2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

12 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Yeah, Jordan Davis needs to be a Raven. 

I understand he dominated college football, where the bulk of top teams feature strong rushing attacks, but the NFL is a passing league and he seemed to be not very impactful in passing situations; he was either on the sidelines or just not making an impact on those downs from what I saw.

I can’t deny his beastliness against the run, but a 1st round pick is far too heft a price to pay for such a limited player IMO.

What IYO makes him as valuable as these other top options at the NFL level? Just curious.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I understand he dominated college football, where the bulk of top teams feature strong rushing attacks, but the NFL is a passing league and he seemed to be not very impactful in passing situations; he was either on the sidelines or just not making an impact on those downs from what I saw.

I can’t deny his beastliness against the run, but a 1st round pick is far too heft a price to pay for such a limited player IMO.

What IYO makes him as valuable as these other top options at the NFL level? Just curious.

His obvious size and the fact that he's absolutely going to demand double teams and open up lanes. The Ravens have always loved that massive NT run stuffer and has been a part of their identity for some time. 

The narrative of him not being able to get in the backfield is a bit tired. A NT his size isn't always going to be used for that but his downright athleticism for his size often shines on tape and is regularly the first guy moving on the line. 

Am I completely sold? Not just yet. There's other guys I'd like to see. I think Davis is a solid choice of we trade back. Davis at 14? Not sold. 

I'm really getting into Leals tape and loving what I see. We will see how things shake out in the coming 3 and a half months.

Edited by baltimoreRebel

How high would you guys take Matt Araiza?

I get that he’s a punter but he’s a legit top 1-2 punter in the league for the next 15 years guy.

I’d dead serious take him with the last of our five 4th round picks. 

We’ll have already picked 7 players by that point (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/4th/4th/4th).

35 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I get that he’s a punter but he’s a legit top 1-2 punter in the league for the next 15 years guy.

We’ll have already picked 7 players by that point (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/4th/4th/4th).

It's definitely intriguing but I feel 4th is too high. I'd take him with our 6th.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It's definitely intriguing but I feel 4th is too high. I'd take him with our 6th.

I think I'd be comfortable using a late 4th relative to the value he'd bring to the team.

Like, just looking at the past few drafts, I think most of us agree a pro bowl punter for the next decade is more valuable than what guys like Ben Bredeson, Iman Marshall, Jaleel Scott etc. have brought us in the 4th round.

I'd even venture to say a pro bowl punter is more valuable than a majority of what we've gotten out of our 3rd round picks recently: Tyre Phillips, Miles Boykin, Jaylen Ferguson.

I think a punter is way less "projection" than other positions too, so I don't think it'd be a case of worrying about whether he'd "translate" to the league and produce like a lot of other positions.

Definitely an interesting discussion.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ray Reed said:

I'd seriously start considering it from the Culley pick onwards.

As I said back on page 3:

On 11/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, drd23 said:

If Araiza could actually replicate what he's doing for SDSU in the NFL he would be worth that sort of pick because being able to frequently pin your opposition inside the 5 is a massive advantage to your defense. 

• Like 1

While I too are enamoured with the power and talent of Araiza, I actually don’t think he is relevant for us due to the fact that he - from my understanding - both punts and kicks, ie no/little experience holding.

Holding is something Koch is still elite at and I don’t believe the FO is in a hurry to break up that essential part of the operation for our HOF kicker (although we did change long snapper with some success this season)

2 hours ago, Rein said:

While I too are enamoured with the power and talent of Araiza, I actually don’t think he is relevant for us due to the fact that he - from my understanding - both punts and kicks, ie no/little experience holding.

Holding is something Koch is still elite at and I don’t believe the FO is in a hurry to break up that essential part of the operation for our HOF kicker (although we did change long snapper with some success this season)

This is a very interesting point. While he would offer an upgrade in punting, could he learn to hold. My thought would be yes, but it’s definitely a valid counter to him

On 1/14/2022 at 7:52 PM, Boodgyman5220 said:

This is a very interesting point. While he would offer an upgrade in punting, could he learn to hold. My thought would be yes, but it’s definitely a valid counter to him

I have to think that if the new guy can’t do it, out of all the other bodies on the roster, someone would have to have some quality hands to field the long snaps and position the ball.

So while I would be worried, I think we would be able to make due. That said, adding more fuel to the fire, if our offense is clicking like I’d hope, we might be punting too few times to make use of a generational punter. Though if our offense looks like something closer to this years version pretty consistently in the future, I’d be willing to spend a 3rd/4th and hope he  (or someone else) can catch.

I really need to sit down and do a VS series. As at the moment I’m having a tough time deciding between the best OL in this draft being between Tyler Linderbaum and Kenyon Green. As it stands TL is probably smoother and he’s more athletic, while Green is more stout, powerful, and versatile. As there’s now some talk about the Alabama OT potentially falling some, I will also look at his tape now to compare him into the equation.

In terms of Kenyon Green tape and his versatility, I loved his LT (Alabama) and RG (Arkansas) tape the most. Really liked what I saw from him in those games. He’s got great contact balance, he’s nimble for a man of his size, he’s able to anchor well at the POA vs size, he’s able to handle speed and not overreach. He’s a legitimate OT prospect and I’d love to see tape of him at RT, I just have yet to find it. If he checks the boxes off there like he did at LT (and not all guys can as we saw with AV who was exceptionally bad at RT but only below average at LT), than perhaps I’d give him the edge over Tyler. Here are the tapes I’ve watched so far. I haven’t watched every snap yet, but Ive watched at least 20 snaps in every game.

vs Alabama (LT #55)

vs Arkansas (RG/LT)

vs LSU (LG)

• Like 2

Just watched roughly 20 minutes of tape for Linderbaum, Neal, Green, and Ekwonu.

My takeaway is that Green is the best OL in this draft, that I’ve watched. I’m not seeing any legitimate holes within his game. He’s got quick, nimble feet for a man his size. He’s strong at the POA. He’s got good contact balance. Active technician with his hands. Can locate and hit targets in space. Durable history. Thrived inside and out. Diagnosis stunts and activity at a high level.

Whereas conversely Linderbaum and Ekwonu, who both bring plenty of excellent qualities to the table have flaws.

Ekwonu doesn’t have nimble feet, his feet seem to lumber a bit. He’s not particularly flexible and agile. While incredibly powerful and strong, he’s not an athlete and not as comfortable in space.

Linderbaum brings a hyper athlete that in a ZBS is probably the best OL in the draft due to his combination between athleticism, power, and technique. However his power seems to come from his great burst, when he’s able to get a couple steps in, he’s incredibly disruptive, however he’s not quite as stout as he’s not overly strong. So dealing with a behemoth inside could prove troublesome for him. It’s the one legitimate flaw, that and I’m not as convinced that he would offer position versatility unless drafted into a ZBS. Within our scheme he’d be exclusively a center, which isn’t a problem, however it’s still a limitation of what he won’t be able to do for us if drafted.

Lastly with Neal I get why he’s fallen some as he’s got terrible contact balance and his upper body strength is very much lacking. The combination of which leads to someone that is big and athletic, yet not strong and powerful. He’s a get in your way type of run block vs a dominant force in the Ekwonu mold. Neal’s upper body strength and below average hand technique renders his ability to stay on blocks in the run game and dominate his opponent leaving much to be desired. However due to his size and athleticism, he typically seems to get the job done, albeit not in a dominant fashion. Neal has got good lower body strength but his lack of contact balance renders him unable to truly he a great drive blocker.

That all said Neal is still a top 20 talent based off of the things he does well as a pass protector. What’s more if develops his hand usage and improves his balance some, he could elevate to an elite OT level. As it stands however I think he’d be at worst above average due to his gifts. 

• Like 2

The sense that I get is that there are like 4-5 first round worthy CBs this draft.

If one of the top OL (Green, Cross, Ekwonu, Linderbaum) aren't there at pick 14 I’d be more than happy to trade back to the middle/end of the first and get one of the CBs who drop: Stingley, Gardner, Booth, McDuffie, McCreary

I get that we rarely get a pick this high but unfortunately if those top OL are gone by 14 I really don’t see the difference in value between the guys we could get at 14 and the guys we could get at 23-24.

• Like 1

The Athletic mocked Travon Walker to us in the first. I don't know if that's a great pick for us value wise at this point, but I certainly understand how perfect the fit is. It'd essentially be like plugging a baby Pernell McPhee with more juice and upside into our defense. 

So many plays just like this-

OL and CB remain King, but our FO will love this kid. 

• Like 1