God of War: Ragnarok (Nov 9th)

BobbyPhil1781

14 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Do I need to play any previous games to really enjoy this one? 

I tried playing the last GOW and didn't really get into it. 

Would recommend you don't buy this game, tbh. God of War 2018 is free for PS5 users. If you couldn't get into it, then why would you spend full price for this game? Lol

• Like 1

I’m an idiot for being firm in my “won’t buy a game for full price” stance. This and horizon will never fall to worthwhile for the wait levels. I do hope though that the gameplay feels fresh and not just an expansion of the first game, I just played that fairly recently. 

39 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I’m an idiot for being firm in my “won’t buy a game for full price” stance. This and horizon will never fall to worthwhile for the wait levels. I do hope though that the gameplay feels fresh and not just an expansion of the first game, I just played that fairly recently. 

To each their own, pretty big on putting money into what you like. If it's not important its fine waiting for the markdown for sure.

Like not that long ago it looked like great single player games were dying, I try to support them when it's something I'm into.
So like this, Jedi Fallen Order...stuff I would hate to see die or change. 

If it's a stale copypaste franchise, like Far Cry...I tend to also wait. Only one I don't do that for is Pokemon, cause those prices dont really go down all that much.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 7:25 AM, Shockwave said:

Played for a good 3 hours last night. Still playing through the opening story building missions. Haven't even hit the open world yet. But wow what a fantastic opening to the game.

Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

-The opening scene with the sled and Freya chasing you was intense
-The meeting with Thor and Odin was so unnerving. Knowing there was no way Kratos was going to take that "deal" and I was going to fight Thor
-The fight with Thor was insanely hard. I'm playing on the No Mercy difficulty and it took me a good 20 tries to finally get past him. Can't imagine what the 2nd fight is going to be like. Just glad to be past all the insults. Dude was doing real damage to my ego
- Love the new charge up mechanics for the Leviathan Ax and the Blades of Chaos.
- Enemies seem tougher in this. Died a few times just fighting normal enemies

Spoiler

Have you fought "The Hateful" yet?  He's a boss enemy from one of the early side missions you get.  Dude is a menace.  He's been piecing me over and over again lol you are definitely right the game is harder. I'm playing on that same difficulty.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:
  Hide contents

Have you fought "The Hateful" yet?  He's a boss enemy from one of the early side missions you get.  Dude is a menace.  He's been piecing me over and over again lol you are definitely right the game is harder. I'm playing on that same difficulty.

had a couple restarts with him, helped me re-find the rhythm.

I was just like "I took down all the Valkyries, how do I suck this much now"

Spoiler

Hateful Draugrs

Yea those are insanely hard. I actually just today cleared the second Draugr hole and it was so much easier the second time now that I'm ranked up a bit.

I feel like the parry timing is a little different in this one. I think it has to do with the different shields. I'm using the one with the high risk/high reward and I think the parry window for it is smaller then it was in the first game. Throws me off sometimes. 

Also

Spoiler

I'm currently on the Atreus mission with Sindri to go visit Freya and man I laughed so hard when Atreus tried to punch through the chest and failed lol. 

Edited by Shockwave

2 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I’m a little over 12 hours in and am I the only one that finds it extremely boring?  And that saddens me as someone who loves the franchise as a whole.  

Been a bit on rails, hopefully opens up. Already has seemed to as far as options go post that first new realm.

8 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I’m a little over 12 hours in and am I the only one that finds it extremely boring?  And that saddens me as someone who loves the franchise as a whole.  

I wouldn't say boring but the first 10 hours or so have been very linear. I just unlocked Alfheim and it still feels like the game is dictating which direction I go. Hoping it opens up soon. I'm done with the Wetlands for now. Those venom spitting tree huggers frustrated me.

Spoiler

Loving the interactions between characters though. Kratos and Mimir, Atreus and Sindri, Atreaus and Tyr. Had some really cool and hilarious comments and moments. The guy that voices Tyr is fantastic. I thought for sure it was Billy Crudup but googled it this morning and it's some other dude.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:28 AM, Ty21 said:

I never bought Horizon Forbidden West partly due to the time the game released. I saw it for $29 a few days ago.

I've had a great time so far, but this one section was a chore to get through (not a major spoiler):

Spoiler

When you play as Atreus and go to Ironwood during your sleep.  I HATE HATE HATE when games make you play as secondary characters.  It wasn't as bad as playing as Mary Jane or Miles Morales in Spiderman (2018), but still wasn't fun.  I get that it was necessary to an extent for the story, but it was drawn out so much.  Did I really need to ride on an animal and pick fruit for what felt like forever?  That was dumb.  The only cool part about this section is when you confront Greya or whatever her name is that is taking animals' souls, but you don't even fight her really.  I was literally begging to get out of this section.  And it is almost like the game kept teasing you too.  "Unless you want to leave..." "Nah, I wanna stay."  Sigh.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Been a bit on rails, hopefully opens up. Already has seemed to as far as options go post that first new realm.

I’m not really even talking about it being linear.  That’s fine relatively speaking.  I’m talking about the “gameplay” loop.  I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone.  To me this isn’t that much of a video game. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I wouldn't say boring but the first 10 hours or so have been very linear. I just unlocked Alfheim and it still feels like the game is dictating which direction I go. Hoping it opens up soon. I'm done with the Wetlands for now. Those venom spitting tree huggers frustrated me.

Hide contents

Loving the interactions between characters though. Kratos and Mimir, Atreus and Sindri, Atreaus and Tyr. Had some really cool and hilarious comments and moments. The guy that voices Tyr is fantastic. I thought for sure it was Billy Crudup but googled it this morning and it's some other dude.

Oh the voice acting is tremendous.  There’s a very specific section that just absolutely kills all momentum.  Like I said I don’t want to spoil anything but it involves a yak or an ox.  I’m not entirely sure.  Even without that though the “gameplay” loop is tedious 

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I've had a great time so far, but this one section was a chore to get through (not a major spoiler):

Hide contents

When you play as Atreus and go to Ironwood during your sleep.  I HATE HATE HATE when games make you play as secondary characters.  It wasn't as bad as playing as Mary Jane or Miles Morales in Spiderman (2018), but still wasn't fun.  I get that it was necessary to an extent for the story, but it was drawn out so much.  Did I really need to ride on an animal and pick fruit for what felt like forever?  That was dumb.  The only cool part about this section is when you confront Greya or whatever her name is that is taking animals' souls, but you don't even fight her really.  I was literally begging to get out of this section.  And it is almost like the game kept teasing you too.  "Unless you want to leave..." "Nah, I wanna stay."  Sigh.

I 100% agree.  Although I will say the 1st time I didn’t hate as much as I thought. But subsequent times I wanted to prepare for a colonoscopy instead. 

• Like 1