2022 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

DreamKid

On 2/17/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ray Reed said:

How would you all feel about Jermaine Johnson at 14? 

I’m hearing a lot of chatter that actual football folk like him above some of the EDGES being mocked above him (Ojabo, Karlaftis), and I haven’t watched a ton.

We’ve certainly had success with Florida State pass rushers taken top half of the first round 👀

Jermaine also grew up in the same county of Minnesota as Suggs. Boulware was taken 4th overall and Suggs was taken 10th. 4 + 10 =14 👀

Only thing is and I don't even know if it's a even thing, Jermaine is a senior and EDC hasn't taken one in the first two rounds yet.

Edited by BareYourTeeth
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Only thing is and I don't even know if it's a even thing, Jermaine is a senior and EDC hasn't taken one in the first two rounds yet.

EDC is way more into taking swings on players with traits whereas Ozzie was very much about picking guys with proven production and a lot of tape to evaluate.  Its also likely that they fall on opposite sides of the continuum when it comes to preferring power vs speed as the primary skill of EDGE prospects

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Its also likely that they fall on opposite sides of the continuum when it comes to preferring power vs speed as the primary skill of EDGE prospects

Last year they talked about how they classified Oweh as a "Power Bender" despite his unreal speed for the position, and EDC did draft Jaylon Ferguson. There was also a discussion at one point about so many speed rushers just get pushed passed the pocket(thus taken out of the play) and how they're looking for rushers with a power element because of that, IIRC that came from Hortiz or EDC.

So I think there are some philosophical differences, an easy one being DeCosta being more aggressive, but on that pass rush front I don't think there's so much real estate between them. 

All of our Top 100 picks under EDC so far:

- Marquise Brown

- Jaylon Ferguson

- Miles Boykin

- Patrick Queen

- JK Dobbins

- Justin Madubuike

- Devin Duvernay

- Malik Harrison

- Rashod Bateman

- Odafe Oweh

- Ben Cleveland

^^^ A couple things stick out immediately.  1. A lot of young big program stars in that mix. 2. The only low percentile athlete in the group is Ferguson. 3.  Including Ozzie's years, we haven't selected a DB Top 100 since Marlon, that's pretty crazy. Guys like AA & Stephens obviously came close and with our depth at the time we weren't desperate, but still... I see that trend changing this year for sure. 

^ In that vain, IMO...

- Marquise Brown C

- Jaylon Ferguson F

- Miles Boykin D

- Patrick Queen C+

- JK Dobbins A-

- Justin Madubuike B

- Devin Duvernay B-

- Malik Harrison D+

- Rashod Bateman (inc)

- Odafe Oweh (inc)

- Ben Cleveland (inc)

Eric needs to hit on this draft. I’m a Ravens fan who likes DeCosta and typically finds the DeCosta detractors pretty insensible but typing it out like that I can’t lie...hasn’t been the best few drafts for him these last few years. Obviously plenty of time for some of those players to improve their grade though. But as it stands now...not fantastic.

• Like 1

@Ray Reed All I'd disagree with on that list is that Marquise Brown should be higher in the B to A territory, and imo we can be reasonably sure Oweh/Bateman will be great players- so an INC grade doesn't do them justice atp. 

Hollywood might have a non ideal personality, but as far as a weapon he's been stellar. The general collapse of our offense and subsequent start of Tyler Huntley who despises the deep ball really set fire to a monster 2021 campaign from Brown. Still ended up over 1k too. If he was in a different offense, you're talking about an automatic 1,300 to 1,500 per year receiver. Fine with how he's turned out. Obviously it would be better if he caught 100% of the big throws that came his way and generally had a better attitude, but the former is impossible and the latter is apparently super rare at the WR position. 

None of that takes away from EDC definitely needing another successful draft though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

@Ray Reed All I'd disagree with on that list is that Marquise Brown should be higher in the B to A territory, and imo we can be reasonably sure Oweh/Bateman will be great players- so an INC grade doesn't do them justice atp. 

Hollywood might have a non ideal personality, but as far as a weapon he's been stellar. The general collapse of our offense and subsequent start of Tyler Huntley who despises the deep ball really set fire to a monster 2021 campaign from Brown. Still ended up over 1k too. If he was in a different offense, you're talking about an automatic 1,300 to 1,500 per year receiver. Fine with how he's turned out. Obviously it would be better if he caught 100% of the big throws that came his way and generally had a better attitude, but the former is impossible and the latter is apparently super rare at the WR position. 

None of that takes away from EDC definitely needing another successful draft though. 

See I don't think Hollywood has been bad or anything, but when grading that pick I think you have to take into account the fact that he was the first WR taken that draft and he's been outperformed by like 4-5 guys that were taken after him. In my mind that can't really be better than a C+/B- at best. When you have the "pick of the litter" and you chose a guy who's been good in stretches (not Brown/Metcalf/McLaurin/Samuel good mind you) but wildly inconsistent, I think Average-Slightly Above Average is a fair grade.

It's more of a DeCosta grade than a Hollywood grade if that makes sense.

Edit: And I do think the "Huntley ruined Brown's monster year" point is a bit exaggerated by our fan base. Hollywood had a few monster games early that inflated his stats, but look at the last 4 games he played with Lamar. He had 37, 51, 55, and 41 yards. He was clearly slumping well before Huntley/Johnson entered the lineup. Yes he technically finished with 1,008 yards but that's a 17 game season...I don't think less than 60 yards a game in this era in football is "stellar weapon" adjective worthy.

Edited by Ray Reed

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I think Hollywood is a B+ at worst, but he's for sure no C or has a lower grade than P Queen in any situation. 

Come on now. He's a speed receiver who was drafted to provide explosive plays for the offense and the reality is that he's been pretty pedestrian at producing explosive plays since he's been drafted...on top of the fact that he has to be one of the worst YAC receivers in the league and his hands are shaky at times. When you add in the fact he was the first WR taken and the 4-5 guys taken after have outproduced him there is no universe where he deserves a B+ or better.

I wanted him to be awesome so bad when we picked him because like a lot of us I want us to have that legit #1 guy for once and I'm also partial to Oklahoma and loved him in college...but the reality is that he's just been "fine". And for the first WR taken that's just not good enough when you look around the league at what other young receivers are doing consistently in this day and age.

With our top needs being OT/Pass Rusher/CB it would be a kick in the nads if all of 

Neal
Ekwonu
Cross
Hutchinson
Thibodeaux
Jermaine Johnson
Gardner
Stingley
Hamilton

were all gone by our pick. It's pretty obnoxious that we're picking top 15 for the first time in forever and it's looking very likely that the top 3 players at each position of need for us are going to be gone by pick 14 lol. What are the chances. This is like the one year where there wont be QBs to push us some of these guys. Usually there are some WRs and DL taken in the top 14 too but nope, gonna be all OT/CB/Pass Rusher this year before our pick because that's what we need lol.

Really think we need to look at a trade up or trade down this year in R1. I just don't see the value at staying at 14 and picking a Penning, Karlaftis, or Ojabo.

Edit: I know it's not a need but if this ^ is how the board fell I would take Devin Lloyd. Get the best ILB in the draft and have a young, potentially top 3 duo in the middle of your defense within the next year-two that you can build your future defense around.

Edited by Ray Reed

On 2/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, Ray Reed said:

^ In that vain, IMO...

- Marquise Brown C

- Jaylon Ferguson F

- Miles Boykin D

- Patrick Queen C+

- JK Dobbins A-

- Justin Madubuike B

- Devin Duvernay B-

- Malik Harrison D+

- Rashod Bateman (inc)

- Odafe Oweh (inc)

- Ben Cleveland (inc)

Eric needs to hit on this draft. I’m a Ravens fan who likes DeCosta and typically finds the DeCosta detractors pretty insensible but typing it out like that I can’t lie...hasn’t been the best few drafts for him these last few years. Obviously plenty of time for some of those players to improve their grade though. But as it stands now...not fantastic.

I was going through the previous drafts a while back and what I noticed is that, at the spot a lot of those players were selected, there really weren't that many great options in terms of other players to grab with that pick (especially using the draft boards at the time). Feel like given where we are set to pick this year, we should have a better opportunity at grabbing top end talent vs the back of the draft like we have been picking.

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Come on now. He's a speed receiver who was drafted to provide explosive plays for the offense and the reality is that he's been pretty pedestrian at producing explosive plays since he's been drafted...on top of the fact that he has to be one of the worst YAC receivers in the league and his hands are shaky at times. When you add in the fact he was the first WR taken and the 4-5 guys taken after have outproduced him there is no universe where he deserves a B+ or better.

I wanted him to be awesome so bad when we picked him because like a lot of us I want us to have that legit #1 guy for once and I'm also partial to Oklahoma and loved him in college...but the reality is that he's just been "fine". And for the first WR taken that's just not good enough when you look around the league at what other young receivers are doing consistently in this day and age.

He’s also been arguably our best performer in every playoff game he’s been in.

Hollywood may be inconsistent against the Lions when he has the opportunity to rack up stats, but he’s undoubtedly a stud in clutch situations.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

26 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

He’s also been arguably our best performer in every playoff game he’s been in.

Hollywood may be inconsistent against the Lions when he has the opportunity to rack up stats, but he’s undoubtedly a stud in clutch situations.

Yeah but that's...3 games total. 2 of which we lost.

Again, I don't think he's a bad player, but I just think this fanbase is really reaching to justify Brown being better than what he's produced on the field up to this point.

He's a C/B (at best) range draft pick at this point.

And there have absolutely been clutch situations where he's dropped the ball. Look at literally the last game we watched as fans. He dropped the game winning TD against the Steelers this past year in the 4th quarter and then he dropped a ball during the potential game winning drive with time running out on a very well thrown ball to the sideline - and that's a play that those WRs taken behind him absolutely have made up to this point in their careers.

And Hollywood's drops against the Lions were absolutely not "rack up stats" situations, lol, he was dropping multiple TDs in a very close game that we needed a 66 yard FG to win at the end.

Sorry, just because Hollywood has had 3 good playoff performances doesn't mean he's some clutch big moment performer who only drops passes that don't mean anything and therefore a B or better draft pick.

Edited by Ray Reed

46 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I was going through the previous drafts a while back and what I noticed is that, at the spot a lot of those players were selected, there really weren't that many great options in terms of other players to grab with that pick (especially using the draft boards at the time). Feel like given where we are set to pick this year, we should have a better opportunity at grabbing top end talent vs the back of the draft like we have been picking.

Idk...like I've mentioned, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin and Deebo Samuel were all picked after Hollywood in a draft where we chose the first WR.

Maxx Crosby was a pass rusher taken like 10 picks after Jaylen Ferguson.

Tyler Biadasz was taken 5ish picks after Ben Bredeson.

Alex Highsmith was taken 3 picks after Malik Harrison.

I really don't want to be the guy on here who's arguing against Eric Decosta because I really do like him as our GM but at some point I've just gotta accept the reality that he hasn't been great to start. 

I have faith he will be, but as of right now it kind of is what it is.

Edited by Ray Reed