Week 1 GDT - Detroit Lions vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Let's start this thread a few days before we usually do it! At one point the Niners were the biggest favorites in week 1 and I don't think anything has changed in regard to that. But it is an early road game and we know those games can be a little funky. Still, no question we are the far more talented team.

Obviously the big thing everyone will talk about is the QB situation and how exactly Shanny will implement the two QBs. I think even if Lance's finger heals and he is healthy enough to go, they will take it easy this week and will only sprinkle him in to change the looks and get some zone read/pistol formation runs for the backs. 

The Lions DL is not bad but they shouldn't be able to stop this offense. Kittle should have a big game and I think Deebo will be heavily involved in both the pass and run game. He should get close to 10 touches overall. But obviously the run game will be what Shanny tries to lean heavily on.

Defensively, I'm curious to see just how aggressive Ryans is. He said he wants to be more aggressive than the defense was the last few years but I think some of that will depend on just how effective the front four is to getting to Goff. Excited to see Bosa back on the field along with Ford and then I want to see the depth of the DL in full force. I expect the DL to rotate almost every series and just wear the Lions OL out. With Tartt back, he's almost surely going to start, but will Ryans find ways to get Hunfanga on the field? 

Something few people talk about is our gunners and how average they are. But when Sherfield was signed, he was expected to be one of the gunners. Is that still going to happen with him having a bigger role offensively than initially expected? It's funny because if Mostert/Sherfield were the gunners, this would be one of the best STs in the league...But there is a good chance that neither will be a gunner. If not, I hope Mitchell is one of the gunners and we can take advantage of his speed. 

I don't usually feel comfortable predicting multiple score wins on early road games, but I just think eventually the depth and physicality of this team will wear Detroit out. Goff has struggled mightily against this defense and that will continue on Sunday.

SF 31 Detroit 13

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm sure it'll be fine though 

Sheesh, I knew he was bad against us, but didn't know he was that bad lol.

I will say that there are always some funky results in week 1. Teams aren't fully sharp and that allows for some upsets to take place. I think for at least the first half this game could be a bit ugly and competitive. 

• Like 1

So pumped for this one. Flying out to Detroit this weekend to see in person, going to see my old buddy Harbaugh and Michigan the day before.

All I can say is I typically hate week one football. Sloppy, upsets, refs don’t let them play, etc. So it’s tough to predict but I’d be surprised if the offense doesn’t put up at least 30 and will be just as surprised if the defense gives up more than one TD. 

Besides the QB situation, I think I’m most excited to see how Bosa and Ford’s comeback goes. Expecting to see Goff panicked in the pocket and throwing some forced picks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Gareon Conley differently apparently has pissed everyone off. No idea some of these random cb signings

I just don't get this to be honest. Again, if you want a wily veteran, then go Sherman. If you want solid corner depth, go with someone younger like Conley. 

So Dontae Johnson will almost surely be cut? 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just don't get this to be honest. Again, if you want a wily veteran, then go Sherman. If you want solid corner depth, go with someone younger like Conley. 

So Dontae Johnson will almost surely be cut? 

I assumed someone was hurt. I think Johnson was nicked up a bit. We will see what happens, but could just be someone headed to IR

This shouldn't even be a game. Really, the first two games the 49ers should win by 20 points each, and it should feel farther than that. The Lions and Eagles are both rebuilding, and have two first time head coaches. It's early in the season, where every team still has to learn how to gel, but that is usually more so for teams like the Lions/Eagles. Also since it's early, the squad is healthy. I expect domination even with the 49ers being on the road. I don't want Shanahan to lose to the cartoon character that is Dan Campbell. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

This shouldn't even be a game. Really, the first two games the 49ers should win by 20 points each, and it should feel farther than that. The Lions and Eagles are both rebuilding, and have two first time head coaches. It's early in the season, where every team still has to learn how to gel, but that is usually more so for teams like the Lions/Eagles. Also since it's early, the squad is healthy. I expect domination even with the 49ers being on the road. I don't want Shanahan to lose to the cartoon character that is Dan Campbell. 

Win by 20+ each? Sheesh, this is the NFL after all lol. We should definitely win the first two games but they are both on the road with an early start time. There is a reason West Coast teams usually struggle in those games. I'll just take two wins. 

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Win by 20+ each? Sheesh, this is the NFL after all lol. We should definitely win the first two games but they are both on the road with an early start time. There is a reason West Coast teams usually struggle in those games. I'll just take two wins. 

I guess we'll be at the opposite ends of this rhetoric for the end of time. Never really bought into the early start time superstition. Didn't stop the 49ers squashing the Saints and Falcons every year for like 15 years on the road. The better squad just rises to the top. It's as simple as that. Squashing inferior competition is important, and there really isn't any excuse as to why the 49ers shouldn't dominate the Lions and Eagles. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1