Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

Jets-Panthers.jpg

Last time we felt this much excitement for a Week 1 game we left looking like this

fireman-ed.gif

Only to end it like this

Darnold-Ghosts.gif

But now the new era begins

saleh.gif

Wilson.gif

But nothing worth having comes easy. 

Carolina Panthers

Key players

- Christian McCaffrey, RB

- DJ Moore, WR

- Robby Anderson, WR

- Terrace Marshall, WR

- Sam Darnold, QB

- Jaycee Horn, CB

- Jeremy Chinn, S

- Brian Burns, EDGE

- Derrick Brown, DT

- Haason Redick, EDGE

New York Jets

Key Players

- Zach Wilson, QB

- Corey Davis, WR

- Elijah Moore, WR

- Mekhi Becton, LT

- Morgan Moses, RT

- Quinnen Williams, DT

- CJ Mosley, LB

- Bryce Hall, CB

- John Franklin-Myers, DE

- Bryce Huff, EDGE

KEYS TO VICTORY

- Contain McCaffrey. Our run defense was a strength the past few years and forcing teams to 3rd and long will be huge in helping out the pass rush and coverage. Mosley/Hamsah/Sherwood will have to contain him in the passing game as well. If we can not only limit his touches but explosive plays we can establish an early advantage. 

- Contain Robby deep. Our defense should be fine underneath and over the middle but the outside is a concern. Our Corners can run but they're inexperienced and this is 4 of their first game(Pinnock, Echols, Carter and Dunn). Robby is a great threat deep and could take advantage of 1v1 on the outside. 

- Establishing the run game. We have to set the tone on the ground. We're on the road with a rookie QB against an inexperienced defense. If Becton and company can set the tone then Wilson can pick the backend apart when he needs to. 

- Taking advantage of their offensive line. Their OL is not a strength, QWill and JFM should set an early tone with other guys cleaning up around them. Let's pressure Sam because we know first hand how that ends up working out. 

See you all on victory Monday and as always

Jets.gif

• Like 2

Exciting game here. I just think this one comes down to talent and experience and CAR has more of that than we do. Fast forward a year or 2 and I think we’re the superior team. But not game 1 of our rebuild.

That being said… I don’t think we get blown out either. We finally have fire power to score points. So I think we keep it competitive. And for me this season I believe that will be the trend. Might not win very many games. But we aren’t an easy game and battle every week.

CMC receiving and rushing in the outside in this one can be rough for us. As well as our incredibly young CBs going against 3 good WRs in Moore, Robby and Marshall. I expect CAR to score quite a bit in this one.

For us i think we will always run the ball. But we will have to score to keep up, so we throw the ball more than we’d “like” in this one. Maybe causing some mistakes. But I do think we still look good on offense.

Prediction…

Jets: 27

Panthers: 34

• Like 1

Well this starts my 58 season as a Jet fan, I have no idea how we well do Sunday, it all depends how the Defensive does that is the key. Our very first game 58 years ago was a loss to the Boston Patriots, and it has been down hill ever since, except for the Namath, years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Sheldon Rankins?

Let's see if Ricky is right about Joe Brady.😑

Jets win this game. 27-17.

I just found out about the injuries to their oline. I'm calling 30-17, panthers. I just can't see how we can stop Anderson, Marshall, Moore, CMC, and others while still hosting tryouts at DE, OLB, and CB. 

Win the trenches win the game.  Doesn't matter how much of an advantage their WRs are against or secondary.  If Sam is rattled we know what happens to him.  Carl would feast this week against Erving but I still think we will make Sam's day a tough one.  No time to throw equals no long developing routes that can burn us.  DL needs to eat.  Mosley is good enough to keep CMC limited in the pass game I think we just need to not allow him to get to the edge for chunk runs.  

On the other side we need to bully their speed.  Our strength is run blocking so let's bully them and keep the ball for long drives.  We do that we win.

27-24 Jets in a close one.

39 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I just found out about the injuries to their oline. I'm calling 30-17, panthers. I just can't see how we can stop Anderson, Marshall, Moore, CMC, and others while still hosting tryouts at DE, OLB, and CB. 

Well..  OL being injured isn't part of ghostbuster's cleaning process. That is for sure. lol

Edited by JetsandI

Let us not forget Sam's poor downfield passing.  Having RA run a 40yd route, even if he is open, does not guarantee a completion.  If Carolina goes with the horizontal passing game, yeah, it may be a long day if the pressure on Sam is not there.  The other good thing is that we'll be playing a lot of zone.  Sam sees ghosts when that happens.

It’ll be interesting, I think our DL is gonna have a huge advantage aging their OL(Specifically their IOL) but our CBS are more than likely going to struggle with the WR core. Don’t know much about Carolinas defense but they have some interesting young guys in Burns, Brown, Chinn, and Horn. 

Prediction:

30-21 Carolina

Zach has a nice day but the defense struggles to keep those WR’s contained

Edited by Dr.O

Rookie quarterback Zach Wilson and wide receiver Corey Davis will be representing the offense. Defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi and linebacker C.J. Mosley will represent the defense. And Justin Hardee will be the lone special-teams representative.

The coaching staff will also choose one captain each week to go along with the five elected by the players.

Passage from thejetpress.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, NYJets4716 said:

Keyshawn Johnson said that Darnold is much more talented than Wilson lol. Guess he's that guy that wants to hate.  Claims that Darnold has more arm talent, is faster, bigger, and more athletic.

Key is pretty terrible at his job as an analyst

He also went to USC, so there’s that 

also, Panthers 28, Jets 23

Edited by GangGreen420