2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

18 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Not sure how that happened.

Ever since the realization of "risers" and "fallers" in the draft process pretty much chalks up to the media just catching up to what NFL teams have mostly been thinking all along I haven't invested myself too much in that regard. To be honest it's getting harder and harder to really look too much into multiple prospects. I'm getting content to just do in-depth research on prospects after the Ravens draft them. 

It's still fun though. I love the offseason for sports almost as much as watching actual games played. Roster building just does it for me.

Glad to have you here at footballsfuture dot com :)

Been a few weeks since I last posted a mock draft.  Here's what I got using PFN's Mock Draft Simulator

Pick 14 - traded to NO along with #76 for #18 and a 2023 1st (they picked Kenny Pickett)

Pick 18 - Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, FSU

PFN is obviously lower on Johnson than a fair bit of draft media.  IIRC DJ has Johnson ranked in the top 10 prospects.  This is basically a "BPA at a position of need" pick

Pick 45 - traded to MIN along with #110 for Pick 46 and 87 (this was just too good value to pass up - they picked Roger McCreary)

Pick 46 - Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa

Another player that a number of draft media that I follow/read are seemingly higher on than PFN is, this is another "BPA at a position of need" pick.  He's incredibly raw and needs his pass blocking technique changed a fair bit, but with Stanley/Moses/James/Mekari already being potential starters at OT, we'd have the time to coach him up a bit

Pick 87 - Logan Hall, DT, Houston

A tall, 5-tech/3-tech whose a bit of an athletic freak (RAS 9.81) with good power and who is decent in the run game.  I've seen some late first-early second round hype, so to get him in the mid 3rd round could be a bit of a steal.  Adds some much needed youth and explosiveness to our DL

Pick 100 - Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson 

Where Ross goes is almost entirely dependent on his medicals.  He flashed 1s round talent as a freshman, before playing through injury and then being sidelined with a congenital neck issue that required surgery and cost him the entire 2020 season.  He then played through a foot injury in 2021.  This is basically a dart throw at getting a true X receiver with size (he's 6'3.5") and how can block on the cheap (yes I'm aware this sounds like a different, more injury prone version of Miles Boykin).   

Pick 119 - Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

Basically a Tavon Young replacement, Jones is also an undersized slot CB who is tough and a willing tackler who struggles against larger receivers.  He's Dane Brugler's 8th ranked CB prospect.  He's also an elite return talent.    

Pick 128 - Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia

A massive TE at 6'7 251lbs, who if you go by his Pro-Day numbers is a true athletic freak at a position known for freaks (RAS 10, highest ever for a TE), is a good option as a Y TE who could be a good complement to Mark Andrews/eventual replacement for Nick Boyle.  Has shown to be a good blocker with good hands who can make catches if needed, but doesn't really show a whole heap of receiving chops on tape

Pick 139 - Troy Anderson, LB, Montana State

Who knows what our LB room is going to look like next season at this stage.  Anderson is a smart, athletic LB who lacks experience at the position (having only switched to the position after being a dual threat QB for his first two years in college), but nonetheless still earned the FCS DPOY in 2021.  Would make a good developmental LB who could be useful on special teams while he refines his play recognition and tackling technique 

Pick 141 - Cole Strange, IOL, Chatanooga

I'm basically basing this pick on his reasonably impressive Senior Bowl practices - I'd see strange as a potential future starter at C who can at least provide IOL depth.  Brandon Thorn rates his as a 3rd round prospect, so getting him at the end of round 4 seems like decent value

Pick 196 - Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama

CB is probably the position at which a 6th round pick is most likely to make the team, and Jobe has decent size/length and is willing in the run game.  Would make decent depth, but I'd only want him to be CB5 or CB6 on the opening day roster

• Like 4

Green seems to be falling in multiple mocks, I think Zion Johnson seems to be leapfrogging him on enough boards because of the superior athletic testing and his senior bowl performance.

Personally I’m hoping Green falls to the 2nd round, he’d be a perfect fit within our scheme and the more he falls, the more comfortable I feel going defense in round 1 and knowing we’ll still come away with (IMO) a future elite OL (assuming their are no underlying health issues I don’t know about leading to the fall).

Also I love the idea of adding Justyn Ross (do it in most of my mocks as well), big receiver with 1st round talent in most draft classes, especially if medical wasn’t an issue. What’s more, the way I see it, until we’ve got an elite receiving unit, we shouldn’t be afraid to invest in the position each draft season.

If a guy like James Proche can’t survive the cut, then that seems like a much better problem to have than in years past where we all freak out over a Demetrius Williams or Tandon Doss offseason highlight reel and think they’re going to be the next Derrick Mason or something.

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Would devin bush be slightly surprise pick?

Devin Bush would be an incredibly surprising pick, given that he's the starting ILB for the Steelers 😅. That understandable error aside, I do think Devin Lloyd would be a surprising pick. I could see us reaching for a player at a need position if we couldn't trade down or even going BPA-WR, before we'd pick another ILB in the 1st Round.

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Devin Bush would be an incredibly surprising pick, given that he's the starting ILB for the Steelers 😅. That understandable error aside, I do think Devin Lloyd would be a surprising pick. I could see us reaching for a player at a need position if we couldn't trade down or even going BPA-WR, before we'd pick another ILB in the 1st Round.

I’m telling y’all now don’t be surprised if Devin Lloyd is the pick especially if this bobby Wagner thing fails to take hold… I could see Lloyd at 14 Ojabo at 45… giving us the most potential we have had at LB since AD Ray Bart and Suggs… sign Gilmore or PP with the Wagner money and bring back Calais or sign Dunlap… and fill in the rest of the depth chart as we see fit… yeah OJabo will he a wait and bowser is in recovery… but hey this is building a team not just forcing a fit… take ojabo and double up in the 3rd or early 4th with and insurance pick… and don’t forget how much the coaches liked Daelin Hayes… I’m just saying elite LB play is synonymous with our teams history…. 

19 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Let’s say, all the top edge, cab and OT prospects are off the board. What’s our next move other than a trade down? Would devin bush be slightly surprise pick? Or do you think we’d reach for a slightly lesser prospect?

I think if McDuffie or Lloyd are both there one of them is the pick

On 3/27/2022 at 9:38 PM, Boodgyman5220 said:

Let’s say, all the top edge, cab and OT prospects are off the board. What’s our next move other than a trade down? Would devin lloyd be slightly surprise pick? Or do you think we’d reach for a slightly lesser prospect?

I’d draft Jordan Davis.

I’ve been thinking more and more about what Davis could do as a 5T, I’ve just been watching too many plays where he resets the LOS and with his explosiveness, speed, and strength and I find it hard to believe he couldn’t melt pockets in the same vein as a Richard Seymour and/or Haloti Ngata when they manned the 5T spot for perennial top 5 defenses.

If not Davis, I’d probably opt for Kenyon Green. Give Lamar an elite LG and call it a day. I like Devin Lloyd but if we’re not electing for a generational prospect like Davis and/or Stingley Jr, than I’d favor protecting our current generational prospect. 

45 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

So would u take McDuffie over Stingley

Yeah, personally I think McDuffie at worst is a very good #2 corner with the potential to be an All Pro (he's relatively new to the position but is already very refined).

Stingley to me has top 2-3 CB in the league potential but I could also very easily see him flame out and be a huge bust.

Ravens aren't typically within striking range of top prospects, and the value drop off after the early guys is pretty steep. So I could see us making a move up, but it's not likely imo. I think they'll keep those extra early round picks and pray one of the 8 falls. 

Also Kyle Hamilton and Jermaine Johnson should be factored into this 'prized players' pool. Even with us adding Marcus Williams, the FO would be ecstatic to land Hamilton and Johnson is a no brainer. So it's really 10 players. From there you just have to hope a couple teams in the Top 13 fall in love with a couple of the QBs, WRs, or even someone like Jordan Davis.

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Ravens aren't typically within striking range of top prospects, and the value drop off after the early guys is pretty steep. So I could see us making a move up, but it's not likely imo. I think they'll keep those extra early round picks and pray one of the 8 falls. 

Also Kyle Hamilton and Jermaine Johnson should be factored into this 'prized players' pool. Even with us adding Marcus Williams, the FO would be ecstatic to land Hamilton and Johnson is a no brainer. So it's really 10 players. From there you just have to hope a couple teams in the Top 13 fall in love with a couple of the QBs, WRs, or even someone like Jordan Davis.

Meh. IMO some of those guys are very much overrated. I was high on Charles Cross and pointed him out early within this thread, but the idea that he’s a slam dunk top 10 that’s on another level above Kenyon Green is absurd IMO. He has legitimate flaws within his game that I feel makes him far more likely to bust.

Travin Walker hasn’t produced enough for me to feel he’s somehow a slam dunk option either. He’s a great ball of clay that has shown versatility and athleticism and impact, but he hasn’t proven elite hood at the position. Another bust level option.

Evan Neal I really like as well but his play strength, particularly as a run blocker, have been documented. He should be an elite pass protector though, don’t feel he’s particularly overrated but still not god tier.

Ikey is certainly a crazy run blocker, but his pass blocking isn’t elite tier and his technique is all over the place. You hope to coach him up and it takes, while I’m confident he excels, the wrong team, and I think there’s some bust potential there.

Stingley Jr I have high up, but the injury bust consideration is high there as well.

So all in all, I absolutely would not trade up. The top 10 looks pretty weak sauce. The drop off to me happens around pick 28 or so, otherwise most of the prospects are tightly coiled IMO. I mean you’re talking McDuffie vs Stingley Jr or Travon Walker vs George Karlaftis. Or Cross vs Kenyon Green. Those aren’t the steep declines that one would find in a draft that had a Myles Garrett or a Bosa in the top 10.

Personally I see a subtle drop off. This list doesn’t include arguably the best OL in college football, Tyler Linderbaum. So I just find this all to be a little dramatic. The top 10 isn’t filled with elite athletes that have absolutely proven it on the field with elite production and elite measureables. It looks more like a top 10 landmine where the true values might be had well outside the top 10.

Jordan Davis develops into a pass rusher and he might be a HOF that isn’t included there. Linderbaum isn’t included. Jermaine Johnson might be that late bloomer turned elite NFL pass rusher. George Karlaftis is only 20 and has shown some top pass rushing technique and could turn into a 10+ sack guy. Devin Lloyd might be a PB caliber player and he’s not included there. All the WRs in this class that have impact potential.

So yeah, I find this notion of that top 8 incredibly weird. They’re not the difference makers the list would have one believe.

I’d far rather trade down and maximize value at around pick 24 or so.

• Like 2