Week 1: Packers @ Saints in Jacksonville GDT

mikebpackfan

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So if Kelly can hold his own at a tackle, we get better.  At the expense of Newman.

It shouldn't happen now, maybe not even after this coming week.  But if Newman doesn't get his game right after a few games, then it needs to be considered.  

Kelly can't pass protect. You don't get better by getting worse at RT.

Just got done grading Newman. He yielded two pressures in 35 pass attempts, was responsible for no bad runs and had no obvious missed assignments. Could you highlight the plays, besides the two pressures, where Newman failed to perform adequately? I didn't see a single one. He wasn't dominant, but calling him "lost" means you haven't looked at his tape. 

50 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Kelly can't pass protect. You don't get better by getting worse at RT.

Just got done grading Newman. He yielded two pressures in 35 pass attempts, was responsible for no bad runs and had no obvious missed assignments. Could you highlight the plays, besides the two pressures, where Newman failed to perform adequately? I didn't see a single one. He wasn't dominant, but calling him "lost" means you haven't looked at his tape. 

I knew there would be someone defending Newman!  And you are right, I'm not rewatching the game.  Just remembering times when the interior was blown up.  It honestly isn't that important to rewatch.  It was an awful game all around.

Hopefully I'm being too harsh on Newman.  But I remember a lot of pressure up the middle and Myers actually graded out well.  And that surprised me.

EDIT:  I just googled who gave up the pressure that led to the Rodgers interception.  Newman.  Not sure if that is one of the two pressures you are talking about.  

PFF 55.4 score.

For context, Jenkins.  89.6.  Patrick. 73.9.  Myers.  71.9.  Newman.  55.4.  Turner.  69.1.

Edited by vegas492

6 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The worst thing about this game to me was how quickly EVERYONE seemed to quit when Aaron threw that INT when we were about to make it 17-10. It was a backbreaker no doubt, but you can't fold up the way we did there either. Heart of this team is in serious question.

This. What I saw was a Saints team that wanted it far more than the Packers who just thought "they would go up and down the field on whoever was out there". Saints wanted it so much more than the Packers on Sunday. Played with fire and passion. I didn't see that from almost anyone on the entire Packers roster on Sunday.

16 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The worst thing about this game to me was how quickly EVERYONE seemed to quit when Aaron threw that INT when we were about to make it 17-10. It was a backbreaker no doubt, but you can't fold up the way we did there either. Heart of this team is in serious question.

Didn't the defense force their first punt after this interception?  So, maybe not the WHOLE team?

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Still gave up 3 more scores after the fact so idk hard to give them much credit.

Well, I give you that they gave up after the 2nd interception, but it was kind of reasonable to at that point.  We had a chance after the defense forced that punt, but the offense pissed it away again.

26 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Seemed like the same thing happened last year at Tampa Bay. Rodgers threw a pick 6 and then another INT on the next possession, and the team imploded. Like they were so shocked by what happened they couldn't recover.  

43 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Seemed like the same thing happened last year at Tampa Bay. Rodgers threw a pick 6 and then another INT on the next possession, and the team imploded. Like they were so shocked by what happened they couldn't recover.  

This entire team, and especially 12, has never been great at coming from behind, especially if a deficit reaches double-digits. 

Quite frankly, this is one of the reasons why I'm more on board with electing to receive the opening kickoff instead of deferring. When we kick, it's almost a given against any decent team that we'll be trailing by the time we first see the ball on offense. 

Every time the Packers lose in a blowout the following 3 things happen:

1. Defensive let-down: can't stop the run, can't create pressure, secondary gets overworked and burnt by JAG's.
2. The offense responds by drawing up 15-20 yard plays: We were strong in-between the Tackles when we pushed Davenport and Jordan out of the play; except we decided to show our desperation by drawing up 20 yard chunk plays every other play. I'm very close to being convinced that this is a Rodgers thing because it happened under MM...
Sidebar: This is a big part of what got Carson Wentz run out of Philly...
3. The running game is abandoned early after a couple of stuffs: It's very typical for either defense in a game to come out swinging in the run game, but if you don't completely abandon your running game you'll eventually wear the other defense down. Someone else mentioned in another thread that we should've went power-running with AJ Dillon and they were right.

With that said, there really isn't much left to discuss here other than how I(and several others) were right to lose my(our) mind(s) when Barry was selected as the DC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I knew there would be someone defending Newman!  And you are right, I'm not rewatching the game.  Just remembering times when the interior was blown up.  It honestly isn't that important to rewatch.  It was an awful game all around.

Hopefully I'm being too harsh on Newman.  But I remember a lot of pressure up the middle and Myers actually graded out well.  And that surprised me.

EDIT:  I just googled who gave up the pressure that led to the Rodgers interception.  Newman.  Not sure if that is one of the two pressures you are talking about.  

PFF 55.4 score.

For context, Jenkins.  89.6.  Patrick. 73.9.  Myers.  71.9.  Newman.  55.4.  Turner.  69.1.

7:23 in the first quarter, he did a great job for a rookie in recognizing the stunt, then got totally beat by it because he was playing high.

I had him for half a bad run at 10:24 in the 3rd, he and Myers couldn't work the combo

At 9:42 in the third quarter, he got Iso'd up against Cameron Jordan in the redzone pressure package. It's going to happen to late 4th round rookies in their first game going up against All-Pros. This was the pick.

At 6:10 in the third, he had questionable help for Turner where it was questionable if it was assignment or if he was doing extra. 

Newman was fine. His performance wasn't disappointing because he had any colossal screwups. It was disappointing because we got four other performances in run blocking that were fine and nobody elevated themselves. 

And that's alright, he's a 4th round rookie, who isn't making any money, playing Guard. You can live with fine. You're happy with fine. But you need it elsewhere from guys that are high draft picks, are making big money, and are playing impact positions. This team has 33 million in cap commited to Offensive Lineman, 23 of it is on PUP :(

• Like 2