WEEK 1: UNDEFEATED Denver Broncos @ New York Giants - 2.25pm MDT /// 4.25pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

The number of plays I got to see was really limited but I think we've solved the one problem on offense I was worried about, that being the IOL. Cush looks like a different player from last year and the entire IOL benefits. Last year we gave up the A gaps regularly. What I saw from yesterday we've tightened that up. 

Is that a good impression? If it is, this offense really has few limitations. That's the best performance by an offense we've had by anyone not named Elway or Manning.

That’s scary. But it will be a good opportunity to see Muti this week and pop some runs behind him. 

It’s noticeable that we now have several spots where a starter going down just puts another good player on the field. They’ve had a solid run of drafts and coaching continuity is probably helping player development.

That 2020 draft looks like it’s going to produce somewhere between 4-6 hits so shout out to Elway for going out strong. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The number of plays I got to see was really limited but I think we've solved the one problem on offense I was worried about, that being the IOL. Cush looks like a different player from last year and the entire IOL benefits. Last year we gave up the A gaps regularly. What I saw from yesterday we've tightened that up. 

Is that a good impression? If it is, this offense really has few limitations. That's the best performance by an offense we've had by anyone not named Elway or Manning.

I think that’s a fair analysis. I was saying to my girlfriend all game that Teddy had all day to throw. That’s against a team who’s invested a lot of resources into the trenches.

I don’t think we are a superbowl contender this year but I do think we are a very good candidate to get a wildcard in the AFC and hopefully win a playoff game. If Teddy keeps playing how he did on Sunday though, we may need to revisit that. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I didn't really key on it a ton but I thought the opposite. At least one play Cush was embarrassed by one of the interior defenders and Glasgow had a few really ugly plays as well. Risner I remember having a rough time on a couple of pass plays but not quite as awful as the 2 former. Now, that could be a product of the competition, Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are pretty damn good. I was pretty firmly in the "start Lock over Teddy" camp but that game is a lot closer with Lock trying to deal with the interior pressure as opposed to the vet.

@lomaxgrUKDo you plan on doing the weekly analysis this year?

5 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

I didn't really key on it a ton but I thought the opposite. At least one play Cush was embarrassed by one of the interior defenders and Glasgow had a few really ugly plays as well. Risner I remember having a rough time on a couple of pass plays but not quite as awful as the 2 former. Now, that could be a product of the competition, Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are pretty damn good. I was pretty firmly in the "start Lock over Teddy" camp but that game is a lot closer with Lock trying to deal with the interior pressure as opposed to the vet.

I saw the same from our O-line. I saw at least one of them just not guard anyone on multiple plays which is worrisome. Then again, even with a defender making a b-line towards Teddy he found ways to create plays. I'm 100% sure Lock would've had at least 2 interceptions/fumbles against the Giants D and wouldn't have been surprised if we lost 17-14 if not worse. I think it says a lot that Lock basically had only 2 games as good as Bridgewaters in the past 2 years... Easy choice

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I absolutely said that. I also said if Lock won the competition he could too. It's got little to do with the individual, it's got everything to do with the offensive scheme.

This is pure WCO with more 21st century formations. Run properly with the personnel we have it's really difficult to stop. At QB it requires a very smart guy to run it. A "point guard" if you will. TB's perfect for it. Very smart, reads defense's rapidly, calm, makes the proper decision rapidly and executes. Great pocket presence, elusive and can throw crazy accurate darts at 30-40 yds.

Thats the description of a Bill Walsh, WCO QB. 

What I disagreed with is the "pulling for Teddy" part. I didn't do that, I just pointed out the obvious. If Drew would have won I'd be ecstatic, shocked but ecstatic. Nothing I've ever seen from him would make me think he could make that transition in one year. He didn't.

Re the bold.  Did you hear the Fox guys talk TB up.  Amazing how many people rave about his football iq.  During his post game interview when the interviewer was naming all the talent he has to get the ball too his smile just kept growing as she was listing the names.  She noted it too.  And the comment from the Fox guys that Parcells is his mentor and told him to get the ball in the end zone.  I took that comment to mean that hey you got a team and a half to work with.  Don't check down unless its the right play.  Go after it and get some damn TD's cuz you can ball out on this team.  These first three games are a window for TB to get some confidence and hopefully it carries over throughout the season.  Don't know why (I followed him like I did) but I always thought the year he got hurt he was going to take a big step and become a top QB in the league - like 5-10 overall.  The injury though changed everything.  Who knows though, with this offence most of us could be decent at qb which speaks volumes about Lock doesn't it.     

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

It was pretty much a spot reaction from watching about a dozen plays. The battles seemed intense but what I didn't see were the missed assignments we had last year with wide open A gaps.

46 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Agree with all of the rational people in here. Excellent performance against a poor opposition. 

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is Josey Jewell's performance. He's so underrated. There's a lot of Bronco fans who constantly want to replace him and I can't fathom why. 

I think everyone assumes he’s a slow white guy run stuffer, but he has actually developed into a really good all around LB 

16 hours ago, champ11 said:

So are you just coming to terms with the fact that Mr B is gone? Surprised that you keep going on about this like it is a novel idea and that we don't understand what you are talking about. Quite obvious we aren't the Broncos of old. We've had, like, 4 games to be excited about in aggregate since the Super Bowl. Pretty much any well informed fan could tell you the ownership situation has had this organization in the mud. But this is the best team we have had since the SB, with a highly regarded GM (continues to be hilarious you want to complain about him when Elway was the captain of the sinking ship and hired your boy Vic), a lot of fun talent....some people might just want to approach this season with some optimism! Like I said a week or two ago - you can flip the culture of an organization in a number of ways. 

My boy Vic? Wow okay. Secondly, I've been plenty critical of Elway.

You and I have discussed this on here before, I do not like what Ellis and Paton are doing with the "playing meaningful games in November and December" crap, that has to be troublesome for anyone who has followed this team closely and intently for a long time, like all of us here - and I respect the football acumen and true fan spirit that 99% of this forum has, it's why I've been a member here for over 15 years. Why am I the only one who seems to be bothered by that? As I said, Mr. B always said any season that doesn't end with a Super Bowl win is a disappointment and now we've set the goal of being in contention for a wild card spot in the second half of the season? Mr. B is spinning in his grave. 

Paton might be well-respected as a scout and personnel man. As I've maintained, I do like a lot of the players he picked this year. I think signing Teddy and retaining Vic was a mistake as it virtually guaranteed he would win the starting job before the ink on the contract had dried since Vic and Shurmur et. al. are coaching for their jobs. What does signing a veteran journeyman (and Teddy played very well the other day, but he's a not a Super Bowl QB, and Vic is not a Super Bowl coach) do for us long term to win a Super Bowl? It's just like all the middling QBs that have passed through Minnesota since Paton was there, where the team has never made a Super Bowl and the two NFCCGs they played in came in years where they got a miracle play against a clearly superior team and the other when they had to first-ballot HOF'rs (Favre and Peterson) in what were the final great years of their respective careers. Combine that together with the quote from him and Ellis and it's troubling. It sounds exactly like something one would hear come out of Richard Monfort's mouth and that sickens me. 

15 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

What I really don’t get is why you put so much stock what people say on social media or on the radio. As if the majority of those people have enough brain cells to form any kind of coherent thought. Gotta tell you, anytime I don’t hear music on the radio I presume any of the hosts or callers are probably complete idiots. If all you care about is for the team to be ran like Shanahan would, I also gotta tell you that name hasn’t been associated with winning championships in almost 23 years so maybe try picking a better model.

Are the Giants good? Definitely not, but in the past that was certainly a game Lock or any of the past 10 QBs would of found a way to lose. No one is saying we will win the SB, anyone claiming that is just trying to rile people like you up but we can enjoy not looking like the old Browns for a change. 

What does Shanahan have to do with anything I said?

My points were about how Mr. B ran the team, how high he set the expectations, how it was a Super Bowl or bust team. When Elway was here, despite all the mistakes he made during the middle portion of his tenure (I think everyone here agrees the early years, 2011-2015, and late years, 2018-20, were more good than bad in terms of personnel acquisitions), at least he was trying to win and keep the team in Super Bowl contention. Now the GM says the goal is to be competitive during the back end of the season. Elway, for all his mistakes, which I've been critical of for years, at least built a roster that went to two Super Bowls and won one, as Mr. B would have expected.