Four Tight Ends and all that crap

KC_Guy

I could see it happening if you either have Burton inactive, and have one or two of them versed in full back, or if you go short one WR. Responsibility wise, Kelce spends of ton of his time playing WR anyways. Like, it may be that the best 5 WR set we have still includes Kelce and another RB or TE split out wide. Lowers the need for as many WRs active on gameday.

We shall see ... but to my count Burton is a FB - so having him in there plus 3 TE does not qualify for a beer! On the other hand: having one of the four TE lining up as FB will do due to my generosity - even if that is not 14 personnel in a traditional sense - it would/should be counted as 23, I think.

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I could see it happening if you either have Burton inactive, and have one or two of them versed in full back, or if you go short one WR. Responsibility wise, Kelce spends of ton of his time playing WR anyways. Like, it may be that the best 5 WR set we have still includes Kelce and another RB or TE split out wide. Lowers the need for as many WRs active on gameday.

Gray played FB in college and had reps in camp. If there is a backup FB, he's it. That said, Kelce had quite a few snaps from the backfield when the Sausage was on IR. 

Reid/Bieniemy had several uses for the FB in 2019, but not so much last year. That was probably a reflection on Sherman's health more than a willing choice. With a legit passing threat available, we could see an expansion of the roles.

3 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

We shall see ... but to my count Burton is a FB - so having him in there plus 3 TE does not qualify for a beer! On the other hand: having one of the four TE lining up as FB will do due to my generosity - even if that is not 14 personnel in a traditional sense - it would/should be counted as 23, I think.

Oh, I would agree there. I'm more saying that if one of the guys can play FB, it would allow them to have Burton inactive, since a TE could play FB when we want to run 2_ personnel, and would enable them to run 4 TE sets when they want as well. Just kind of my thoughts on a possible route to having all 4 active, which would then allow a 4 TE set.

33 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Oh, I would agree there. I'm more saying that if one of the guys can play FB, it would allow them to have Burton inactive, since a TE could play FB when we want to run 2_ personnel, and would enable them to run 4 TE sets when they want as well. Just kind of my thoughts on a possible route to having all 4 active, which would then allow a 4 TE set.

Pretty much. The big argument against it is experience based. Burton has it and Gray is unproven. 

They signed another TE to the PS. This one is the power forward from Baylor's national champion basketball team, Mark Vital. If you watch the finals against Gonzaga, Vital had 8 offensive rebounds, so he's got hands. He lists at 6'5", 250. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/13/kansas-city-chiefs-roster-moves-practice-squad-maurice-ffrench-mark-vital/

Antonio Gates was a PF in college. Chiefs Pro-Bowl OG Brian Waters was an UDFA who played basketball in college. 

USATSI_15852731.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• 1 month later...