GDT 9/13/21 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Las Vegas Raiders

DreamKid

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

Mayne we will get lucky and Ja'Wuan James can come back by December. Not likely. 

I do take SOME comfort on knowing that he will likely plug that RT hole next year. We need tackle depth desperately. Maybe even a pure center. The jury is going to be out for a while on Bozeman. 

I didn't notice Bozeman getting blown back as much as I did Stanley, AV and Powers. Even Zeitler I felt looked okay. I guess it's just hard to tell when Lamar was running for his life on every snap because of Stanley and AV.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Oh yeah, on an additional note, damn did Yannick make us look dumb last night for how we used him. The Raiders just put him on the field with his hand in the dirt and let him work and wow it's almost like he's an amazing pass rusher. Who knew?! Crazy how mis-used he was here.

Stanley will get the benefit of the doubt from me. Coming off a big time injury and he needs to get game acclimated. He'll be okay. 

AV is a liability and he needs to be benched. The only problem is for who? Mekari couldn't be any worse. Hell, try Powers over there and stuff Cleveland at LG lol

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

Stanley will get the benefit of the doubt from me. Coming off a big time injury and he needs to get game acclimated. He'll be okay. 

AV is a liability and he needs to be benched. The only problem is for who? Mekari couldn't be any worse. Hell, try Powers over there and stuff Cleveland at LG lol

The solution to the AV situation isn't on the roster currently IYAM.

35 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

There's a few positives that came out of this game. 

- Watkins had a solid game

- Oweh looked the part and was all over the place. 

- Queen looked much improved, even if it's only one game. 

- Averett looked solid. 

The negatives are glaring though. The rush was pathetic and the offensive line gave Lamar no time. Best part? When they managed to give Lamar even a little bit of time. He made clean and accurate throws. 

All key points and guys I was noticing all night. Sammy could’ve had better, but Lamar wasn’t accurate 

Brandon Williams was out there a ton. Had some good pushes, but they got us on counters with the rushing in the second half. Ellis seems to be a very solid rotational NT. 

We have had panic before and blow the tops off week 2. I believe a lot of the defense is playing without Peters, how do we manage. Averett looks to be what Wink says about him. Young was very much second guessing a lot last night. Granted he’s been out almost two years. Jimmy comes back and should shore up this defense with his play and leadership back there. 

Elliott and Clark showed off some improvement early on. Didn’t really focus on them second half if they were getting beat at all 

After sleeping on it, some thoughts on how this team can stand to improve over the course of the season:

• Sign or trade for a new RT, possibly Mitchell Schwartz. AV has had the same struggles since last season. Dude is unable to play with leverage and at this stage of his career has proven to be a complete liability in pass protection. We CANNOT afford to let Lamar get injured in a contract year. Forget the outlook for the rest of the season, an injury to Lamar due to incompetent offensive line play could hinder this franchise for years to come, given the massive contract he is likely due.
  • Ben Cleveland needs to start. This may occur by virtue of the injury to Phillips, which is unfortunate, but his power in the run game is desperately needed from the interior.
  • Stanley needs to work his way back to game shape and stop being so timid. He looked like a shell of himself last night, but what made it all the more disappointing was his lackadaisical effort. Whether we attribute it to conditioning or not, he failed to follow through on a number of his blocks. We can't have our $20M franchise tackle not playing through the whistle.
  • At some point Nick Boyle will return, and his added blocking ability should be a tremendous aide to whatever side of the line that needs it the most (more than likely the right side).
  • Promoting Le'Veon Bell from the practice squad. T-Will is clearly our best runningback at the moment, both in terms of talent and familiarity with the playbook. However, as evidenced by the last play on offense, the reason he ceded carries to Murray (aside from Roman's preference of using the bigger/fresher back down the stretch) was that he is a downgrade in terms of pass protection. Le'Veon, despite being removed from his prime, is still one of the best backs in the league in terms of pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. Being able to get Murray and Bell up to speed and rotate these three guys should make a huge difference in our running game moving forward.
  • The return of Boykin and Bateman. More so than adding bigger bodies in the passing game, given the nature of Roman's scheme, these guys are needed for their downfield blocking ability.
  • Increased cohesion and familiarity. Given all the moving parts due to injury and time off, I think just having the ability to get through a few weeks of practice and games with the same set of guys should do wonders for building chemistry and familiarity with one another. This aspect of football is severely underrated.
  • On defense, similar to the previous point, it felt at times as if Wink was overthinking and trying to overcompensate for the abrupt injuries the week before the first game. I think we'll see him learn and improve from this, or at least should be given the benefit of the doubt due to this history with us, so far.
  • Eventually Jimmy, Wolfe and Hayes should return. Think the former two's importance can't be stated enough. Smith gives us another big bodied corner to match up with the Darren Wallers of the world, and Wolfe adds to our D-line rotation, which is what allows our big guys to be so fresh and make big plays down the stretch of games.

So, at the end of the day, it's not all doom and gloom. There's a lot of things to be hopeful about going forward, but the underlying problem with a lot of the aforementioned solutions is timing. Hopefully we are not in too deep of a hole before folks start getting healthy and the team finally starts coming together.

5 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

One of the examples of the hesitations last night. Lamar's just gotta let that rip and get 7 yards.

Yup. Independent of the OL play last night Lamar looked shaky against a cover-3 Gus Bradley defense yet again.

They better prepare to see those looks throughout the year, because we haven't really been able to show that we can crack it up to this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Yup. Independent of the OL play last night Lamar looked shaky against a cover-3 Gus Bradley defense yet again.

They better prepare to see those looks throughout the year, because we haven't really been able to show that we can crack it up to this point.

He's just gotta trust his eyes and let it rip. Had a couple good crossing throws that beat the cover 3 but for some reason he just doesn't let it rip sometimes. When he was confident, his throws looked great.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

He's just gotta trust his eyes and let it rip. Had a couple good crossing throws that beat the cover 3 but for some reason he just doesn't let it rip sometimes. When he was confident, his throws looked great.

Agreed. Have to think him/the WRs literally getting like 2 training camp practices in this year has put us behind the 8 ball with getting this passing game better.

• Like 1

I'm definitely more disappointed in the defense. Soft coverage and ineffective blitzes are a bad combination. If there were any adjustments made they were minimal. 

It would have been nice to see more runs on offense but at the same time I get it. With Williams being the only guy active that's been on the roster for more than a week it's not like anybody else was ready to roll in this particular offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

I'm definitely more disappointed in the defense. Soft coverage and ineffective blitzes are a bad combination. If there were any adjustments made they were minimal. 

It would have been nice to see more runs on offense but at the same time I get it. With Williams being the only guy active that's been on the roster for more than a week it's not like anybody else was ready to roll in this particular offense. 

What does this mean? Williams got 3 touches in the 2nd half.