Redskins at Eagles Cooley defensive film breakdown

turtle28

Played mostly man coverage and blitzed ILBs often throughout the game. Got beat when we went to zone and when blitzes didn’t get home.

Swearinger: D

Worst game as a Redskin! We were playing quarters coverage on the deep pass Wentz hit to Hollins, Swearinger for some reason  dif t play the deep quarter. He bit on a shorter route and was flat footed. 

Missed tackle vs Ertz near the goaline - can’t happen!

Nicholson: B

Is a true free safety. Great at everything he’s asked. Great as a single high FS, good at keying eyes and knowing which cb will need help based off of match up. Great hips, can play single high and cover ground where the qb is thinking he can both WRs on that side. Solid tackler but made a few mistakes in the run game, like on read option.

Brown: C+

Consistently blowing up plays in backfield. Missed a Sack vs Wentz which resulted in big play. Doesn’t like him in coverage EVER!  Gave up 8 yard choice route which went outside. Blew coverage vs Clement. Spied Wentz once and let him leak out.

Foster: C+

Poor in coverage, looked slow vs run. Can’t have him cover Ertz, he got smoked. Was great as a blitzer with 1.5 sacks and almost had a few more but he was a little slow to blitz. He may have been spying Wentz on those other sacks but Cooley isn’t sure, he thinks if he blitzed right away that he gets home. On the TD pass to Clement, not only was Brown late to get out and cover him but Foster had a poor blitz on the play. If he blitzes/rushes better then Wentz gets sacked.

Kerrigan: B

Good bull rush, had a sack, had good plays in run game. Had a few good pass rushes, especially bull rush. Got the edge a few times in pass rush but the interior pass rush wasn’t good enough. If the Qb is at 7 yarders or more shallow Kerrigan can’t get to the qb, he needs interior pass rush to push the qb back to 8 or 9 yards.

Negative was him covering the boot early in the game. Runs 10 yards downinside, great fake by Wentz, good sell by Burton.

Fall on 2 scramble, missed a few tackles in the run game.

CBs played outstanding!

Ioannidis is getting doubled now and he still almost got home on a sack. Hood, McClain and Lanier could NOT beat guards one on one in a pass rush all game. Goes without saying that the loss of Allen is huge!

I think they need to do one of two things on 3rd & Long:

1. Rush Stacey McGee instead of Lanier, Hood or McClain. At least McGee can use his strength and size to push the pocket if he’s singled up vs guards. I definitely think he’s a more powerful pass rusher than the 3 of them to say the least and he may be better overall period. 

2. I still say they need to get Kerrigan, Galette and Smith all on the field together It’s their best chance of getting home with a 4 man rush right now with either Kerrigan or Smith kicking inside to play next to Ioannidis.

Watched the Game on tape

swearinger cant play FS. Was surprised anyone thought he could. He had so many missed tackles and bad angles too. He was an F in this game. I’m calling him a bust

hes ceiling is a nickel safety and special teams player. Yeah I know he talks like a leader but at some point you have to actually play like one to be a leader 

it was painful to watch Wentz consistency outrun linebackers and safety’s. 

This Game was a clear example of being out coached. It’s like they knew exactly what we were calling on both sides of the ball and we were clueless to adjust to their adjustments. 

we just aren’t a very well coached or talented team. We are a 6-10 to 8-8 team just as I thought. With a great coach we could be 11-5 and a playoff team. With An average coach we are 9-7 and With Gruden our ceiling is 7-9 as he costs us a few Games a year. But he’s not as bad as he once was lol. 

56 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Watched the Game on tape

swearinger cant play FS. Was surprised anyone thought he could. He had so many missed tackles and bad angles too. He was an F in this game. I’m calling him a bust

hes ceiling is a nickel safety and special teams player. Yeah I know he talks like a leader but at some point you have to actually play like one to be a leader 

it was painful to watch Wentz consistency outrun linebackers and safety’s. 

This Game was a clear example of being out coached. It’s like they knew exactly what we were calling on both sides of the ball and we were clueless to adjust to their adjustments. 

we just aren’t a very well coached or talented team. We are a 6-10 to 8-8 team just as I thought. With a great coach we could be 11-5 and a playoff team. With An average coach we are 9-7 and With Gruden our ceiling is 7-9 as he costs us a few Games a year. But he’s not as bad as he once was lol. 

It was Swearinger's worst game of the year, that doesn't mean he's a bad player. He got caught peaking on a crosser when he had the deep quarter on the deep TD he gave up. It wasn't that he's not able to play the  position, it's that the wr had a free release - which IMO shouldn't happen - and Swearinger didn't follow his assignment. He missed a tackle on ertz by the end zone because he over ran him, not acceptable at all. 

Do we need to draft another S high or sign one? Not IMO.

Wentz is playing like the best qb in the NFL right now. It's not just vs Hye Redskins either, he's doing it to everyone. He's a faster version of Ben Roethlisberger or Alex Smith with an elite arm. Damn it Browns! You really screwed the rest of the teams in the NFL east because you can't evaluate QBs. Ughh 

We didn't make good adjustments and abandoned the run after we had a decent 1st quarter running the ball and it helped us build our lead. I can agree we were out coached because of that, not running it enough in the redzone again and running no zone reads and on defense calling some zone which we got beat on, instead of sticking with man. Having 4 of our OL get hurt, really hurt our offense and having Smith get hurt on defense hurt our pass rush which started off hot.

We are a .500 team, there is no shame in that. I just hope we fix the issues we have on both sides of the ball like RB, starting WR opposite Doctson (Preferably a speedster), blocking TE (hope it's Sprinkle long term), NT and WILB next offseason and re-sign Cousins, Brown, Dunbar and Long.

4 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

We should run more 0 blitzes ... on third down for sure on how well our corners been . 

Force quarterbacks to throw quick 

We did, didn’t get home and Wentz picked us apart. We blitzed one or both of our ILBs constantly throughout the game, that is why they combined for 2 sacks. They didn’t get Wentz down when they should have 2 or 3 Times also. The rest of our defense only had 1 Sack. 

Of course Galette would have had 1.5 sacks but he inadvertently grabbed Wentz’s facemask when he dove for him for a Sack. It was the 2nd sack Galette has taken away this year because of penalty. In only about 30%  playing time he’s gotten the qb on the ground 4 times (2 half sacks) this year but 2 were taken back because of penalty.

Galette needs to play more when we are in 3rd & Long. They need to take one of the DTs off, move Kerrigan to 5 technique, rush Gallette and Smith at DE/OLB. The DT they have in needs to play 1-technique and shoot the center/guard gap to get pressure on the qb in his face. Kerrigan can work 1 on 1 vs the right guard and win most of those matchups.

Archived