2022 Browns UFAs - Sheesh It's a Lot

Empire Lies

On 9/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, Kiwibrown said:

One of the biggest question IMO is what we do with Landry and OBJ. They have the least secure contracts, and both of their production has been down. Landry played 15 games and didnt sniff 1k receiving, though he got stronger near the end of the season. They are both super motivated so it isnt wise to bet against them, but they do need to put up. 

I think we could trade Landry to a struggling team in the off season like the jags or the Texans as a culture guy. 

This is true, but what he did in the run game was nothing short of outstanding 

to add to the decisions that need to be made next off season, we only have 12 million in cap. 

We owe a few guys from this year money too, Clowney, Walker come out just shy of 5 million not to play for us. 

This begs a question,  how do we make more room available? 

Three prominent players have no guarantees left. 

1. Kareem Hunt, he saves us 6.2 million

2. OBJ he saves us 15 million

3. Joel Bitonio saves 10 million.  

57 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

to add to the decisions that need to be made next off season, we only have 12 million in cap. 

We owe a few guys from this year money too, Clowney, Walker come out just shy of 5 million not to play for us. 

D. Tretter

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I’d be stunned if Bitonio and and Hunt aren’t here.

OBJ needs to hop in a time machine or I’m just not seeing it for 2022.

Keenum could save 6+ million. I love him as our backup, but that’s a good bit of cash for a guy who ideally never takes a snap. Maybe an extension/restructuring could save some cash.

Tretter is likely here, but it also would likely be his last year.

Landry is similar to Keenum.  You love what he provides to the team, but he’s costly for what he produces.  I think he could be back for 1 more year.

Maybe they try to restructure Hooper to make that contract easier to get out of after ‘22? Same as Landry and Keenum.  Good player, but production doesn’t match his salary.

And of course the cap is likely to rise significantly over the next few years.

Additionally, Malik Jackson and Billings moving on would save about 7.25 million.  Depending on how McDowell keeps playing, we may need that cash for him.

Chris Hubbard clears about 5 million.

Njoku about 8 if we choose not to resign him. I hope they can work that one out long term.

I think this off-season they really need to look at planning for life after Teller, Tretter and Bitonio. A couple day interior OL in rounds 2-4 would be ideal imo, unless Nick Harris has shown them something or they think Hudson is ready to go at guard (which is doubtful as his reps have been at tackle).  They can’t pay all of these guys forever, but you can’t let that IOL go to ish either.

Gonna need to add another day 2/3 WR to the mix too, just like every year. I think Baker can make it work with “scrubs” as long as they can just do their job.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d be stunned if Bitonio and and Hunt aren’t here.

Hunt could be shifted on for the right price IMO if someone wanted to give us a 3rd for him. A third and saving 6 million is a deal worth considering. 

OBJ needs to hop in a time machine or I’m just not seeing it for 2022.

100%

Keenum could save 6+ million. I love him as our backup, but that’s a good bit of cash for a guy who ideally never takes a snap. Maybe an extension/restructuring could save some cash.

They keep him unless they draft someone they like in rounds 3-4 IMO 

Tretter is likely here, but it also would likely be his last year.

Landry is similar to Keenum.  You love what he provides to the team, but he’s costly for what he produces.  I think he could be back for 1 more year.

He played great worth the Cheifs he seems to be worth the 15 million ATM, time will tell, he has lost weight and looks quicker and recovered more fully from his hip. 

Maybe they try to restructure Hooper to make that contract easier to get out of after ‘22? Same as Landry and Keenum.  Good player, but production doesn’t match his salary.

And of course the cap is likely to rise significantly over the next few years.

Id love to move on from Hooper. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

we have movement ability when it comes to the cap space for 2022. Between Jarvis, Bitonio, OBJ and Tretter, there is a ton of either restructure space or cap space in general if we decide to trade or release. Keenum as well. I think this team has the makeup both on and off the field to where we will see some guys be willing to take a little less than market value to help keep the team as intact as possible. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

we have movement ability when it comes to the cap space for 2022. Between Jarvis, Bitonio, OBJ and Tretter, there is a ton of either restructure space or cap space in general if we decide to trade or release. Keenum as well. I think this team has the makeup both on and off the field to where we will see some guys be willing to take a little less than market value to help keep the team as intact as possible. 

I agree with everything except the last part. I don't think we're gonna get too many (if any) hometown discounts, but honestly, I don't think we'll need them.

Even when we were bad, we had people in the FO who knew how to manage/navigate the cap. Now we have super-geniuses that are planning for it all the time. Don't want to minimize the impact of the cap, but I'm frankly not concerned about it, given our current FO.

• Like 1

Restructuring contracts will be first order of business.  Next sign Baker at 35M for 5 years guaranteed with local sweetheart endorsement deals.  Trade any contract rich players if possible!  Adios OBJ and Keenum!  Adios Landry and Hooper and Conklin if they do not restructure.  12M current cap plus 15M plus 6M minus delta for Baker makes it cap space of zero.  Then whatever restructuring and restricted players who do not sign gives cap space to sign some restricted free agents.