Jump to content

Raiders waive LB Tanner Muse


Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We made a mistake last year and one of the best LB's in the league that knows the scheme was available. 

But can you really judge a guy with a couple dozen preseason snaps? Esp a rookie? Not saying I don’t trust mike and gru but not saying I do either

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

But can you really judge a guy with a couple dozen preseason snaps? Esp a rookie? Not saying I don’t trust mike and gru but not saying I do either

They saw him in training camp last year as well and he was so bad he couldn't even make the roster when we had the worst defense in franchise history. The fact that he cleared waivers as a 3rd round pick and was signed to a PS means the rest of the league is low on him as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

 

They cut them because most rosters only have one SLB and we happen to just sign probably the best SLB in the NFL. We probably thought we can get him back on the practice squad with the rationale that no one's gonna want an SLB in his second year when he didn't play a regular season game and then another team signs him. Interesting that it was Seattle.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

They cut them because most rosters only have one SLB and we happen to just sign probably the best SLB in the NFL. We probably thought we can get him back on the practice squad with the rationale that no one's gonna want an SLB in his second year when he didn't play a regular season game and then another team signs him. Interesting that it was Seattle.

I don't think Muse really projects as a SLB tough, he's a WLB in the NFL. Especially in Seattle's scheme which is very similar to ours, he's too small to consistently set the edge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think Muse really projects as a SLB tough, he's a WLB in the NFL. Especially in Seattle's scheme which is very similar to ours, he's too small to consistently set the edge.

Seahawks who played the Raiders a few weeks ago in the pre-season picked him up. In that game Muse played exclusively at SLB. They must’ve seen something that they liked. 

 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They only have 4 LB's on their roster. 

Yes and they could’ve picked someone else

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Seahawks who played the Raiders a few weeks ago in the pre-season picked him up. In that game Muse played exclusively at SLB. They must’ve seen something that they liked. 

Yes and they could’ve picked someone else

Don't the Seahawks run a pretty similar defensive scheme to us where the 3-4 OLB essentially has to be an edge player that can take on blocks and be good against the run? Muse is a 6'2" 225 S/LB convert, does that sound like the ideal role for him?

The Seahawks starting SLB is Darrell Taylor who is 6'4" 265 pounds and their backup is Alton Robinson who is 6'3" 260 pounds. 

Looking at their official depth chart they actually have 6 LB's on the roster. Congratulations to Muse for making a practice squad, Karl Joseph made one as well, maybe they'll both go on to become studs, but they weren't good enough to make the team here. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

so any time we sign a free agent and release a bust, we can play it off as a successful trade instead of what it was?

Not every time. But if we would've cut Lynn Bowden Jr and then immediately sign a player who's a significantly better player who last played for the team that signed our free agent we can. 

Even the best teams miss on draft picks the majority of the time. In our 2019 class we hit on Jacobs, Mullen, Crosby, Renfrow, and Moreau with Abram still having a chance to be a hit if he plays better in Bradley's scheme. 

The jury is still out on our 2020 class especially considering the weird circumstances they dealt with during their first season in the NFL. But Ruggs/Edwards are both starting, Arnette reportedly looks better, and Simpson/Amik both made the team as depth pieces. The Muse/Bowden picks not working out sucks but it is what it is, especially in a year with no combine. 

Time will tell what happens with our 2021 class but Leatherwood, Moehrig, and Hobbs should all be starters as rookies. While Koonce, Deablo, and Gillespie should all be rotational pieces as rookies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...