Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

13 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Which is better than Wilson's first half...

Darnold had a better QB rating and qbr. He threw for more yards and more completions on fewer attempts while also taking fewer sacks.

The Panthers were playing a ball control, run out the clock offense in the second half.

If you want to try and make the case that Sam didn't play well then you are also going to have to concede that Wilson played worse than Sam. If Sam didn't play well and Wilson was worse than you must think Wilson was bad today?

Never said Sam didn't play well lol.

But after his great first half he really cooled off.  The key was he didn't turn the ball over and Zach did.

The difference between these two teams came down to one guy. Christian McCaffrey. Darnold will benefit all year long because every defensive coordinator will game plan to stop him not Darnold. Amazing how having a weapon like him that teams have to focus on opens up an offense. Gonna be tough for Wilson. Teams won’t respect our running game after today. 

I haven't read the rest of the thread so I don't know how many times it's been said, but in my opinion it can't be said enough: LaFleur really screwed up his debut.

By my count he didn't call a first-down pass until about 06:30 left in the second quarter. At that point Wilson was something like 2/10. Jesus. Give your rookie a few layups in his first game, maybe? Especially when it was evident that we weren't going to get big gains on first down running.

The OL is absolute trash and that's going to really hurt any play's likelihood of success, but at least try to put your QB in a good position.

• Like 2

Other than that, my thoughts:

• Ammendola is an absolute hero and deserves double salary this week (not that we actually made him do any of his usual job)
  • It could be a long rebuild. This team has absolutely nothing. What unit is good? Our DL is good but it's not like they held McCaffrey in check. They need more help
  • That said, our defense performed admirably given the circumstances. I was expecting our corners to get absolutely roasted, but it mostly just came on the huge play to Anderson that him and Darnold have always been good for here and there
  • Wilson to Davis is going to be fun to watch all season
  • If we can get another WR going we might even get some first half points in future games
  • Wilson made a lot of rookie mistakes but he has tremendous arm talent. I'm definitely excited to see more of that

It's not going to be a pretty year and that was probably one of our more winnable games, but this year is all about seeing progression from Wilson. That should be the only barometer for success. Though let's also not go 0-17.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We ignoring how Moore did nothing?

He did have a nice catch that was called back on a penalty, right? I think that was him.

But yeah, disappointing for sure. And no Mims until the dying seconds. I don't know if anyone saw the snap counts? Was Moore keeping Mims out? At one stage we threw a pass to Jeff Smith so I'm pretty sure we could've played more of Moore/Mims if they weren't out there much.

5 hours ago, drew39k said:

Only because that is what you want to see. Wilson led this team to 14 points. 9 for his first 22 and took 6 sacks. He threw an ugly pick and had another throw that should have been picked. That's a Darnold-esc game.

Wasn’t an ugly pick it was a great play by Shaq Thompson. Darnold would have never recovered from a poor first half like Wilson did. We have 3 years of proof. Wilson even under duress looked better than Sam ever had with us under pressure. 

Stop using bum *** Darnold as the measuring stick for Wilson.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We ignoring how Moore did nothing?

Says wayyyy more about how terrible Mike LaFleur was today than it does for Moore. It’s not even like we tried to get him the ball, even though Wilson wouldn’t have had time anyways. LaFleur was reallly bad today. He has to do a much better job going forward. Remember when we were scared he’d be snatched up after one year of being our OC? Not a chance in hell lol. 

3 hours ago, drew39k said:

Which is better than Wilson's first half...

Darnold had a better QB rating and qbr. He threw for more yards and more completions on fewer attempts while also taking fewer sacks.

The Panthers were playing a ball control, run out the clock offense in the second half.

If you want to try and make the case that Sam didn't play well then you are also going to have to concede that Wilson played worse than Sam. If Sam didn't play well and Wilson was worse than you must think Wilson was bad today?

You’re being ridiculous. 

Okay, a reality check here. First the Jets are not as bad as they played.

Second. The team as a whole is an unfinished piece of clay still being molded.

Third. There is still a ton of work to be done on the offensive line.

So let us begin with the offensive line as in "OFFENSIVE" i.e. "terrible". Come 2022 draft, the Jets for all their needs have to prioritize the offensive line again otherwise Zack is going to get hurt.

Let's all hope that the current OL can at least keep him from serious injury, heck they couldn't even open up running lanes. Saleh cannot allow the lack of talent on the OL divide the team so early in the season.

M.B. for all the hoopla has been terrible this year and unfortunately was injured, don't put him in the pro bowl just yet. The guy needs to get lighter on his feet, people are going around him with speed. If Fant is better than Morgan were in deep trouble.

To his credit he is not pointing fingers, but we have the luxury of doing that for him. Every news publication in NY is doing the same thing.

Now team leaders are all giving praise to Zack for his toughness, and bravery. He had "NO CHOICE", he was running for his safety. Zack is the only commodity the Jets cannot afford to lose and seeing as they have little in reserve as QB's are concerned, let's hope he is not injured.

Because the backups will only have the current OL to protect them, heaven help us.

The defensive rookies played well, let's give so credit where credit is due, except for 2 blown plays by the Jets which resulted in 2 TD's they held their own. I'm extremely optimistic that they will continue to grow and get better.

Hold a team to 19 points and you will be in most games, howbeit the strength of the defense which was supposed to be strong against the run was a colander.

I believe we have talent at RB, but you can't run if you don't have the lanes, which brings us back to the OL again.

Davis is a keeper at WR, and perhaps Mims will be utilized more with his size, speed and length. 

Going forward the Jets could still use more help at WR and they have a glaring need at TE.

After seeing this game, and hoping that Zack Wilson will survive this year. I expect the Jets to be drafting in the top 5 next year if the game against Carolina is a preview of the 2021 season.

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Never said Sam didn't play well lol.

But after his great first half he really cooled off.  The key was he didn't turn the ball over and Zach did.

Wilson turned the ball over once an INT. Sam fumbled. Did Sam have a good game ? Really? or Did the Jets OL stink up the first quarter and not give Wilson enough time to sneeze? 6 sacks on a guy who has one of the quickest release's in football if not the quickest and 11 pressures?

McCaffery was the difference in the game and the run defense was absent .

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Wasn’t an ugly pick it was a great play by Shaq Thompson. Darnold would have never recovered from a poor first half like Wilson did. We have 3 years of proof. Wilson even under duress looked better than Sam ever had with us under pressure. 

Stop using bum *** Darnold as the measuring stick for Wilson.

I'm not the one getting upset that Wilson had a Darnold like first game.  You can continue to repeat, to your hearts content, that Wilson was this magical being that made all these amazing plays despite being under duress.

Simply put, Zack Wilson, with a better supporting cast than Sam Darnold ever had, put up 14 points while making a number of poor plays. The silly jump throw he tried multiple times, the ugly interception he threw off his back foot, trying to throw into double coverage, holding on to the ball way too long, taking sacks when he should have thrown it away.... All the same issues Darnold had.

Hopefully he can prove to be better in the long run, but the game tape he put out there yesterday was a Darnold game. If you had issues with how Darnold played in a Jets uni, you should have reservations about Wilson based on how he played. If you can't see the link then you are in denial.

What game were you guys watching, Darnold's,  numbers were good yesterday BUT what about those two sure TD passes he missed in the first half that with any other NFL QB would have been sure TD'S, two 12 yard pass that he made two horrible throws one was high and the other was low and away.