Week 1 Gen discussion

Blackstar12

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Technically he’s not a free agent after this season but the way his contract is structured the Packers will essentially have to move on from him for cap purposes after he just restructured his deal. 

My point was, he's under contract so he can be traded and not just walk. That's all. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Rodgers clearly doesn’t want to be there and just restructured his deal so he can play elsewhere next year. 

That can also be true while also admitting that the salary cap is imaginary.  It really only matters to teams with poor owners and teams that don't care about more than keeping fan attendance from occasional playoff appearances.

5 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Ya aint never spoke louder facts. I would like more deep passes, but new system, starters no preseason, i think this was a good game to get their feet wet.

Not against the WFT’s defense. We’ll get our chances against other opponents but today showed that Herbert can throw more than deep passes like he did last year. He’s also pretty dang good at short and intermediate ones as well. This makes the passing attack so much more diverse and dangerous IMO.

• Like 1

A handful of observations:

* There was 0% chance the Chiefs were losing that game today. I hope nobody actually wasted time rooting for the Browns. This was identical to the Chiefs/Chargers opener last season, and for the same reason: As a 1972 Dolphins season ticket holder it is never that easy. There's always one annoying diabolical team with a quarterback who can't be stopped in the second half. The scoreboard will ring up 30+ points, no matter what it looks like early. I've seen so many examples over the decades. The script does not change

* Trey Lance really needs to work on his mechanics. My gosh. I only saw a brief highlight package but that is not an NFL throwing motion. At least it's not a chicken wing. But there's far too much going on

* Rookie quarterbacks do not put up points. That's why I fully expected to win as a Dolphins fan today. invariably the rookie makes lots of nice plays and earns praise. The scoreboard is not impressed. I have mentioned this online for more than 20 years. I experienced it was a sports bettor in Las Vegas from 1984 through 2008. I have no idea why anyone scrambles for deflective meaningless exceptions instead of accepting the trend and taking advantage. Rookie quarterback and over is not where you want to invest

* The league may experience a distinct rise in point production. Daniel Jones is not impacted. That selection will forever astonish me. Every season there is week after week in which the rest of the league is climbing the points ladder but I can do something else for two hours and return to find the Giants at the same number. You want 11 YPA. Daniel Jones was 6.5 YPA year after year at Duke yet somehow arrives early first round. Jalen Hurts was 11 YPA at Oklahoma

* Even if everything imaginable is going wrong, at least Ryan Tannehill is elsewhere. That is the awesome cleanser and I never lose sight of it

5 hours ago, Raves said:

That can also be true while also admitting that the salary cap is imaginary.  It really only matters to teams with poor owners and teams that don't care about more than keeping fan attendance from occasional playoff appearances.

Isn't the Packers situation even weirder because they're a public company and don't have a real owner?

8 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

* The league may experience a distinct rise in point production. Daniel Jones is not impacted. That selection will forever astonish me. Every season there is week after week in which the rest of the league is climbing the points ladder but I can do something else for two hours and return to find the Giants at the same number. You want 11 YPA. Daniel Jones was 6.5 YPA year after year at Duke yet somehow arrives early first round. Jalen Hurts was 11 YPA at Oklahoma

Hurts was 7.6 YPA as the starter at Alabama and made a leap when he went to a QB friendly offense and was surrounded by elite talent. Daniel Jones played at Duke. The Giants offensive line is terrible and they can't run the ball. I think Jones will have a decent year if Saquan can bounce back. 

5 hours ago, Norm said:

My point was, he's under contract so he can be traded and not just walk. That's all. 

Regardless of if the Packers trade him or release him the team will have to eat $26M in dead cap but will save $20M in cap space. So I would agree that it is more likely he is traded rather than cut because they'll be able to add some draft assets in the process. I'm assuming he'll most likely end up in Denver.

7 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Well... 

It's unfortunate that Deshaun had to open the season on the road in a TNF game against the defending Super Bowl champions. While this years group opened the season at home against a 1 win team with a rookie QB and head coach.