2022 Browns UFAs - Sheesh It's a Lot

Empire Lies

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/cleveland-browns/

There's a lot of guys up for free agency at year's end that a lot of us like and/or think will be major factors in how this upcoming season goes for the Browns.

Who do you think Andrew Berry gets to come back to play for the Browns?

--------------------

Wyatt Teller

Jadeveon Clowney

Malik Jackson

David Njoku

Ronnie Harrison

Anthony Walker Jr.

Rashard Higgins

Takk Mckinley 

Chris Hubbard

Andrew Billings

Malcolm Smith

MJ Stewart Jr.

& More..

I don't think Andrew Berry's going to give Wyatt Teller the top Guard in the league that his metrics and analytical play performance might require.

I honestly only think David Njoku and Ronnie Harrison come back on value deals for the team and for the guys.

I think they let everyone else walk. 

It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out.

4 hours ago, Empire Lies said:

There's a lot of guys up for free agency at year's end that a lot of us like and/or think will be major factors in how this upcoming season goes for the Browns.

--------------------

Wyatt Teller

Great player, potential All pro

Jadeveon Clowney

likely has a very good season if healthy

Malik Jackson

They will probably be happy to let him walk if the price isnt right, classic berry stop gap

David Njoku

massive season a head, still all potential rather than proven. 

Ronnie Harrison

We have 3 quality safetys under contract, he played great last year. 

Anthony Walker Jr.

Will have to play better than last year to be really worth keeping. A lto will depend on Mack, Jok and Taki too 

Rashard Higgins

Unless he has a great season we can proabbly snag him again for 2 million. 

Takk Mckinley 

could go anyway

Chris Hubbard

possibly leaves for bigger money 

Andrew Billings

eh

Malcolm Smith

probably easy to get back 

MJ Stewart Jr.

& More..

It will be really interesting to see how this all shakes out. A number should be easy to control. Our defensive core has grown from 2 studs, to potentially 4 with JOK and Newsome, and then maybe two more with lecounte and Mcdowell. I think Berry is going to give a lot of starting 1 year contract at least on defense. He has done that 2 years in a row. Build the offense rent the defense. 

I forgot JJ3 so on defense we have 3 studs, JJ# Garret and Ward. With another two with JOK and Newsome and then McDowell potentially too. We have half a defense under control for at least two seasons. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

7 hours ago, Empire Lies said:

Jadeveon Clowney

Ronnie Harrison

Rashard Higgins

I’m going to view your list slightly pessimistic. I want these 3 back for sure next year. If Clowney has an impact year, he trumps every other player on that list and is priority #1.

I want Wyatt back too, but I don’t know how confident the front office feels in our ability to plug and replace. I want to believe in Njoku, but I’ll be a pessimist and say he leaves / is not resigned. It will probably be an injury thing.

--------------------

Wyatt Teller

Doubtful, but perhaps they decide to keep Teller and move on from Tretter or even the WR’s to cover the cost.

Jadeveon Clowney

Complete unknown tbh.  

Malik Jackson

Maybe?  Idk, he’s not going to be expensive I can’t imagine.  Depends how he plays.  Hard to project new players.

David Njoku

They sure seem to like him. I guess it depends on the market.  I think he’s resigned at a decent price, but if he explodes this year, maybe not.

Ronnie Harrison

Can he stay healthy.  That probably answers this question.

Anthony Walker Jr.

If they want him back, sure.  Gotta see how he fits.

Rashard Higgins

I see no reason at all he shouldn’t be back. He’s inexpensive and productive.

Takk Mckinley 

Who knows?  We haven’t seen anything from him as of yet, but they clearly are intrigued by him.

Chris Hubbard

Doubtful.  I think he’ll honestly get paid pretty well by someone.

The rest are entirely dependent on the draft and FA next season.  They’re all fine bottom of the roster hole fillers, but that’s about it.

Don’t mess with the OL. Make moves elsewhere before screwing with the line. 

cut hooper and give njoku his contract. That’s a wash in salary. 

let clowney test the market again and try to sign him to a similar short term deal. 

try to sign Harrison but if he’s too pricey let him walk. Can’t pay everyone. If delpit is healthy having 3 safeties Is a luxury. Especially with JOK who can cover. 

try everything we can to resign Higgins. He’s incredibly important and is the most reliable WR we have. Odell and Jarvis drop too many passes. 

The rest are replaceable. 

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Don’t mess with the OL. Make moves elsewhere before screwing with the line. 

Agreed.

cut hooper and give njoku his contract. That’s a wash in salary. 

Not really, he has a lot of guaranteed money. I’d be surprised if he’s not here.

let clowney test the market again and try to sign him to a similar short term deal. 

I have little doubt he’ll want to test the market, and tbh that’s not a bad thing. 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If Teller is healthy and as good as last year, I think you have to pay him.  You simply can’t let elite talent walk.

This one intrigues me the most. How to the nerds evaluate the WAR (lack of a better football word) of a RG? For example, if we have a "decent" starting RG, and Teller walks, saving us tens of millions and nets us a 3rd round comp pick, do they do that or make every effort to re-sign him based upon the overall ability that he possesses.

• Like 1

If Clowney has a great year, do NOT let him walk. Guys like him don’t grow on trees. If he gives us elite defense and about 7+ sacks you keep him over Wyatt.

If you don’t, you’re going to be wasting a lot of years and draft picks trying to find somebody close or similar.

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This one intrigues me the most. How to the nerds evaluate the WAR (lack of a better football word) of a RG? For example, if we have a "decent" starting RG, and Teller walks, saving us tens of millions and nets us a 3rd round comp pick, do they do that or make every effort to re-sign him based upon the overall ability that he possesses.

So this is the most interesting question to me.  I know Teller has been an integral part to this rushing attack.  Teller missed 5 games last season, against Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, the Raiders, the Giants and the Jets.  In those five games, the browns rushed for 75, 82, 101, 106, and 45 yards respectively.  Those were the 5 lowest totals all year.  In those 5 games we rushed 114 times for 409 yards (3.59 yards per carry).  In games teller did play the browns rushed 381 times for 1965 yards (5.16 yards per carry).  

Now, a very important factor was also for three of those games (PIT, CIN and LV) chubb was also out.  That being said Chubb was out and teller played against the colts when we rushed 33 times for 124 yards (3.76 ypc) and Chubb played when teller didn't against the Giants 30 times for 106 yards (3.53 ypc).  (I didn't include the Jets because that game was a fluke with the wrs and the jets stacking the box).

All this information to say, the browns are a MUCH better rushing team when Teller is on the field vs when he's not.

I think this is something the nerds will notice and evaluate.

I actually think the smarter move is to let Bitonio walk, play Michael Dunn in his place, and use the 10 million dollars we would save to pay Wyatt Teller 12-13 million dollars a year without having it destroy our cap space.  It would be the 5th highest contract for a guard in the NFL, and let him stay in the place he is used to and succeeding.  I think it would be fair for both sides.

(All this assuming he plays this year like he played last year)

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

If Clowney has a great year, do NOT let him walk. Guys like him don’t grow on trees. If he gives us elite defense and about 7+ sacks you keep him over Wyatt.

If you don’t, you’re going to be wasting a lot of years and draft picks trying to find somebody close or similar.

You don’t let him walk, but you don’t sign him to a huge deal either.

To get paid you really need to show some level of durability and consistency.

If he somehow managed to look amazing, which I’m not really expecting, I’d franchise him and see if he could repeat the performance.  Or just take the comp pick if someone offers a huge deal.

He’s definitely a freak physically, but he’s never really been as good as you’d expect.

24 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

So this is the most interesting question to me.  I know Teller has been an integral part to this rushing attack.  Teller missed 5 games last season, against Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, the Raiders, the Giants and the Jets.  In those five games, the browns rushed for 75, 82, 101, 106, and 45 yards respectively.  Those were the 5 lowest totals all year.  In those 5 games we rushed 114 times for 409 yards (3.59 yards per carry).  In games teller did play the browns rushed 381 times for 1965 yards (5.16 yards per carry).  

Now, a very important factor was also for three of those games (PIT, CIN and LV) chubb was also out.  That being said Chubb was out and teller played against the colts when we rushed 33 times for 124 yards (3.76 ypc) and Chubb played when teller didn't against the Giants 30 times for 106 yards (3.53 ypc).  (I didn't include the Jets because that game was a fluke with the wrs and the jets stacking the box).

All this information to say, the browns are a MUCH better rushing team when Teller is on the field vs when he's not.

I think this is something the nerds will notice and evaluate.

I actually think the smarter move is to let Bitonio walk, play Michael Dunn in his place, and use the 10 million dollars we would save to pay Wyatt Teller 12-13 million dollars a year without having it destroy our cap space.  It would be the 5th highest contract for a guard in the NFL, and let him stay in the place he is used to and succeeding.  I think it would be fair for both sides.

(All this assuming he plays this year like he played last year)

I’d rather let OBJ or Juice walk than mess with the OL personally.

And if we’re replacing OL, I’d probably start with Tretter and not Bitonio.