Week 1: Packers @ Saints in Jacksonville GDT

2 hours ago, Haha21 said:

uld

2 hours ago, Haha21 said:

I've been wishing for years that the Packers would invest high capital draft picks on the defensive line. Kenny Clark is a stud but he can't do it on his own. Our secondary has the potential to be great, but if our defensive line can't stop the run or pressure the QB that won't happen.

That's literally not been possible though so I kind of get it. Like Perry technically, Gary was possibly a reach, but still secondary players fall further than elite (important) trench players. The closest we have probably gotten is 15 picks away, and look at 2nd round DL picks that have been successful - you are much better off spending that capital in other places. We have to hope our offence makes that problem unimportant to win, and that makes sense from a strategy standpoint. 

7 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

That's literally not been possible though so I kind of get it. Like Perry technically, Gary was possibly a reach, but still secondary players fall further than elite (important) trench players. The closest we have probably gotten is 15 picks away, and look at 2nd round DL picks that have been successful - you are much better off spending that capital in other places. We have to hope our offence makes that problem unimportant to win, and that makes sense from a strategy standpoint. 

in the draft, yes - but there have been some FA hits the last few years that we should have participated in.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

in the draft, yes - but there have been some FA hits the last few years that we should have participated in.

Like when we signed two high value OLB's three years ago? I'm not sure I buy that wasn't the right decision over the time period, like maybe we only sign Z, then have money for Watt or something, but still not convinced. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

Like when we signed two high value OLB's three years ago? I'm not sure I buy that wasn't the right decision over the time period, like maybe we only sign Z, then have money for Watt or something, but still not convinced. 

yes, similar to those very good moves.

something like: Dalvin Tomlinson and/or JJ Watt (and Jamal Williams) instead of Aaron Jones

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yes, similar to those very good moves.

something like: Dalvin Tomlinson and/or JJ Watt (and Jamal Williams) instead of Aaron Jones

I think Tomlinson AND Watt might be excessive (we have Tomlinson + already), as would be the Smith's (as in both was  probably over doing it). Gute made a gamble on that position that I think he is learning from. Also the Jamaal deal vs. the Jones deal is really, IMO, a bad/slash I can't really understand what it would be like to be in that position deal. Jones shouldn't have taken it, but if he did, why not give it to him? There was a Gute quote about Stokes that hit me really hard, which TT also epitomised ("that would be really good for the packers") Which is how a gm should behave/think/act if I'm being honest.  

Some random thoughts after the massacre: 

+ Jenkins -- guy is just a terrific player 

+ Myers -- rookie more than held his own out there

+ Gary/P. Smith -- probably were our 2 best defensive players out there even going up against two All-Pro caliber OTs

+ Dillon -- liked the way he finished his runs despite limited snaps

- Rodgers -- has to play to a higher standard

- Tonyan -- once the Saints took away the boot-leg (which accounted for about half of Tonyan's catches last year), he didn't do a damn thing against a 40-year old Jenkins all day. We might be overrating 85. 

- Newman - for a rookie 4th rounder, his play wasn't terrible, but his complete whiff on Jordan on Rodgers' first INT literally changed the entire game, thus it earns him more criticism. Football games are won or lost on a few plays and the game literally turned from us potentially closing the gap to 17-10, to an INT and soon game-over score by NO. Rodgers still could have avoided the poor throw, but Jordan certainly influenced the play when he absolutely toasted our rookie OG in a critical moment. Can't have that stuff against good teams. 

- Keke -- didn't notice whether he even played yesterday until someone here talked about him after the game. That's not a good thing for a guy we are depending on to take a big jump since we did nothing else to address our porous DL all off-season. 

- King -- played as expected, which isn't a good thing

- Lowry - his biggest contribution to the game was jumping off-sides to make the 4th and goal from the 3 a 4th and goal from the 1 instead. Thanks Dean. 

- Campbell/Barnes -- our ILB unit looked like the unit from the last 15 years -- one of the worst in the NFL. We continue to try these retreads expecting different results. Barnes is WAYYY overrated by the local brass here. He looked lost in the run game and was a non-factor in any type of big play. In fact, he looked like what he is, a guy who 32 teams didn't care to draft. 

We will see if things improve and I still expect the Packers to look a lot better this season, especially against teams who don't have dominant OLs like the Saints and really good DCs like Allen. We will continue to prey upon those teams but we also won't play those teams in January. 

Edited by packfanfb
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

You could literally put this response on repeat from our head coach over the last 10 years. 

They'll get out cleaned up man! Relax

Edit: honestly I'm not sure what anyone can say after that anyways

Edited by Norm

Worst Packer game I've watched since the Cardinals game that got Mac fired.

Things GB needs to do...

• Hire someone to bathe Aaron Rodgers.
  • Hire someone to cut Rodgers' hair.

Things GB should consider....

• Insert Kelly somewhere, maybe RT.  Move Jenkins inside.  Turner to LT.  Patrick to RG.  Newman looked lost, putting Patrick at "his" spot should help, and moving Jenkins inside will help stabilize that unit, and he can help Turner.
  • Move Barry first to the booth, then to the parking lot.

Now that I'm cleansed, honestly, this was an embarrassing game.  We weren't ready to play.  They really were.  They seemed to know what we were going to do before we did it.  Sometimes you gotta tip your hat to a team, and this is that time.  

And right now, I'm not sure that GB wasn't the worst team in the league on week one.  No where to go but up.