Ravens RB Justice Hill tears Achilles

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So the RB we sign needs to either be RB2/pass blocking or offer something on special teams like Justice did. The latter is neither Gurley/LevBell. So I guess we'll just see how much they have left in the tank to maybe be RB2?

We are currently working out Elijah Holyfield, Bell and Freeman. Out of those 3, I would choose Bell or Freeman

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So the RB we sign needs to either be RB2/pass blocking or offer something on special teams like Justice did. The latter is neither Gurley/LevBell. So I guess we'll just see how much they have left in the tank to maybe be RB2?

Ty'Son Williams flashed pass blocking prowess all camp and preseason. So that might not be the primary focus for them when looking for another body at the position. With how many DBs we have I don't see STs play being the hot ticket attribute either.

At this point I think they just want another runner they're confident in. Sucks McCrary didn't clear waivers. 

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I think Bell would be a nice 3rd down back for us. He bring pass catching ability that I think neither Gus nor Ty'son really has. 

I'm not as familiar with Freeman of late but he's flashed pass catching skills in the past. 

I think both Gurley and Bell are cooked. Bell couldn't even get significant playing time on KC last year and then bad-mouthed Andy Reid on the way out.

57 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think both Gurley and Bell are cooked. Bell couldn't even get significant playing time on KC last year and then bad-mouthed Andy Reid on the way out.

Possibly.

Still, Bell caught 66 balls in 2019 with the Jets. The Jets team was such a horrendous offensive situation its hard to judge Bell on it. 

I'm not sure I can blame him for falling out with Gase since Gase was apparently a prick HC and a lot of players had problems with him. 

He rushed it 66 times for the Chiefs so he got a bit of PT there. 4.0 YPC isn't terrible. His DVOA for 2020 was at 0.6%, so that suggests he was about average. 

If Bell's comments about Reid were disqualifying, then we wouldn't have brought him in for a workout. If he's the best man for the job, then we'll sign him. Based on his productivity I wouldn't say he's cooked, but rather he is a niche player who needs the right system to produce in.  

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I will add that Bell's style as a receiving RB overlapped with Edwards-Helaire, who the Chiefs obviously wanted to put in good situations as a 1st round pick. He was kind of redundant. They needed a power back to contrast with CEH. 

Here, we have 2 power backs/inside runners in Gus and Ty'son, so Bell would have a more defined role. 

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Feels like us and the Bengals are the only teams losing players to injuries in our division smh

Rather get it out of the way upfront at least. As long as it doesn’t linger, I’d rather it be this way then while in the middle of a playoff run.

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Possibly.

Still, Bell caught 66 balls in 2019 with the Jets. The Jets team was such a horrendous offensive situation its hard to judge Bell on it. 

I'm not sure I can blame him for falling out with Gase since Gase was apparently a prick HC and a lot of players had problems with him. 

He rushed it 66 times for the Chiefs so he got a bit of PT there. 4.0 YPC isn't terrible. His DVOA for 2020 was at 0.6%, so that suggests he was about average. 

If Bell's comments about Reid were disqualifying, then we wouldn't have brought him in for a workout. If he's the best man for the job, then we'll sign him. Based on his productivity I wouldn't say he's cooked, but rather he is a niche player who needs the right system to produce in.  

My only issue with Bell is that I’m not sure he’d be willing to come here and be simply a role player. Perhaps his issue with Reid was that he wasn’t provided a significant enough role- as in perhaps he views himself as a clear cut RB1 and maybe he won’t be in the mental space to accept that he might fall as 2a/2b on the opportunity chart.

I think the key here is that we’ve got Alejandra Villanueva on the squad, Harbaugh is well connected with Reid, and EDC is well connected with the Jets GM so I’m sure the front office will have plenty of information on Bell if they were ultimately to make the decision to bring him on. So if they do it, I’m not concerned. I’m sure after the ET incident, EDC will be extra vigilant before making a move that could disrupt team chemistry.

It’ll be interesting to see what they ultimately decide after trying Bell out.

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Rather get it out of the way upfront at least. As long as it doesn’t linger, I’d rather it be this way then while in the middle of a playoff run.

My only issue with Bell is that I’m not sure he’d be willing to come here and be simply a role player. Perhaps his issue with Reid was that he wasn’t provided a significant enough role- as in perhaps he views himself as a clear cut RB1 and maybe he won’t be in the mental space to accept that he might fall as 2a/2b on the opportunity chart.

I think the key here is that we’ve got Alejandra Villanueva on the squad, Harbaugh is well connected with Reid, and EDC is well connected with the Jets GM so I’m sure the front office will have plenty of information on Bell if they were ultimately to make the decision to bring him on. So if they do it, I’m not concerned. I’m sure after the ET incident, EDC will be extra vigilant before making a move that could disrupt team chemistry.

It’ll be interesting to see what they ultimately decide after trying Bell out.

Given that Bell is unsigned at this point, I'm assuming he sufficiently humbled to accept whatever role we have for him. Of course, I could be wrong. But if he signs with us he has the chance to get back at Tomlin and Reid. That's a pretty sweet incentive. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Looks like it's going to be Freeman. 

Also... 

Not sure we can fit him in. We're right at the cap. 

No need. Honestly if a guy coming in isn’t looking to take something close to the minimum, I’m not a fan of the deal.

Outside of Justice Hill having no RB vision and somehow rushing for under 4.0 ypc, our other backs we’ve had since Lamar took over have all been above 5.0 ypc if I’m not mistaken.

So I’d rather sign any player to the minimum deal and then roll with that with the expectation that if they’re at least solid, they’ll replace what we had in Hill from an efficiency standpoint.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

No need. Honestly if a guy coming in isn’t looking to take something close to the minimum, I’m not a fan of the deal.

Outside of Justice Hill having no RB vision and somehow rushing for under 4.0 ypc, our other backs we’ve had since Lamar took over have all been above 5.0 ypc if I’m not mistaken.

So I’d rather sign any player to the minimum deal and then roll with that with the expectation that if they’re at least solid, they’ll replace what we had in Hill from an efficiency standpoint.

Seriously. Just sign someone and let's get on with it. If they get a lot of meaningful snaps over Gus and Ty'Son I'll be stunned.