WEEK 1: UNDEFEATED Denver Broncos @ New York Giants - 2.25pm MDT /// 4.25pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Agree with all of the rational people in here. Excellent performance against a poor opposition. 

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is Josey Jewell's performance. He's so underrated. There's a lot of Bronco fans who constantly want to replace him and I can't fathom why. 

Agreed on Jewell. If he was any more athletic, he'd be a pro-bowler.

I'd add Dre'mont Jones as an underrated performance. His get off is insane. A number of times he's the first guy off the snap (Von included) and was instantly in the backfield. Seemed to happen most against the run than pass but he has some serious potential... 

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is Josey Jewell's performance. He's so underrated. There's a lot of Bronco fans who constantly want to replace him and I can't fathom why. 

He consistently got better last season and kept that up on Sunday. I thought both him and AJ were extremely good. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

My boy Vic? Wow okay. Secondly, I've been plenty critical of Elway.

You and I have discussed this on here before, I do not like what Ellis and Paton are doing with the "playing meaningful games in November and December" crap, that has to be troublesome for anyone who has followed this team closely and intently for a long time, like all of us here - and I respect the football acumen and true fan spirit that 99% of this forum has, it's why I've been a member here for over 15 years. Why am I the only one who seems to be bothered by that? As I said, Mr. B always said any season that doesn't end with a Super Bowl win is a disappointment and now we've set the goal of being in contention for a wild card spot in the second half of the season? Mr. B is spinning in his grave. 

Paton might be well-respected as a scout and personnel man. As I've maintained, I do like a lot of the players he picked this year. I think signing Teddy and retaining Vic was a mistake as it virtually guaranteed he would win the starting job before the ink on the contract had dried since Vic and Shurmur et. al. are coaching for their jobs. What does signing a veteran journeyman (and Teddy played very well the other day, but he's a not a Super Bowl QB, and Vic is not a Super Bowl coach) do for us long term to win a Super Bowl? It's just like all the middling QBs that have passed through Minnesota since Paton was there, where the team has never made a Super Bowl and the two NFCCGs they played in came in years where they got a miracle play against a clearly superior team and the other when they had to first-ballot HOF'rs (Favre and Peterson) in what were the final great years of their respective careers. Combine that together with the quote from him and Ellis and it's troubling. It sounds exactly like something one would hear come out of Richard Monfort's mouth and that sickens me. 

You are not the only one AAA - I too am bothered by the approach of Paton. 

I remember when Broncos fans were complaining about going to the SB and repeatedly losing - saying that we shouldn't even try to get there because the team was embarrassing by losing so badly. I was pointed out that my local GAA team in Ireland, at the time, hadn't been to an All-Ireland final since 1914. The Irish soccer team currently has a manager who has been in charge for 16 games - he has won once (a friendly against those powerhouses of world soccer - Andorra) and after the latest defeat he came out and said that the plan was never to try and qualify for the next world cup, but to bring in young players. I was hopping mad - the guy should have said 'we are going to go all out to win all our remaining qualifying games' - but he held up the white flag instead and should have been sacked on the spot. 

You cannot win the SB unless you get to the SB and you won't get to the SB unless that is your target each and every year. Even without a QB and even if you are rebuilding - you have to have a winning culture to ultimately succeed and you do not create a winning culture by talking about playing 'meaningful games' in November and December.

• Like 1

By the way - for those talking about KJ's dropped pass - I place most of the blame on Teddy - the ball was short and over his wrong shoulder. KJ had to beak off his stride and slow down to wait for the ball, giving the DB a chance to get to him, and then had to try and turn completely around to catch the ball. Teddy should have laid the ball out in front of him so he could catch it in stride in the endzone - but Teddy didn't have the arm to do that.

19 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

By the way - for those talking about KJ's dropped pass - I place most of the blame on Teddy - the ball was short and over his wrong shoulder. KJ had to beak off his stride and slow down to wait for the ball, giving the DB a chance to get to him, and then had to try and turn completely around to catch the ball. Teddy should have laid the ball out in front of him so he could catch it in stride in the endzone - but Teddy didn't have the arm to do that.

I agree that Teddy could have placed a better ball, but 99% of the blame is on Hamler. The ball hits you in the chest with a defender 3-4 yards away. No excuses on that. Hopefully he uses that as motivation to get his hands right because so far in his career, he has a hands issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. 

You're an NFL WR. You turn to make a catch, the ball hits you in the chest, you catch the ball. End of story.

You just can't stand the fact that TB just played a fantastic game at QB. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Both things are true. It was a terrible throw and KJ still needs to catch it. 

It was a terrible throw?  Really?  How quickly we forget the QB play we’ve seen the past few years, where “Terrible throw” would have meant either a) the QB never even saw the wide open receiver and went elsewhere with the ball, or b) if the had, it would have been under or over thrown by 5 + yards and impossible to catch.  

was it a perfect throw? No.  But that is a long way from “Terrible” Was it a catch that a NFL receiver should make 99 times out of 100? Yes.  As such, it was most definitely a “Terrible” catch. 

11 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

It was a terrible throw?  Really?  How quickly we forget the QB play we’ve seen the past few years, where “Terrible throw” would have meant either a) the QB never even saw the wide open receiver and went elsewhere with the ball, or b) if the had, it would have been under or over thrown by 5 + yards and impossible to catch.  

was it a perfect throw? No.  But that is a long way from “Terrible” Was it a catch that a NFL receiver should make 99 times out of 100? Yes.  As such, it was most definitely a “Terrible” catch. 

Yes, really. It was absolutely terrible ball placement. That’s a pitch-and-catch touchdown that became a difficult play. I don’t care what our past QBs would have done, the throw in question was a bad one. 

It’s weird that something so obvious even has to be acknowledged. Bad throw, bad drop. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. 

You're an NFL WR. You turn to make a catch, the ball hits you in the chest, you catch the ball. End of story.

You just can't stand the fact that TB just played a fantastic game at QB. 

This is a good example of some fans being too entrenched in their positions to look at something with nuance and objectivity. The throw was bad. Overall he played a very good game, it’s fine. He’ll hopefully put it in a better spot next time. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

This is a good example of some fans being too entrenched in their positions to look at something with nuance and objectivity. The throw was bad. Overall he played a very good game, it’s fine. He’ll hopefully put it in a better spot next time. 

Probably true.

That's something you see fairly often with the lightning fast guys though. TB needed another yard on the ball. Instead of 55yds it should've been 56.5. At that though he'd overthrow every WR/TE on the team not named Hamler.

Hamler is really fast!

I'd imagine by midseason they've got it down.

40 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yes, really. It was absolutely terrible ball placement. That’s a pitch-and-catch touchdown that became a difficult play. I don’t care what our past QBs would have done, the throw in question was a bad one. 

It’s weird that something so obvious even has to be acknowledged. Bad throw, bad drop. 

Lol. That’s hilarious.  

I just listened to Von mic'd up on the Broncos website.

The respect he has in that locker room is insane. You can just tell how much he's matured.

If the athleticism is still even 80% of what it was, the mature, hungry version of Von is going to be something special this year.

• Like 1