Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

Just now, doumeyer said:

Ever since the Panthers came into league as a expansion team they have always had a strong defensive team, but the same can't be said about their offensive, thru the years.

Well what they did years ago has nothing to do with who they are now. Facts is that the front 7 and DL are very talented right now with Burns, Reddick and Brown on the DL. And a very young talented secondary with Horn, Chinn, Jackson and others.

Point being… that Bc our offense didn’t go off and the OL struggled shouldn’t be crazy worrisome. We played a good defense. Combine that with it being Week 1… and we lost as I expected. What we need to see is improvement. 

25 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is false. 

Carolina is a middle of the road type D line. Wilson started out 9 of 22 and that is including a 2-8 start. This game was a loss from the start. I still have hopes for Wilson but I will always go back and say we should have kept Sam and traded away the #2 pick for a kings ransom. In the end Sam and Zach are about on the same level. Zach did make some good throws when he had time to throw just like most of the starting QB in the league who have time to throw. I did not see anything special that all the so called scouts saw in his play. Zach's biggest problem is holding the ball WAY too long. Zach in his kind should have said I have no time to throw so I really need to make faster reads and then just throw the ball away/. Instead he would hold it a second to long just like all the other rookie QB's out there. I think we have a VERY long season ahead. I'm just glad we are not the Bills and have that Allen contract to deal with because his accuracy is not good for a starting NFL QB.  

I've always been a big Sam guy, still am to a certain extent -- yesterday didn't do him any favors, regardless of what the box score shows. 

Sam missed a handful of wide open reads, playing within a clean pocket and throwing to a far superior supporting cast relative to our secondary. He wasn't bad by any means, but he didn't elevate that offense, he played his role.

Wilson, comparatively, took a beating, remained poised & still looked like our best player in the second half. That deep ball to Moore was 'special', he just couldn't come down with it. Also, from what I understand, he's limited in what he's being asked to do at the line -- so, blame LaFleur for the lack of quick passes to combat the pass rush. 

45 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is false. 

Carolina is a middle of the road type D line. Wilson started out 9 of 22 and that is including a 2-8 start. This game was a loss from the start. I still have hopes for Wilson but I will always go back and say we should have kept Sam and traded away the #2 pick for a kings ransom. In the end Sam and Zach are about on the same level. Zach did make some good throws when he had time to throw just like most of the starting QB in the league who have time to throw. I did not see anything special that all the so called scouts saw in his play. Zach's biggest problem is holding the ball WAY too long. Zach in his kind should have said I have no time to throw so I really need to make faster reads and then just throw the ball away/. Instead he would hold it a second to long just like all the other rookie QB's out there. I think we have a VERY long season ahead. I'm just glad we are not the Bills and have that Allen contract to deal with because his accuracy is not good for a starting NFL QB.  

You are false and start paying attention to other teams. Reddick, Burns, Brown are just a typical run of the mill DL? Absolutely false.  The Panthers have a really good front 7. Multiple 1st round picks in that front 7. Picking up Reddick was big for them, he had 12.5 sacks last season. Burns is a stud edge rusher in his own right and hes getting better. Brown is in year 2 and probably ready to break out.  Shaq Thompson former 1st round pick and he played like an animal.  We won't play that many front 7s with that talent.  

The Panthers are building a talented team, their weak spots are supposed to be OL and secondary, but they just drafted Horn at CB. It was a good landing spot for Darnold, he has a star RB to lean on who carried their offense yesterday. 

The OL has to play better, but to pretend like the Panthers have no good players on the DL is insane. 

No special traits seen in Zach, okay buddy lol. 

Edited by NYJets4716

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well what they did years ago has nothing to do with who they are now. Facts is that the front 7 and DL are very talented right now with Burns, Reddick and Brown on the DL. And a very young talented secondary with Horn, Chinn, Jackson and others.

Point being… that Bc our offense didn’t go off and the OL struggled shouldn’t be crazy worrisome. We played a good defense. Combine that with it being Week 1… and we lost as I expected. What we need to see is improvement. 

I mention it early today this guy Berrios caught five strikes from Wilson, three for first downs, no way he should play over Mimms or Moore, but he has real good hands and is  sneaky fast. He could be a valuable piece of the offensive on certain downs. 

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

How can you fault JD?  He spent two FRP's, signed a good RT (Moses) and, at the time, signed a good C.  Those 4 should all be above average starters.  At some point blame must fall upon the players and maybe the coaches for not doing their damn job.

I agree the players need to step up. I'm really happy about the Moses signing now that Becton is going to be out. 

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

You are false and start paying attention to other teams. Reddick, Burns, Brown are just a typical run of the mill DL? Absolutely false.  The Panthers have a really good front 7. Multiple 1st round picks in that front 7. Picking up Reddick was big for them, he had 12.5 sacks last season. Burns is a stud edge rusher in his own right and hes getting better. Brown is in year 2 and probably ready to break out.  Shaq Thompson former 1st round pick and he played like an animal.  We won't play that many front 7s with that talent.  

The Panthers are building a talented team, their weak spots are supposed to be OL and secondary, but they just drafted Horn at CB. It was a good landing spot for Darnold, he has a star RB to lean on who carried their offense yesterday. 

The OL has to play better, but to pretend like the Panthers have no good players on the DL is insane. 

Oh boy how do I explain this to you. Just because a guy is drafted in the first round does not mean he is good. If you look back at last and and this year prediction you have an average D team. The Carolina D is average but if you want to put it as one of the top 5 D in the league go ahead but they are more in the 15-18 area. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Wilson made a several bad throws but also made a few good throws.  Knowing Darnold, he would probably end up 3 ints and 1 td in place of Wilson. Wilson could strike 3 tds in place of Darnold as well.

We have seen Darnold for 3 years when he was under that kind of pressure, he folds immediately and throws 3-4 INTs. 

AVT graded really bad, watching videos of him he looked lost at times. Probably a factor of not playing in any preseason game and missing training camp.  A lot of people are really high on him so I hope he can get it together. 

Zach Wilson in the second half: 14-21, 174 yards, 2TDs, 8 YPA

All while under distress and following a dismal first half. He was clearly the lifeblood of the offense, as opposed to just playing his part. That stood out from the rookie and you can bet it won over the respect of the looker room, regardless of the outcome.

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

Oh boy how do I explain this to you. Just because a guy is drafted in the first round does not mean he is good. If you look back at last and and this year prediction you have an average D team. The Carolina D is average but if you want to put it as one of the top 5 D in the league go ahead but they are more in the 15-18 area. 

They are all young guys who are ready to break out. They have top end talent on the DL and front 7.  Brian Burns is super talented and can turn into a 12-15 sack guy.  Derrick Brown is only in year 2, hes ready to break out.  They have one of the better DL we will play this season.  

When you start a bunch of 22-23 year olds, expect a lot of mistakes.  

12 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I mention it early today this guy Berrios caught five strikes from Wilson, three for first downs, no way he should play over Mimms or Moore, but he has real good hands and is  sneaky fast. He could be a valuable piece of the offensive on certain downs. 

He’s a great depth player. But from a talent perspective… he’s our 5th best WR. 

6 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Zach Wilson in the second half: 14-21, 174 yards, 2TDs, 8 YPA

All while under distress and following a dismal first half. He was clearly the lifeblood of the offense, as opposed to just playing his part. That stood out from the rookie and you can bet it won over the respect of the looker room, regardless of the outcome.

All the teammates spoke highly. He gets clobbered by 330 pound DT. Gets up and fires a perfect strike beating great coverage the next play for a TD. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s a great depth player. But from a talent perspective… he’s our 5th best WR. 

That is true, but last year also, he came off the bench several times and was productive. I just glad he is one the roster. He he just on of the pieces of the puzzle that Douglas is trying to fit, sometimes the pieces just don't fit.

Edited by doumeyer

There were a few throws Wilson made, that were great plays but weren't completion. One time pressure came right in, Wilson evaded it rolled out to his right threw a beautiful ball to Davis that he couldn't grab but it was like there. 

Then he had a nice deep throw to Moore who dropped it.

Moore and AVT played bad games to start their career, i am really hoping its just because they missed time this summer. We need those 2 to be the players we are expecting them to be.  

We should have Crowder back this week, which will be nice to have a veteran WR who knows how to play. 

We are going to have a lot of ups and downs, this team is super young. The Jets aren't playing to win this season, they are trying to develop players so take this season in perspective. We will most likely have a top 5 pick. 

Becton out 4-6 weeks, having surgery to clean up his knee but no ACL tear. 

So we gonna roll with Fant at LT and Moses RT. Moses should have started regardless, hes the better player at RT.  

Every guy on that OL needs to step up. 

Edited by NYJets4716