Week 1: New York Jets @ Carolina Panthers - Darnold's "Revenge"

KingOfNewYork

One last word about the Mims saga from me.  Maybe.  I read something that made a lot of sense regarding Mims' usage.  In short, Mims may not know the intricacies of route running in a Shanahan system.  Apparently every route has multiple options based on defensive alignment.  Ie., a crossing route may happen shallower or deeper depending on the play of the D.  The QB and WR have no idea what exact route is going to be run until the play starts.  At that point, the WR and QB better see the same thing or it results in an inc. or worse, an int.  It is possible Mims is not picking up those nuances because of missing a lot of TC.  I have also read that Mims was getting "corrected" quite a lot in practices for running the wrong route and he did not handle the "correction" as well as he should have.  If all this is the case, I can see why he is on the sidelines.

Here's the thing that chaps my *** a bit.  Just state that Mims is working on his route running and that they would like to see a bit more before unleashing him.  That would be truth and diplomatic.  Saying he needs to learn all the WR alignments a routes just seems like an unfair situation to put him in.  I am sure Berrios does not have to know the outside WR routes.  Maybe they just need to slow it down for Mims.  Have him just learn the Z routes a little at a time and increase his playing time accordingly.  Maybe they are doing just that.  If he is still having difficulties learning at a slow pace, they may need to trade him sooner rather than later.

Lets not forget all the time Mims lost this year.  If he is not the quickest learner, it may take time.  It was not like he came from a college that even taught how to run routes.  They probably told him just go "that way" as fast as you can.

5 hours ago, SDotNova said:

But in order to incorporate Mims, he needs to learn other positions. You can’t have two guys on the same spot on the field.

I personally think they should put Mims at the X and play Corey Davis opposite him off the line. Davis is versatile and can handle it.

I don't understand why Davis and Mims can't both play outside. Sure if you are running two WRs on the same side of the field it might make sense to sub one for a slot type like Moore. 

I firmly believe that Mims catches both balls that Moore dropped last week.

9 hours ago, xrade said:

One last word about the Mims saga from me.  Maybe.  I read something that made a lot of sense regarding Mims' usage.  In short, Mims may not know the intricacies of route running in a Shanahan system.  Apparently every route has multiple options based on defensive alignment.  Ie., a crossing route may happen shallower or deeper depending on the play of the D.  The QB and WR have no idea what exact route is going to be run until the play starts.  At that point, the WR and QB better see the same thing or it results in an inc. or worse, an int.  It is possible Mims is not picking up those nuances because of missing a lot of TC.  I have also read that Mims was getting "corrected" quite a lot in practices for running the wrong route and he did not handle the "correction" as well as he should have.  If all this is the case, I can see why he is on the sidelines.

Here's the thing that chaps my *** a bit.  Just state that Mims is working on his route running and that they would like to see a bit more before unleashing him.  That would be truth and diplomatic.  Saying he needs to learn all the WR alignments a routes just seems like an unfair situation to put him in.  I am sure Berrios does not have to know the outside WR routes.  Maybe they just need to slow it down for Mims.  Have him just learn the Z routes a little at a time and increase his playing time accordingly.  Maybe they are doing just that.  If he is still having difficulties learning at a slow pace, they may need to trade him sooner rather than later.

Lets not forget all the time Mims lost this year.  If he is not the quickest learner, it may take time.  It was not like he came from a college that even taught how to run routes.  They probably told him just go "that way" as fast as you can.

I think this is a good point if true

Also on the Becton injury....anyone else just annoyed with Bectons conditioning? I get it hes young, but if youre injured this much between last year and this year youre out of shape and need to have better conditioning in the offseason. 

9 hours ago, Colt45fool said:

Also on the Becton injury....anyone else just annoyed with Bectons conditioning? I get it hes young, but if youre injured this much between last year and this year youre out of shape and need to have better conditioning in the offseason. 

Agreed but not everything has been his fault.  If you get rolled up on by a 300 lb lineman it's tough to come out unscathed.

10 hours ago, Colt45fool said:

What does conditioning have to do with getting rolled up on?  By all accounts he met the weight the team set for him.  Just bad luck on this one.  Can happen at any time to the OL.