God of War: Ragnarok (Nov 9th)

BobbyPhil1781

35 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I am very sad we went months with nothing coming out that I wanted, and cod - Ragnarok and Pokemon all come out within 3 weeks of each other.

Man, I hear you on that.  I've really had nothing I've been overly interested in, and then in the next 3-4 months, a bunch of stuff I've been looking forward to is coming out, and I know I don't have time to just dive into them all.  I wish I could just pause my life and responsibilities, and just binge game for a few weeks lol.  Like Adam Sandler, in Click, but I only need the pause/play button. 

I want both of those two, plus the new Fire Emblem in Jan; Witcher 3 upgrade is supposed to be coming out in '22 still, as far as I know, and I've been putting that game off for what feels like 2 years, waiting for the upgrade for my first playthrough.  Hogwarts in Feb.  And then games like Forspoken and Midnight Suns that I'll want to check the pulse on, to see if they are something I'm eventually interested in.  Same with the AEW game and WWE 2k.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I am trying to do the same.  I wish you luck, as I'm going to need it.

Yeah, it's not like I don't trust the game won't be amazing or anything lol. I just don't want to pay full price b/c I'm cheap and still had Valhalla untouched...... man, this is going to be very difficult

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, it's not like I don't trust the game won't be amazing or anything lol. I just don't want to pay full price b/c I'm cheap and still had Valhalla untouched...... man, this is going to be very difficult

The closest Ive paid for full price for a game in the last decade was Forbidden West, and only really because it came as part of the PS5 bundle.  

I cant exactly remember, but the last time I bought a game full price was probably 2013, and that was either Sleeping Dogs or Arkham Origins.   Since then, pretty much every game Ive bought has been between $4 and $20.   

Ragnarok is one of those very few games I absolutely WOULD pay full price for, but I have so many other games to play for cheaper (on top of replaying the first GoW), that I can easily hold off on buying it until he drops to $30 or even $20.

In reality, its highly unlikely I will ever buy a game full price again.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 43M said:

Ragnarok is one of those very few games I absolutely WOULD pay full price for, but I have so many other games to play for cheaper (on top of replaying the first GoW), that I can easily hold off on buying it until he drops to $30 or even $20.

This is where I'm at as well. Ragnarok is probably the last game I will ever pay full price for. Between the subscription services and PS Plus I just can't justify $60-$70 on games anymore. But Santa Monica Studios did such an amazing job on the 1st game I feel compelled to reward them for the 2nd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

But Santa Monica Studios did such an amazing job on the 1st game I feel compelled to reward them for the 2nd. 

Thats the primary reason Im tempted, but between holidays and all the extra money Im throwing into both of my vehicles before winter (on top of wanting to replay the first one and my PS Plus membership), I think its smarter to wait, since by the time I end up playing it, it will likely be at least $30 cheaper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 43M said:

The closest Ive paid for full price for a game in the last decade was Forbidden West, and only really because it came as part of the PS5 bundle.  

I cant exactly remember, but the last time I bought a game full price was probably 2013, and that was either Sleeping Dogs or Arkham Origins.   Since then, pretty much every game Ive bought has been between $4 and $20.   

HFW was a day one purchase for me as was FFVIIR. Aside from that, I'm right there with you lol. As long as it takes me to play games, I'm in good shape bc there's a lot of good stuff coming out soon and next year. 

• Like 1

Trying to dodge all the early reviews and gameplay vids on social media. People already getting some story elements spoiled by people with early releases. I just want to be awed like I was the first playthrough of 2018. I still remember how blown away I was the first fight with Baldur. Wed just can't get here fast enough. No more political ads on TV, GOW, and the holidays right around the corner 🎉

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Trying to dodge all the early reviews and gameplay vids on social media. People already getting some story elements spoiled by people with early releases. I just want to be awed like I was the first playthrough of 2018. I still remember how blown away I was the first fight with Baldur. Wed just can't get here fast enough. No more political ads on TV, GOW, and the holidays right around the corner 🎉

That's the worst part about waiting to see movies and play certain games.   YouTube does a horrible job hiding spoiler content.   In fact, I constantly get spoilers in my recommended feed.   The titles of the videos alone spoil things. >:(

29 minutes ago, 43M said:

That's the worst part about waiting to see movies and play certain games.   YouTube does a horrible job hiding spoiler content.   In fact, I constantly get spoilers in my recommended feed.   The titles of the videos alone spoil things. >:(

Yeah people have no chill, I stay up and watch a lot of the Disney+ shows at 3 when they are posted, because otherwise you wake up to twitter/YouTube spoiling everything 

• Like 1

I watched about 5 minutes of IGN's review (said they heavily restricted potential spoilers) and that was enough for me.

Enjoy my last post in this thread until I get this game after the holidays...... And have fun to everyone that is not as cheap as me lol. Looks like it's going to be absolutely amazing.

54 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I watched about 5 minutes of IGN's review (said they heavily restricted potential spoilers) and that was enough for me.

Enjoy my last post in this thread until I get this game after the holidays...... And have fun to everyone that is not as cheap as me lol. Looks like it's going to be absolutely amazing.

Some Sony gift card sales today at target, not gonna get it below $40, but could get it a little cheaper 

• Like 1

I thought about waiting to buy it, but screw it.  I didn't pay full price the first time around, so figured I would this time.  Not that they need my money but it's nice to show support for a developer and a game that I know will be great.  So often games don't live up to the hype or release buggy as hell, so feels good when a game lives up to the expectations and comes out a polished product (as far as I know).  A developer should be rewarded for that.

• Like 3

Played for a good 3 hours last night. Still playing through the opening story building missions. Haven't even hit the open world yet. But wow what a fantastic opening to the game.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

-The opening scene with the sled and Freya chasing you was intense
-The meeting with Thor and Odin was so unnerving. Knowing there was no way Kratos was going to take that "deal" and I was going to fight Thor
-The fight with Thor was insanely hard. I'm playing on the No Mercy difficulty and it took me a good 20 tries to finally get past him. Can't imagine what the 2nd fight is going to be like. Just glad to be past all the insults. Dude was doing real damage to my ego
- Love the new charge up mechanics for the Leviathan Ax and the Blades of Chaos.
- Enemies seem tougher in this. Died a few times just fighting normal enemies

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Do I need to play any previous games to really enjoy this one? 

I tried playing the last GOW and didn't really get into it. 

It has a cool recap of the 2018 game built in as a feature. But if you didn't like the first game you probably won't like this either. The gameplay, mission structures etc are almost exactly the same with a few added tweaks. As far as the old games.. there are references to some of the events in the past like the battle with Zeus but usually just in conversation with Atreus or Mimir.