Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

They raved about him more than others. In fact they talked highly more of him than any other WR on the team. Now we know he’s not the best WR on the team… but for a staff to talk so highly of Mims for months and then say he didn’t play Bc of lack of knowledge to all the spots, doesn’t align. You wouldn’t talk highly of him for months if he didn’t even know the playbook.

Furthermore… why not play him in the spots he does know if that’s the case?

I think you’re reading way to far into any commentary, which again, only seems extensive because he was the topic of discussion in most all press conferences — moreover, in no way did it feel like the coaching staff was raving about Mims. Obviously they supported him to deflect any bs cut rumors, but he was clearly buried on the depth chart all off-season. Was he not?

For the exact reason Saleh explained — if you’re not one of the top 3, you’re required to know each spot. Disagree with the reasoning, sure, but it was obviously something that was explained to Mims. Something that Berrios/Smith evidently had no problem with. You can’t renege on standards because one guy fell short, that’s not how you establish a winning culture.

Seriously, what do you think is going on here? Why in the world would the HC lie about a young talented player not knowing his responsibilities? Not even trying to be condescending, I feel like it’s clear as day. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

How about how good this young CB group Dis against a good WR group.

I read something about the breakdown from each CB. In short, the CB’s played really well giving up less than 100 yds collectively when targeted. Hall was the best of the bunch. Non-Maye safeties, not so much. I was pleasantly surprised.

16 more games to go for the full evaluation.

How about Saleh just play Mims in spots he does know. Berrios doesn’t know anything outside of the slot and plays. So rotate the two put Moore in the slot to give him some advantages. All these excuses to not get the best 11 on the field is exactly what fans complained about with past regimes but Saleh the savior can do no wrong. 

Mims shouldn’t need to know all 3 spots to play 1 spot. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How about Saleh just play Mims in spots he does know. Berrios doesn’t know anything outside of the slot and plays. So rotate the two put Moore in the slot to give him some advantages. All these excuses to not get the best 11 on the field is exactly what fans complained about with past regimes but Saleh the savior can do no wrong. 

Exactly. Does Hall know all the secondary positions? So don’t play him? It’s stupid. Play the best talent in the spots that make them succeed. Mims could’ve helped us beyond 3 snaps and averaging 10yds A SNAP!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Exactly. 

A trio of Mims-Davis on the outside and Moore inside is tough to deal with. 

Edited by Colt45fool

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yeah I get they are trying to establish a culture here but every time he steps on the fields he's making plays.  It's hard to ignore his talent and if this season is about giving the young guys a chance to grow this move makes 0 sense.  I find it hard to believe we can't find a spot he know.  Hell he's a fantastic run blocker too.  You can't put him out there to block?  This is a bad job by Saleh.  If the guy was lazy and not working hard then make an example but everything they have said is he's a hard worker.  You don't punish that by burying him behind Berries and J. Smith.  You want to out him behind Crowder Cole go ahead but those other two?  There must be something we don't know because this is beyond stupid.

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You need to let Gase go, lol. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I took those comments differently. Mims is a backup and is unfortunately backing up our best WR Corey Davis. If Mims wants to get on the field, the best way is to learn all three positions that way he’s the first one off the bench. As it stands, he’s only going to play when Corey Davis needs a break.

The alternative is to play Corey Davis out of position which is not a bad idea. I think he’s versatile.

54 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I took those comments differently. Mims is a backup and is unfortunately backing up our best WR Corey Davis. If Mims wants to get on the field, the best way is to learn all three positions that way he’s the first one off the bench. As it stands, he’s only going to play when Corey Davis needs a break.

The alternative is to play Corey Davis out of position which is not a bad idea. I think he’s versatile.

There’s no way in hell this offense cannot incorporate both into the system in certain packages. If a coach can find a way to get a 6’3, 4.3 40, contested catch machine on the field then he needs to be fired.

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

There’s no way in hell this offense cannot incorporate both into the system in certain packages. If a coach can find a way to get a 6’3, 4.3 40, contested catch machine on the field then he needs to be fired.

But in order to incorporate Mims, he needs to learn other positions. You can’t have two guys on the same spot on the field.

I personally think they should put Mims at the X and play Corey Davis opposite him off the line. Davis is versatile and can handle it.

Edited by SDotNova