Trade Deadline Options

resilient part 2

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Wow. Teams are getting stronger in the division while Dallas sits around twindling their thumbs smh

Trades like these are very rare. There tends to be something very wrong that creates a teams willingness to trade a player of a starting caliber -

Garop was due a payday this offseason and wasnt going to start in NE.

Brown had already held out and missed games, wanted a big pay day, and was not getting it in Houston following his comments earlier in the week.

Ajayi may be addition by subtraction in Miami following 3 shut outs in only a handful of weeks.

Who would you have had Dallas trade for? And what do you think theyd have to give up for another teams cast off? And moreover, what do you think we could get with said picks utilized in a trade for another teams cast off?

I don't really have a problem not trading for a "big-name" player midway through the season. How often do those trades usually end up working out?

With the way this team has drafted as of late, I'd much rather invest in draft capital than give it away for what is usually a middle-aged or toward the end of their prime player.

1 minute ago, Desperado82 said:

I don't really have a problem not trading for a "big-name" player midway through the season. How often do those trades usually end up working out?

With the way this team has drafted as of late, I'd much rather invest in draft capital than give it away for what is usually a middle-aged or toward the end of their prime player.

Exactly my sentiment - and remember the Roy Williams trade? Looked awesome on paper, hell he was looking like a beast in Detroit for a year and a half. Then it ended up being a real shooting ourselves in the foot kind of move.

Roy Williams cost the Cowboys 1st and 3rd round picks and $26M in guarantees on a new deal...

I don't expect us to bring anyone in, but bringing up that trade is pretty straw man IMO. Obviously we're not gonna throw away our first round pick or lock anyone up to a ludicrous contract midseason.

11 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Roy Williams cost the Cowboys 1st and 3rd round picks and $26M in guarantees on a new deal...

I don't expect us to bring anyone in, but bringing up that trade is pretty straw man IMO. Obviously we're not gonna throw away our first round pick or lock anyone up to a ludicrous contract midseason.

See but these are the things people dont consider when they complain we arent making blockbuster last minute deals at rhe deadline.

Ajayi and Brown, they came cheap because of situations that made them cheap castoffs. Usually a quality pro bowl level starter, they cost you those 1st and 3rd deals to bring in. Maybe a second if you get real lucky. But even that is a high price to pay when you consider you could end up with a hall of famer with that pick, or a bad fit or bad deal can set you back for years.

I bring up Williams as a reminder to those who remember the deal yet still want a big trade, or as a caution to the younger or newer fans who may not remember that what looks great on paper could be really costly on the field. Like I always say, these are real people, in real football, it isnt as simple as "trading a pick for a 85 overall guard" like we do in the video games!

34 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Exactly. There is middle ground. That turd of a trade isn't happening and nobody is calling for such a thing. 

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Exactly. There is middle ground. That turd of a trade isn't happening and nobody is calling for such a thing. 

That trade, at the time, looked awesome on paper. That was my point.

Realistically speaking, what are people calling for? A disgruntled wideout who would be 4th, possibly 5th on the depth chart? A pro bowl running back? A new DT when Irving is on a tear already? A big name pro bowl safety that would cost a 1 and 3 like Roy did? There iant much cause for such a trade...

Dont get me.wrong, I do think Dareus for that price would have been steal even if he never plays to pro bowl potential again. And Martavis offers a style of play we dont really have. So im not opposed to a trade, just feel like all the people saying things like "Dallas is sitting on their hands, twiddli g their thumbs" and "We need to trade for Hyde" etc are overlooking how harshly such good-on-paper week 8 trades can end up going

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

That trade, at the time, looked awesome on paper. That was my point.

Realistically speaking, what are people calling for? A disgruntled wideout who would be 4th, possibly 5th on the depth chart? A pro bowl running back? A new DT when Irving is on a tear already? A big name pro bowl safety that would cost a 1 and 3 like Roy did? There iant much cause for such a trade...

Dont get me.wrong, I do think Dareus for that price would have been steal even if he never plays to pro bowl potential again. And Martavis offers a style of play we dont really have. So im not opposed to a trade, just feel like all the people saying things like "Dallas is sitting on their hands, twiddli g their thumbs" and "We need to trade for Hyde" etc are overlooking how harshly such good-on-paper week 8 trades can end up going

And why trade a pick for Hyde when we had success on the ground with McFadden/Morris before? And people like to complain about Dez's antics, he's mild compared to Martavis. 

31 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Couple more trades this afternoon. Crazy trade deadline for NFL. 

Benjamin traded for 3rd and 7th to Bills. lololol

Kind of a steal for both teams honestly, depending on which way you view Benjamin

On one hand, he is a physical presence outside, a good red zone target, and can be a tough matchup for todays corners. Making a 3rd rounder a steal.

On the other hand...he has had one very good season but has been inconsistent from then on. He is likely going to look for upper tier receiver money, despite looking at a down year in production after his numbers already dipped off the last 2 seasons, making netting a 3rd rounder a good pay off for Carolina

Archived