GDT 9/13/21 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Las Vegas Raiders

DreamKid

Loss doesn't bother me. Would've liked to win(obviously) but this team had insane issues coming into today and a disaster last couple months in many respects. Anyone taking this one to the heart should chill. If anything feel for the Raiders fans who might be fooled into believing this win will be indicative of their future prospects.

Actually liked a lot of what I saw from some key guys-

Odafe Oweh- Holy smokes. Didn't see this big of a game coming from him. Really stepped up after a lackluster end to the preseason. Super encouraging. Had the Sack and multiple pressures including a key one on that goal line INT.

Hollywood & Watkins- Looked switched on, despite Lamar still shaking off the rust and the OL being trash. 

Houston- Better than I thought he'd be. Viable rusher in the stable. 

AA- Had a great game. One of his peak days and hopefully we'll be treated to less valleys in 2021.

I'll have to review but I think the CB group as a whole looked really strong. Most of our lapses on defense were low percentage plays we're just not going to see throughout the year and some bad calls by Wink. Wolfe being out really hurt too.

Excited for this squad to face the Chiefs on a short week. This is a real character building stretch of reality and invaluable opportunity for a lot of the young players on our roster. EDC gets to go into the workshop and all of our coaches begin the tuning process. Real crazy start to the season for sure. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Totty said:

Great game guys.  I know the disappointment.  But seriously one of the best games I've ever seen.  

Y'all deserved the win as the Ravens let y'all hang around. Also, the Raiders should more heart at the end. 80% of the world doubted y'all winning and you pulled it out. Congrats on the win.

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Lets not lose sight of what’s really important. And that’s compensatory picks.

Though I'm angry, this is hilarious!

• Like 1

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Wasn't Mekari a tackle in college? His only problem in the pros has been snapping. He can't POSSIBLY be any worse than AV. 

Might not be worse than AV, but Mekari did have a rough preseason at LT for us. Initially switched to IOL coming out of college because of his short arms. 

No reason to play him there at all unless it's an emergency. EDC will just have to swing a trade, no other option. We've been here before. Mid season trades for defenders recently(Marcus Peters, Yannick) and now we have to address an issue on offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Loss doesn't bother me. Would've liked to win(obviously) but this team had insane issues coming into today and a disaster last couple months in many respects. Anyone taking this one to the heart should chill. If anything feel for the Raiders fans who might be fooled into believing this win will be indicative of their future prospects.

Actually liked a lot of what I saw from some key guys-

Odafe Oweh- Holy smokes. Didn't see this big of a game coming from him. Really stepped up after a lackluster end to the preseason. Super encouraging. Had the Sack and multiple pressures including a key one on that goal line INT.

Hollywood & Watkins- Looked switched on, despite Lamar still shaking off the rust and the OL being trash. 

Houston- Better than I thought he'd be. Viable rusher in the stable. 

AA- Had a great game. One of his peak days and hopefully we'll be treated to less valleys in 2021.

I'll have to review but I think the CB group as a whole looked really strong. Most of our lapses on defense were low percentage plays we're just not going to see throughout the year and some bad calls by Wink. Wolfe being out really hurt too.

Excited for this squad to face the Chiefs on a short week. This is a real character building stretch of reality and invaluable opportunity for a lot of the young players on our roster. EDC gets to go into the workshop and all of our coaches begin the tuning process. Real crazy start to the season for sure. 

This is where I am after this loss. I saw some encouraging signs. Lamar seems to have a solid connection with Watkins deep which can be a valuable asset the further we get into the season.

I felt the interior of the OL wasn’t on the level of last year- I feel it’s a little bit better. I still feel center is a huge weakness because Bozeman was snapping ducks. They were getting back there so slow the defender could nearly meet Lamar when the ball did (though I suppose that might make them somewhat easier to catch- in theory.)

The biggest surprise for me was the play of Stanley. I suppose I should expected this considering his injury, but he- in no way- looked like the All Pro/PB level player he was. I’m not sure what to expect from him moving forward. Maybe he’s still needing to rebuild strength and conditioning, but he looked below average to bad.

AV looked worse than I expected as well, but transitioning to a new position at his age and the fact that he’s on the decline, I think it makes sense that he looks as bad as he does. I’m however hoping he improves with each passing game and can approach average with more time. If not he should be replaced by game 4.

That said, I still feel attacking the skill positions and getting Oweh made the most sense. A pass rushing threat with legit run stuffing ability with Oweh’s potential is usually a top 10 pick. He looks like he’s off to the right start as well with what looked like two half sacks.

Whereas now the OL is priority #1. I think this season is simple, if we can figure out how to solve the OL to get back to an above average level by seasons end and maintain health, we can make some serious noise. If we don’t, we’ll need to figure it out in the postseason for sure. We have the available draft capital.

It’s just crazy to me people are fine with “yeah, our OL sucks. but we’re fine, hopefully it gets better by week 4 or 5 or something” lol folks we’ll be out of the division race by then. feels like i’m taking crazy pills or something. terrible OLs don’t just magically cure themselves and we should stop pretending they do. we don’t have a McKinnie coming to save us. we have Patrick Mekari and Adrian Ealy lol.