Week 1 Gen discussion

Blackstar12

7 hours ago, Jdolphins18 said:

Haha your right I’m happy as can be the Dolphins won that game, I’m even happier we kept Xavier Howard, he saved that game for us. Haha it was more a of a joke anyways cause I hate the patriots and they’re cheaters and that was another sign of them being no good dirty rotten cheaters haha.

terrible comment, kid. Grow up.

44 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

And Jevon Holland was their highest graded rookie overall yesterday.  Good day for the ex-Ducks.

TE-Jumbo Slot Juwan Johnson scored 2 TDs for the Saints yesterday after not really getting involved in offense at all last year 

54 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Mac outplayed Tua.

The Mac/Tua comparisons are ridiculous.  The situations they were in are so night/day different that you can't even compare them.  Mac sat in a clean pocket; fired 7-10 yard passes all game; had a 100 yard rusher behind him; and was asked not to lose the game.  Tua was pressured all game; was forced to throw the ball downfield much more; and had little rushing help behind him.  

If anything, you have to credit NE's OC for calling a game that fits his team/Mac perfectly.  That's going to be a recipe for success plenty of times.  Miami had some absolutely headscratching play calls.  They had way too many long-developing routes for an offense with Oline issues.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The Mac/Tua comparisons are ridiculous.  The situations they were in are so night/day different that you can't even compare them.  Mac sat in a clean pocket; fired 7-10 yard passes all game; had a 100 yard rusher behind him; and was asked not to lose the game.  Tua was pressured all game; was forced to throw the ball downfield much more; and had little rushing help behind him.  

Mac had multiple free rushers in his face during the game. The difference was that Mac actually made good decisions and accurate throws under pressure for much of the game, while Tua panicked. 

Watch the damn film.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Mac had multiple free rushers in his face during the game. 

Watch the damn film.

I watched the entire game.  There were literally a handful of serious pressures, and the only sack they had on him was negated on a BS penalty.  Part of that I'm sure was that NE ran such short routes, enabling him to get the ball out quickly, but that just goes back to my comments about their OC calling a fantastic game for their team.  I wish Miami would have done that.  

22 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I watched the entire game.  There were literally a handful of serious pressures, and the only sack they had on him was negated on a BS penalty.  Part of that I'm sure was that NE ran such short routes, enabling him to get the ball out quickly, but that just goes back to my comments about their OC calling a fantastic game for their team.  I wish Miami would have done that.  

On his TD pass to Agholor, Harris failed to pick up a blitzing DB up the middle. 

Another free rusher in his face at 5:46 in that video and he stands in and throws a strike to Henry

7:45 he has Ogbah bearing down on him and hits Meyers to pick up a 3rd and 5

There were multiple other instances of him stepping up in the pocket to evade outside rushers as well. That's something I didn't really see Tua doing. He didn't have a single completion all game without a clean pocket.

Also worth mentioning:

Mac Jones passing by depth
Target Depth Completions Attempts Yards Touchdowns
9 yards or less 22 26 154 1
10-19 downfield 4 6 76 0
20+ downfield 3 4 79

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth
9 yards or less 13 14 113 1
10-19 downfield 1 9 23 0
20+ downfield 2 4 66 0

Seems to me that while Mac was indeed making a lot of quick completions off 3-step drops, that's where Tua found almost all of his success as well, while Mac was actually a lot more efficient on intermediate and deep throws.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 2

Pretty ironic that all off-season people said "stop acting like Stafford never played with good players" and tried to belittle the acquisition only for Stafford to have his highest passer rating ever in a game, highest passer rating ever for a QB playing his first game with a new team, and a Stafford led team's largest margin of victory over the Bears who he previously played against 20 times.

10 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Pretty ironic that all off-season people said "stop acting like Stafford never played with good players" and tried to belittle the acquisition only for Stafford to have his highest passer rating ever in a game, highest passer rating ever for a QB playing his first game with a new team, and a Stafford led team's largest margin of victory over the Bears who he previously played against 20 times.

He played with great players before but it was a great trade for LA for the fact alone that Goff was terrible last year. Stafford has been a top 10-12 QB but if he pair him with McVay and the offensive weapons he can be as productive as a top 5 QB and that paired with a strong defense is a recipe for a 12/13 win season and a SB contender.

42 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Stafford has played well and beaten many a mediocre team.

Weeks 3-5 are his first test, IMO.

43 minutes ago, Apparition said:

On his TD pass to Agholor, Harris failed to pick up a blitzing DB up the middle. 

Another free rusher in his face at 5:46 in that video and he stands in and throws a strike to Henry

7:45 he has Ogbah bearing down on him and hits Meyers to pick up a 3rd and 5

There were multiple other instances of him stepping up in the pocket to evade outside rushers as well. That's something I didn't really see Tua doing. He didn't have a single completion all game without a clean pocket.

Also worth mentioning:

Mac Jones passing by depth
9 yards or less 22 26 154 1
10-19 downfield 4 6 76 0
20+ downfield 3 4 79

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth
9 yards or less 13 14 113 1
10-19 downfield 1 9 23 0
20+ downfield 2 4 66 0

Seems to me that while Mac was indeed making a lot of quick completions off 3-step drops, that's where Tua found almost all of his success as well, while Mac was actually a lot more efficient on intermediate and deep throws.

I realize you have been gifted great Oline play for seemingly 30 years, but your definiton of being pressured is quite different than the rest of the league.  Stepping up in the clean pocket and being able to deliver the football is so much easier than having to escape outside the pocket and deliver the football.  At least it is for QBs like Tua and Mac.  Go watch Tua's reps if you want to see pressure.  He had guys in his lap all day and was forced to moved laterally.  Neither Tua nor Mac are guys that are going to be good at this level when they have to leave the pocket like that.  For as much as Pats fans belittle Tua and for as much as Fins' fans belittle Mac, their games really aren't that much different.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I realize you have been gifted great Oline play for seemingly 30 years, but your definiton of being pressured is quite different than the rest of the league.  Stepping up in the clean pocket and being able to deliver the football is so much easier than having to escape outside the pocket and deliver the football.  At least it is for QBs like Tua and Mac.  Go watch Tua's reps if you want to see pressure.  He had guys in his lap all day and was forced to moved laterally.  Neither Tua nor Mac are guys that are going to be good at this level when they have to leave the pocket like that.  For as much as Pats fans belittle Tua and for as much as Fins' fans belittle Mac, their games really aren't that much different.   

You didn't really respond to what I actually posted. I showed you clear-cut examples of Mac making completions while having pressure in his face that would fit anyone's definition of pressure. I also showed you a video with every completion Tua made, and that none of them came without a clean pocket. I don't see why this is so difficult for you to acknowledge.