2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

8 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

He's a guard all day and I wouldn't take the risk. It's looking like a tackle will be ripe for the picking come pick #14. 

Disagree. His LT tape is actually really good. Far more balanced, far better kick step, better with getting his hands inside, easier mirror skills, some people moving ability, can kick out and get in space, etc.

Now if you’re saying he’d be best at guard, sure. But Yanda was an above average to good OT, he just so happened to be a pro bowl/all pro caliber guard. So if we needed someone to step out in a pinch to man the LT position, Green could certainly give us some games there until ultimately we have a better grasp of if Stanley can return to form and/or someone else isn’t similarly capable.

For example, if we draft Green and NPF from OSU, Green is probably slightly better at LT, however the lineup would look best with Green at guard and NPF at LT.

However if Stanley and NPF were to go down, then Green could kick out and we could roll with Cleveland in at OG instead.

10 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0EC128Q3rEjTlV9LciIX

If they draft Penning at least we won't have to worry about seeing stuff like this anymore.

Don’t know about that. Personally I think Penning could potentially be better at OG than at OT. At best he’d be a RT, but I’d have to see his kick step on that side. As it stands, at LT I have not been impressed with him as a pass blocker.

Now if he gets his hands on you, he’s looking to bury you and I love his nastiness, but his foot quickness leaves a lot to be desired. He’s got legit bench press ability with his upper body and if he looks better on the right side, then maybe, but as it stands I have him as more of a mid-late 2nd round pick. I’d have him ranked similarly as NPF and certainly below Faalele. Speaking of DF, I think he’s a 1st round talent based off of what I’ve seen and if we ARE going to go RT in round one, I would certainly trade down and look to obtain his services. He looks to have potential PB talent between his strength and athleticism. He could be special at the next level.

Ideally we could come away with a pairing of Green/Linderbaum and Faalele, but I expect DF to rise to pick 25ish status come draft day. So unless we’re trading down for DF and Green (who seems to have more black and white to his draft status) falls to the 2nd round- which I find to be plausible- we probably won’t be securing both options. Though it’s one of my favorite draft combos.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2022/user-mock-602424
Round 1: Trade down twice
Pick 21- Kenyon Green, OL
I think what makes Green special is his pass set where he’s able to stop rushers in their tracks and reset, limiting the number of pressures he gives up. For someone bouncing from spot to spot, his technique and footwork seems to be strong everywhere except RT (IMO). He’s not the nastiest (Penning), the strongest (Okwonu), nor the most athletic (Linderbaum), however I see a jack of all trades that will be an elite pass blocking OG based off of his incredibly nimble feet, his good size/power, and his understanding of blocking angles/technique. He’s not a pancake artist, but he’s going to get in the way and create a lane in the running game and as stated he will be able to handle most inside pass rushers 1v1 and get the job done at a high level IMO.

Pick 45- Daxton Hill, S/CB
The Ravens could have needs at corner if certain guys move on, but also could use an upgrade at safety with some more playmaking juice. This just seemed to be a good fit all around; brother is a Raven, coach familiarity, highly athletic, technically sound, etc. Even with how pro ready he already is, with his athleticism, Hill could potentially make a jump at the NFL level.

Pick 62- Nicholas Petite-Frere, LT
Used the draft capital acquired in the 1st round to once again trade down, eventually settling on NPF. While I would’ve liked to acquire a starting caliber RT, none were available post pick 35-40 (or so). NPF would at least offer assurance as a legit starting caliber LT in the event that Stanley is mainly done post ankle injury. Even then the chances that Stanley make it through a 17 game season might be asking for a lot. Thus NPF could battle for the RT position with Mekari (who might also be competing for a starting center spot) and JJ, while also insuring our depth along the OL.

Pick 69- Chad Muma, ILB
Again utilized trade resources from the first round and traded up this time to secure Muma who looks like an extremely reliable tackler, someone that has 3 down ability, and great LB instincts. We need someone who can provide the stability of a Josh Bynes but with more upside and athleticism and that’s Muma. He’s got some Logan Wilson to his game and would certainly improve the middle of our defense.

Pick 75- Justyn Ross, WR
I low key believe that WR has some need to it. We’ve got Hollywood who isn’t someone I’m comfortable with committing to long term due to how hot and cold he can be. I’m not down on Rashod Bateman and think he can be legit, but he’s not that big body receiver that you can just throw it up to and make plays. We’ve got guys like Proche and Duvernay who’ve shown some ability at WR, but again, they’re smaller guys, not big targets. They make for more risk prospects when targeting them.

Ross on the other hand is a 1st round talent if not for the injury history and poor QB play the final season. He was considered neck and neck with Tee Higgins and had the superior freshman season of the two. As a 3rd round pick the risk/reward is too great to pass up securing Lamar another big body receiver that can high point and has quick feet to separate (as with Andrews). Given the OL investments, a WR guru in Keith Williams, and a likely incredibly motivated Ross… Lamar should have all the tools to lead a prolific 2022 offense and have reliable pieces to grow with into the future.

Pick 108- Adam Anderson, OLB
I just watched a little bit of tape on Anderson and came away very much impressed. He displayed an ability to rush the passer, drop into coverage, and free up teammates on stunts. He impressed me with his ability to take on blocks and good football instincts. With Tyus Bowser going down the team could use someone who could potentially fill into a similar role and I think Anderson could potentially fit the bill.

Pick 117- John Ridgeway, IDL
Haven’t watched tape on Ridgeway however from the senior bowl film I’ve watched of 1v1s I felt Ridgeway certainly stood out and was making himself known. While I’m hopefully we can retain Williams and Campbell for one more season, adding capable youth within the front 7 will be needed as those guys are getting up there in age and either could choose to retire sooner or later.

Pick 118- Josh Paschal, Edge
Paschal was the heart and soul of that Kentucky defense, a leader, and he’s got great technique vs the run and would be a great contributor/role player from jump IMO. Anderson and Paschal could potentially rotate with one another and have specific roles that would allow them to contribute early as rookies. I love Paschal’s floor and felt it was worth trading up to secure someone I believe who could be an impact defender day one.

Pick 175- Matt Araiza, P
The time has come. Regardless of if Sam Koch closed out the 2021 season looking better than he began, the writing is and has been on the wall for him. Having such a reliable holder for Tucker can’t be understated, especially someone that plays special teams and can form a Wolfpack. However be it this season or next, Tucker will be without Koch as a holder and so we might as well make it sooner rather than later and hope that the prolific talents of Araiza can also translate to being a world class holder as well.

Either way, having a weapon at both Kicker and Punter could position the Ravens special teams as one of the best units of all time- especially when considering Duvernay into the equation.

214- Jesse Luketa, LB
No idea how Luketa fell so far in the draft, but Edgar Allen did a breakdown of him that I watched and I came away impressed. This late in the draft BPA made the most sense and Luketa was certainly the best player I recognized on the board.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Pick 108- Adam Anderson, OLB
I just watched a little bit of tape on Anderson and came away very much impressed. He displayed an ability to rush the passer, drop into coverage, and free up teammates on stunts. He impressed me with his ability to take on blocks and good football instincts. With Tyus Bowser going down the team could use someone who could potentially fill into a similar role and I think Anderson could potentially fit the bill.

I don't see Adam being on the board for the Ravens. Multiple accusation of SA.

I do think will target an OLB/EDGE player somewhat early though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I don't see Adam being on the board for the Ravens. Multiple accusation of SA.

I do think will target an OLB/EDGE player somewhat early though.

Ah. Had no idea. Haven’t researched their backgrounds, but I should’ve been tipped off by the fact that his play seemed to be of higher quality than where he was being drafted.

Boye Mafe was someone I considered around that pick due to his senior bowl practices standing out to me at some points, but watching a short snippet of his game tape had me come away much less impressed.

Though tbf it was against tOSU and NPF above and so perhaps that’s unnecessarily deflating my opinion of him.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Update list of those who belong in a Ravens uniform

• Devonte Wyatt  
  • Bryan Cook 
  • Travon Walker 
  • Travis Jones
  • Jalen Pitre
  • Luke Godeke
  • Trevor Penning 
  • Josh Whyle

Get me a few of these folks and I like our chances. 

I would absolutely love nabbing Linderbaum in Round one and Trade up in the 2nd for Devonte Wyatt. I'd be over the moon. Also love Pitre and Godeke. Walker is a beast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I would absolutely love nabbing Linderbaum in Round one and Trade up in the 2nd for Devonte Wyatt. I'd be over the moon. Also love Pitre and Godeke. Walker is a beast. 

Glad we're all on the same page. For some reason, I don't think Linderbaum is going to fall. And EDC has been pretty straight forward in all of his pressers over the last 3 years, so I think we're gonna trade down if anything.

13 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Glad we're all on the same page. For some reason, I don't think Linderbaum is going to fall. And EDC has been pretty straight forward in all of his pressers over the last 3 years, so I think we're gonna trade down if anything.

This is one of those years where I'm 100% in favor of trading down.

It seems like a lot of the guys picks 8-15ish this year are going to be "overdrafted" relative to their skills IMO, and the 18-28ish range has a ton of players who are going to be "underdrafted".

Like, it's crazy to me that teams in the late teens/20s will be able to get players like Trevor Penning, Devin Lloyd, Kenyon Green, Sauce Gardner and Trent McDuffie, while teams in the top 15ish will be "stuck" with picking guys like Jordan Davis, Derek Stingley, and George Karlaftis.

I much prefer the crop of players that are commonly being mocked at the end of the first round than the ones that are being mocked in the middle.

It's infuriating seeing the Bengals get a legit starting OT in every single mock at pick 31/32 but us coming away with like, Demarvin Leal or Jordan Davis half a draft above them lol. Really hoping someone pulls the trigger for 14 and we can move down towards the end of the first and pick up an extra 3rd and some change. 

George Karlaftis, #5

Finally getting around to his tape. I like what I see. He’s not someone I’d want in obvious run situations being on the field, but the Odafe Oweh pick was us taking an insane athlete and looking to develop him into a freak rusher.

Karlaftis is sort of the opposite. He’s an elite rusher that’s not an elite athlete. He reminds me of Ryan Kerrigan, also formerly of Purdue fame. I think between Oweh and Karlaftis it would give the Ravens a lot to work with to build an incredible pass rush.

• Like 1

Random mock draft I did using the PFN Mock Draft Simulator while procrastinating:

14 Charles Cross, OT Ole Miss

BPA and insurance for if Stanley doesn't come back healthy after his second round of surgeries he had after going on IR in 2021.  Not really the sort of run blocker I'd want in this offense, especially if he's be starting at RT (in a world where Ronnie is back near his All-Pro level ability), but I trust Brandon Thorn's assessment that he has the ability when he's asked to run block

45. Traded to Miami with 139 for 47 and 2023 3rd rounder

47 Trent McDuffie, CB Washington

Pretty much BPA again.  Good athlete and willing tackler.  The fact he's better/more used to zone than man is probably a negative if MacDonald is going to continue with Wink's defense, but as we saw in 2021, you can't have enough CBs.  I envision him filling the Averett role of being CB3/4 this year and then maybe taking over from Marcus Peters in 2023 (who will be a FA after next season)   

76 Arnold Ebiketie, EDGE Penn State

Toolsy pass rushing prospect with good length and agility to turn the corner, although I'm not sure he defends the run well enough to realistically be a target of the Ravens

99 Jeremy Ruckert, TE OSU

TE3 is actually pretty important in the Ravens scheme and I don't think Josh Oliver is good enough.  Was asked to do a lot of blocking by OSU but actually seems to have some decent receiving ability.  Dane Brugler of The Athletic thinks an argument could be made that he's TE1 in this class 

109 John Metchie III, WR Alabama

Another BPA sort of pick.  Ideally any WR added would be a bigger bodied player to give us something different from Bateman/Hollywood/Duvernay, but he's a great route runner who we'd be getting at a discount at this spot because of his ACL injury in the National Championship Game

118 Darrian Beavers, LB Cincinnati

Bigger bodied LB with good instincts and physicality but not the greatest in coverage.  Is currently the 57th ranked player on the B/R draft board (which is put together by several prominent members of the online draft community).  Could be a potential replacement/upgrade on Harrison who was effectively benched down the stretch last season.  Could have gone with a RB like James Cook here who seems like a popular pick in the late 4th among Ravens fans/mocks 

127 Kerby Joseph, S Illinois

Safety whose stock is rising, particularly at/after the Senior Bowl, I think he could develop into the deep safety this defense sorely needs.  His breakout year in 2021 eared a coverage grade by PFF that was the highest in the Big 10 since Malik Hooker in 2015 (who was a 1st round pick iirc but has been a bit of an injury bust in the NFL).  Would ideally put on some more muscle while not losing any athleticism as he's a little small. 

141 John Ridgeway, DT Arkansas

This off-season could see a fair bit of change along the defensive line with Campbell, Williams and Ellis all FAs and the status of Wolfe not really being known.  Ridgeway is a very large man who draws double teams because of his size and could rotate in as the NT while he develops his strength and technique. 

195 Josh Paschal, EDGE Kentucky

A high energy power player with the versality to play on the edge and occasionally slide inside, he not infrequently draws comparisons to Za'Darius Smith given his school and playing style.  Given McPhee is likely to retire, that sort of role opens up on the roster in Baltimore for Paschal perfectly

• Like 1

How would you all feel about Jermaine Johnson at 14? 

I’m hearing a lot of chatter that actual football folk like him above some of the EDGES being mocked above him (Ojabo, Karlaftis), and I haven’t watched a ton.

We’ve certainly had success with Florida State pass rushers taken top half of the first round 👀

Let me introduce you all to the "Draft of Double Dipping" - I've been playing around with different scenarios trying to fill our needs in the best possible way according the the strength of the draft and with a continuous eye on building in the trenches by adding physical playmakers with attitude and personality. 

Draft is based off the mock draft simulator on thedraftnetwork.com. 

Key FA signings/resignings:
Tyrann Mathieu
Pat Ricard
Calais Campbell

Key FA losses/Cuts
Bradley Bozeman
Brandon Williams
Sammy Watkins
Justin Houston
Villanueva
Boykin

THE DRAFT

14 Trevor Penning T
Big, physical, nasty blocker with flexibility across the line having played both LT, RT as well as G at the Senior Bowl. I see him sliding into the starting line-up either as LT if Stanley is not fully healthy or as the RT, in the case that Makari moves to C. 

45 Travis Jones DT
Big, physical, nasty DT with incredible anchor against the run and surprising upside against the pass. Will slot in as the immediate replacement of Brandon Williams.

76 Tyler Smith G
Big, physical, nasty (you'll get the trend now) G, with immense strength and physicality. Needs some refinement technically, but the potential is through the roof and I don't believe he is as far off as some might think. 

99 Jesse Lukata OLB
Raw athlete playing the game with his hair on fire. Regularly blows up running plays by shedding blocks and knifing into the backfield. Showcases some of the same abilities towards the pass. Will provide good security for Bowser as he returns from the ACL and will immediately help us against the run by replacing Ferguson. High upside. 

108 JoJo Domann MLB
Former safety converted to MLB posting the best coverage scores on PFF across all linebackers AND cornerbacks. Bynes provided immense stability to the linebacker position last year, but we need to think ahead and improve. To be honest I'm unsure where Queen fits into the rotation, as he is poor against the pass and inconsistent against the run. Adding Domann will take on of Queen/Bynes off the field in nickel and overall improve our zone fits against pass heavy teams. 

117 Jack Jones CB
As a Ravens fan it is clear every year that you cannot have too many corners. While I like out starting line-up with Peters, Humphrey, Tavon, Westry (and Stephen), we had street-FA starting several games for us last year and we need to quality bodies to the position group. Jack Jones has great man coverage and playmaking abilities and in a sense he reminds me a lot off Marcus Peters. 

126 Sincere McCormick RB
Similar to CB, we need to have  quality RB on the roster in the case of injuries. I see both Dobbins and Edwards returning without any major issues, so the addition of McCormick is a direct replacement of Hill, slotting into 3rd down opportunities and clean-up duty when the came is already decided. McCormick is the most productive ball carrier eligible this year and while he lacks elite speed, he posses some MJD-abilities in his miniature compact build and ability to gain yards from nothing. 

138 Dare Rosenthal T
Physically you will not find a more complete Tackle-prospect than Dare Rosenthal. 6'7, 327 with crazy strength and surprising agility he has the potential to develop into a franchise LT in the mold of Jared Gaither, Terron Armstead etc.. With us drafting Penning and Smith in the first few rounds, Rosenthal should be allowed to sit a year or two to refine his footwork and technical abilities. 

140 Isiah Thomas DE/DT
Direct replacement for Pernell McPhee as an outside- and inside pass rusher where he on a situational basis can make plays with his refined toolbox and great combination of size and speed.

194 Noah Elliss DT
Small school sleeper at the size of 6'4, 359 with NFL bloodlines and potential to slot in as back-up NT and hopefully develop into more. Proved too much to handle at the East-West Shrine Bowl where his power and surprising agility was unblockable. Hopefully Elliss develops into a Michael Pierce kind-of-player forming a powerfull partnership with Travis Jones for years ahead. 

Edited by Rein
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ray Reed said:

How would you all feel about Jermaine Johnson at 14? 

I’m hearing a lot of chatter that actual football folk like him above some of the EDGES being mocked above him (Ojabo, Karlaftis), and I haven’t watched a ton.

We’ve certainly had success with Florida State pass rushers taken top half of the first round 👀

He wouldn’t be my least favorite selection. I’d feel confident that we’re getting a quality player. I would MUCH prefer JJ (late 1st/early 2nd talent) over Penning (late 2nd talent) for example as 1st round selections.

As it stands I certainly don’t think he’s superior to Karlaftis. JJ is a RSr and likely 23/24 while GK is only 20 and with that said, I still found Karlaftis tape to be superior from a pass rushing perspective. I haven’t watched Ojabo yet so no comment.

Now if we can trade down to 21 and then taken him? I like that much better. We’ll potentially need the ammunition to trade back up for an OL.