Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You’re being ridiculous. 

What Drew was saying was right,  the second half all Darnold was doing was trying to run the clock out and he did do that. With that said our two best receivers were Davis & Berrios. I will say it looks like this Wilson kid is going to be OK, we got to get this mess of a O line fixed.

47 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

What Drew was saying was right,  the second half all Darnold was doing was trying to run the clock out and he did do that. With that said our two best receivers were Davis & Berrios. I will say it looks like this Wilson kid is going to be OK, we got to get this mess of a O line fixed.

Our two best receivers were Davis and Berrios and he was still productive in the 2nd half. That’s without the threat of the run game. How many times in the last 3 years have we seen this team fall into 2 score holes and then fight back? Especially the Quarterback? Never. And we blamed Bowles, Gase, OL, receivers and defense. And yet Wilson dealt with all that and still found a way to make something happen. Comparing that performance, as a rookie, on the road in his first game to anything Darnold did is ridiculous. 

Sam had a good game btw which isn’t the point. 

• Like 2

Its really hard for me to hate too much on the line as poorly as they played with the pure amount of talent the Panthers D line has (four guys drafted in top 40...think that's going overlooked)   As most of us figured, the lack of any pass rush on defense is gonna hinder this team, especially with the Panthers line being average at best on that side of the ball.  It's going to be a long year.  Edge rusher needs to be number 1 priority this offseason.  We haven't had a legit edge pass rusher in a good 15 years (yes i know the guy we signed from cincy.  but he's more a number 2 rusher than a pure beast)

Darnold played well. We got a chance to see what he would have looked like with us if he had a good offensive coordinator and talent around him. And that Sam Darnold is roughly a league average QB and not a bust like he was with us.

Does yesterday change my mind about our offseason? Not at all. Zach showed he has a higher ceiling.

The only concerning thing about yesterday was the OL. I cannot wrap my head around the idea that we may have a bottom 5 OL. That’s on Joe Douglas. Hopefully they’ll improve with time, but that was scary.

Edited by SDotNova

Giving up 6 sacks isn’t a good sign no matter who we’re playing. Yes CAR has a talented DL. But we are supposed to have an improved OL. And they got bullied. Not just I’m not protecting Wilson but never getting a push for the running game. That was the difference in the game was there DL hugely outplaying our OL. I don’t blame anyone else for the poor performance really. Giving up only 19pts to CAR IMO was actually really good. And it’s hard to score when you’re a 1 dimensional team Bc the OL can’t create holes. 

Now that I am done with the O line it is now Quinnen Willliams, turn in the Doumeyer barrel, a real no show game for him yesterday. The Panthers were missing two O LIneman, and all he had yesterday  was three asst on tackles no solo tackles, no sacks & no pressures on the QB. Was he really worth a very high first round pick? One thing for sure he is no Ndamukong Suh, Alan Page, Randy White, or Bob Lilly.

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Some of you are way too negative. I get it the Jets have sucked for such a long time. But if you watch that game and say "Wilson wasn't impressive he was garbage" idk what you were watching. Wilson played against a extremely good front 7, one of the best in football. They brought insane pressure onto him and he held tough. He made some laser throws that only a few QBs make.  That throw to Mims was insane. He had a beautiful bomb to Moore who dropped it. He had another laser throw on the run to Davis who couldn't grab it. The 2nd TD throw was a perfect pass beating great coverage.

The only thing I am tired of hearing is how we need a better team, because I am tired of not running the football having bad OLs. We need to do better for the QB, cause Wilson was a one man show on offense today.  Davis was a stud too, big physical WR that we haven't had since Marshall. 

This is false. 

Carolina is a middle of the road type D line. Wilson started out 9 of 22 and that is including a 2-8 start. This game was a loss from the start. I still have hopes for Wilson but I will always go back and say we should have kept Sam and traded away the #2 pick for a kings ransom. In the end Sam and Zach are about on the same level. Zach did make some good throws when he had time to throw just like most of the starting QB in the league who have time to throw. I did not see anything special that all the so called scouts saw in his play. Zach's biggest problem is holding the ball WAY too long. Zach in his kind should have said I have no time to throw so I really need to make faster reads and then just throw the ball away/. Instead he would hold it a second to long just like all the other rookie QB's out there. I think we have a VERY long season ahead. I'm just glad we are not the Bills and have that Allen contract to deal with because his accuracy is not good for a starting NFL QB.  

9 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is false. 

Carolina is a middle of the road type D line. Wilson started out 9 of 22 and that is including a 2-8 start. This game was a loss from the start. I still have hopes for Wilson but I will always go back and say we should have kept Sam and traded away the #2 pick for a kings ransom. In the end Sam and Zach are about on the same level. Zach did make some good throws when he had time to throw just like most of the starting QB in the league who have time to throw. I did not see anything special that all the so called scouts saw in his play. Zach's biggest problem is holding the ball WAY too long. Zach in his kind should have said I have no time to throw so I really need to make faster reads and then just throw the ball away/. Instead he would hold it a second to long just like all the other rookie QB's out there. I think we have a VERY long season ahead. I'm just glad we are not the Bills and have that Allen contract to deal with because his accuracy is not good for a starting NFL QB.  

I agree that CAR D is about middle of the pack. But they are crazy talented… it’s just young talent. And the young talent played very well for them yesterday. We tried hitting Moore deep twice and there was great coverage on him. And their front 7 is a top 10 if not too 5 group. So for the offense to struggle shouldn’t be that worrisome Week 1. The issue as I’ve stated was how bad the OL looked. We’ve invested there. And as of yesterday, have not got the benefits of investing there. Hopefully this changes as the year goes on. But after this 1st game it’s much like Darnold as a rookie. Where it’s hard to judge Wilson when he had no time and the run game didn’t help him.

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is false. 

Wilson is the least of our problems, the kid is going to be fine. Last year he played against schools who most of us never about before  and they were horrible. Now he is playing against the beat players in the world and he is holding his own. No way in the world was he the problem yesterday. I like what I saw of him yesterday. He took a savage hit yesterday when he got sacked and pop right up. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree that CAR D is about middle of the pack. But they are crazy talented… it’s just young talent. And the young talent played very well for them yesterday. We tried hitting Moore deep twice and there was great coverage on him. And their front 7 is a top 10 if not too 5 group. So for the offense to struggle shouldn’t be that worrisome Week 1. The issue as I’ve stated was how bad the OL looked. We’ve invested there. And as of yesterday, have not got the benefits of investing there. Hopefully this changes as the year goes on. But after this 1st game it’s much like Darnold as a rookie. Where it’s hard to judge Wilson when he had no time and the run game didn’t help him.

Ever since the Panthers came into league as a expansion team they have always had a strong defensive team, but the same can't be said about their offensive, thru the years.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that we may have a bottom 5 OL. That’s on Joe Douglas.

How can you fault JD?  He spent two FRP's, signed a good RT (Moses) and, at the time, signed a good C.  Those 4 should all be above average starters.  At some point blame must fall upon the players and maybe the coaches for not doing their damn job.