type of numbers Watson put up. Watson is clearly levels above Goff. But if the Lions can get good, solid ball from Goff? Then they will be able to win more than three games. It didn't even make sense how bad the Texans were despite Watson's great play. They just kept losing tight games week after week. I mean the roster was terrible but with Watson playing that well, they shouldn't have lost 5 consecutive games to end the season. 

The DL has potential to be pretty good and the OL by the end of the season could be very solid as well. That to go along with solid play from Goff and potentially a decent run game? That's a formula for more than three wins...And I don't think anything I said here is unrealistic. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean it's not like Watson had GREAT weapons but no one ever said that Goff needs to put up the type of numbers Watson put up. Watson is clearly levels above Goff. But if the Lions can get good, solid ball from Goff? Then they will be able to win more than three games. It didn't even make sense how bad the Texans were despite Watson's great play. They just kept losing tight games week after week. I mean the roster was terrible but with Watson playing that well, they shouldn't have lost 5 consecutive games to end the season. 

The DL has potential to be pretty good and the OL by the end of the season could be very solid as well. That to go along with solid play from Goff and potentially a decent run game? That's a formula for more than three wins...And I don't think anything I said here is unrealistic. 

I think if Goff plays well the Lions win 7ish games. Just saying that it isn't guaranteed.

I think that this is probably a 2-5 win team. 5 wins if Goff plays really well and most things go right. 

There are some good individual players on this team. There are some solid position groups. 

There are some serious holes and not a ton of depth. If just a couple of key players go down things could get really bad really quickly. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

4.  We will rush for 2,000 yards this year.  Not a single player but I see Swift and Williams being in that 900 yard range with others bringing in the last 200 or so.  Our O line is built for it and given the lack of pass catchers, pounding the ball will be the key to keeping the defense fresh and helping my prediction 3 come to fruition. 

This kinda leads into my prediction for the 2021 season:

The curse of the 2nd round picks continues and Swift struggles to remain healthy. However, Jefferson and Igwebuike are surprisingly effective in larger than anticipated roles.

8 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, my thing is our talent Quin brought in and I think it isn't very good.  Then we lost our strength in Stafford and our receivers.  Now we are relying on a rookie interior dline, and a revamped right side of the line. I'm just not confident our veteran talent is greater than last years. In fact I think it is a lot worse.  I think we are moving in the right direction with youth, but they're just "pups". I think we will see glimpses of what can be, and unfortunately will still struggle.  I think the 3 players I'm most excited to see this year are Levi, McNeill and Barnes. I think they could very well be the core of this team in the future. If Okudah steps up like I think he will, we are going to be set up good if those other rookies show out.  For the first time, I'm excited to see us more than likely lose.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

It seems my expectations are similar to yours. I don't expect a big swing in wins and losses. I'm just excited we're no longer being run by Quintricia so the absence of hope I've been feeling is now gone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I've seen the rumors, but still nothing from the team other than full confidence he will play and not be on a snap count. 

I think that he'll have a really good year. At the same time, they aren't going to run him into the ground. There's a reason that they signed Jamaal Williams - part of it is that they really want to run the ball, the other reason is probably that they don't want to put a ton of miles on Swift in a year where we probably won't be all that competitive. 

8 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I think that he'll have a really good year. At the same time, they aren't going to run him into the ground. There's a reason that they signed Jamaal Williams - part of it is that they really want to run the ball, the other reason is probably that they don't want to put a ton of miles on Swift in a year where we probably won't be all that competitive. 

I am assuming he was implying something about the murder charge rumors from reddit ruining his breakout season.  There is a tweet out now showing a screen shot implicating him but no charges or anything has been discussed about it. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am assuming he was implying something about the murder charge rumors from reddit ruining his breakout season.  There is a tweet out now showing a screen shot implicating him but no charges or anything has been discussed about it. 

Correct! 

And the tip was emailed a few months ago so you would think by now they would have at least interviewed him. Hopefully this isn't real though and he wasn't involved in anything like that. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct! 

And the tip was emailed a few months ago so you would think by now they would have at least interviewed him. Hopefully this isn't real though and he wasn't involved in anything like that. 

Wonder if an "anonymous tip" implicating Nick Bosa in a murder right before the 49ers play the Rams would do anything . . . 😉