Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

41 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Eh it’s all relative — I said “decent route runner” to infer he isn’t a one trick pony (as implied by most here), while not over exaggerating his skill set. Most people don’t seem to know what he is or how he’s used.

I know Brady adjust his route depth, likely due to noodle arm Bridgewater so he ran more crossers than before. He’s still an elite deep threat, that’s what opens up everything else for him. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Carolinas defense is shaky. They’re way more talented at CB than us, but still very young. Vet WRs like Davis, Cole and Crowder (if he can play). Should be able to use there skill and experience to “welcome then to the nfl”

Good chance Cole will miss Sunday's game with a bad knee, if Crowder can't go, it will be show time for the young guys.

I'm pretty confident about Mims bouncing back. He had to regain a lot of weight from getting sick while adapting to a new offense and rookie QB. I'm pretty sure a lot of new WRs would struggle with that happening in one summer. I love the idea of Mims, Moore, and Davis leading the group for years. 

Things I am concerned about going into this game beyond the obvious:

1.  Becton - will he be the dominant LT we saw in many games last year or is his poor training camp a harbinger of things to come?  Will he even hold up the whole game?

2.  McGovern - sucked until the second half last year. Of course being in between two scrubs can do that. Will he play like he did at the end of last year or will he re-suck?

3.  Q - we are all expecting Donald-like play from Q. Unrealistic at this juncture. He has not seen much action this offseason and there will be rust. I also expect him to play less than his normal snap count. I think the dominance of our interior DL needs to be tempered this game.

4.  Wilson and Moore - rookie jitters. Normal. How long before they settle down?

5.  Mosley - are we going to see the dominant Mosley like in Balt. or will two years off turn him into a liability? And cut those red tips off. Dye them green if you must. 

And a followup on things I may just be surprised at. In a good way:

1.  Mims - he will play and I think he will show why he was a second round pick that should have been drafted higher. 

2.  Ty - many of you know I really like Ty. I think this game may show you doubters (I won’t mention Bobby’s name) why. I expect a decent game from him and, yes, I may be surprised when he tops 100yds total O.

3.  DB’s - I will include all of them for this. I think the game plan Ulbrich comes up with will confuse Sam. Enough to cause TO’s and poor decisions by a QB prone to them. If we win, they will be the unsung heroes.

4.  Kroft - we all expect average to below average play from Kroft. Depending on the defense Carolina employs, I can see a big day for him. Would 5-6 receptions for 60-80 yds and a TD be unreasonable?   

19 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I know Brady adjust his route depth, likely due to noodle arm Bridgewater so he ran more crossers than before. He’s still an elite deep threat, that’s what opens up everything else for him. 

100% but it goes to show the skill set was always there to be more than a one trick pony. Not like we had any great long ball QBs during his tenure. 

On 9/10/2021 at 5:20 AM, Big T said:

Lets stop and look at the positives.

McCaffery hasn't played in a year and is coming off a terrible injury.

Robby is a one trick pony, howbeit a dangerous one.

Darnold lack of reps was even panned by the media, as his reps were non existent and the media jumped on it. 

Now all of a sudden with a preseason of 2 quarters and no reps he's supposed to come out and burn the Jets? 

I don't think so. 

Darnold is not a first half of the season QB, he seems to wake up at about the halfway point of the season EVERY YEAR!

The Jets Defensive line has an advantage over the OL. 

These are things which favor the Jets to win.

The Jets have the better QB, good RB's, and a WR corps even with the loss of Crowder are more than up to the task of winning.

The Jets will control the clock with a ROP.

Final Score the Jets 23 Carolina 17. IMHO

Robby Anderson was more than a 1 trick pony last season. He had 95 catches, he turned almost into a possession wr.  Barely had 1,000 yards for 95 catches though 

We shall see tomorrow, the defense is inexperienced. IDk how they will play out.  I think our offense could be pretty good. I want to see how they run things.  We haven't seen our OL with AVT yet, who I think has the ability to be a ELITE OG. Becton and AVT on that left side is going to be interesting in the run game.  McGovern looked solid in preseason, I think he will have  a solid season.   The OL shouldn't be a train wreck, it should be at least in the middle of the league. The Bears OL looks like a train wreck. 

I really was excited for our DL with Lawson, but now my expectations are less for it. I felt like we had a potentially dominant DL.  The interior should cause issues, hopefully someone at edge steps up. I like John Franklin Myers, idk how he will be at DE though.  I think Huff can be a solid player, hopefully he steps up. 

8 hours ago, xrade said:

Things I am concerned about going into this game beyond the obvious:

1.  Becton - will he be the dominant LT we saw in many games last year or is his poor training camp a harbinger of things to come?  Will he even hold up the whole game?

2.  McGovern - sucked until the second half last year. Of course being in between two scrubs can do that. Will he play like he did at the end of last year or will he re-suck?

3.  Q - we are all expecting Donald-like play from Q. Unrealistic at this juncture. He has not seen much action this offseason and there will be rust. I also expect him to play less than his normal snap count. I think the dominance of our interior DL needs to be tempered this game.

4.  Wilson and Moore - rookie jitters. Normal. How long before they settle down?

5.  Mosley - are we going to see the dominant Mosley like in Balt. or will two years off turn him into a liability? And cut those red tips off. Dye them green if you must. 

Becton will be fine.  He's still super young and will only get better.  Even if he has a few down moments nothing to stress about.  

Q will probably need a few games to get back to full but our interior should dominate with or without Q playing at his peak.  Their interior OL is one of the worst in football.  Actually if we don't dominate them their we are in serious trouble.

No worries for 4 or 5.  Maybe 1 series or rookie jitters at most then it's strictly football.  Mosley will do his thing.

10 hours ago, NJC33 said:

100% but it goes to show the skill set was always there to be more than a one trick pony. Not like we had any great long ball QBs during his tenure. 

We ran multiple systems during his time with us, I think he only flashed deep more because of QB play rather than scheming. He also never had a consistent threat opposite him to open things up. 

9 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Becton will be fine.  He's still super young and will only get better.  Even if he has a few down moments nothing to stress about.  

Q will probably need a few games to get back to full but our interior should dominate with or without Q playing at his peak.  Their interior OL is one of the worst in football.  Actually if we don't dominate them their we are in serious trouble.

No worries for 4 or 5.  Maybe 1 series or rookie jitters at most then it's strictly football.  Mosley will do his thing.

I’m just being negative. I hope you are right. I’ve been a Jet fan for too damn long. The Yanks losing steak ain’t helping matters. 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:38 AM, doumeyer said:

Well this starts my 58 season as a Jet fan, I have no idea how we well do Sunday, it all depends how the Defensive does that is the key. Our very first game 58 years ago was a loss to the Boston Patriots, and it has been down hill ever since, except for the Namath, years.

It’s my 56th. Although we never got to the Super Bowl I also liked most of the 80’s with Klecko Gastineau McNeil, Toon and Walker

I expect good play from a lot of our guys actually, which I haven’t been able to say in awhile. The CAR DL vs our OL I’m intrigued about. Both are talented. So it’ll be interesting to see who wins. We have to run affectively to stand a chance. Our LBs vs CMC and Tremble will be interesting. Mosley I expect to be good, but he can’t do it on his own. The Ss will have to help. But then that makes the coverage weak. Which is already weak being young and going against 3 very good WRs. So IMO they win the chess match with their O against our D. The good news is, that I think the same for us against there D. Our WRs are superior to their secondary. And our RBs are superior to their LBs. Whether we can protect Wilson and create holes for the RBs will decide this game.