God of War: Ragnarok (Nov 9th)

BobbyPhil1781

Just finished the game as well.. and I gotta admit, the rushed ending really hurts it for me. It felt like Ragnarok should've had way more set pieces/fights and that didn't happen. I think @iknowcool put into words a lot of my gripes with the story.

Which is a shame because the production is so polished, great soundtrack and voice performances. Should be a 10/10, but it's more on the 8/10 just because of how poor the ending is.

I finished as well over the weekend. I would give it a solid 9. I still found the story really good and engaging, it lacked pacing a lot (Jotunheim...) and the ending was definitely not as polished as I'd have hoped. Kratos and Atreus relationship is the most important and was the part they did the best. I am disappointed by the ending with

Spoiler

Sindri

though.

I platinumed it yesterday as well, first game I have ever done. Not sure why but I was bored and it only took about 3 hours to finish the ravens and artifacts I missed.

• 1 month later...

Didn't it start off with the sled ride and Freya trying to kill you? I guess he's referencing that as the cinematic? I will say my biggest complaint with Ragnarok was how long it too for the corridor type linear story building to let up. Once that was over the game opened up and was a blast. But the first 5 hours or so did feel a bit too guided. I still haven't beat it though. Got a bit too tiresome with all the Atreus side missions.

Edited by Shockwave

On 1/23/2023 at 5:12 PM, iknowcool said:

What game are you playing?  Because Ragnarok does not start with 30 minutes of cinematic.

The one that doesn't let me go do what I want. I knew I wasn't going to like it. Not my type of game.

I haven't even played that Red Dead western game for the same reason.

It's a nothing burger to 90% of gamers, but to me, God of War is a no go.

I never really liked any kind of games like this in my life, so don't be too offended.

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The one that doesn't let me go do what I want. I knew I wasn't going to like it. Not my type of game.

I haven't even played that Red Dead western game for the same reason.

It's a nothing burger to 90% of gamers, but to me, God of War is a no go.

I never really liked any kind of games like this in my life, so don't be too offended.

I'm not offended, just sounds like you aren't giving games a proper chance.

If you think Red Dead Redemption doesn't give you freedom, then quite frankly I'm not sure what games you think do give you freedom.  

Of course everyone is free to like what they like.  So if you don't like GOW straight up that is fine.  But the way you described how the game starts isn't true.  It is like maybe 20 minutes of cinematic (including the dream sequence) and then you branch off to look for Atreus.

Edited by iknowcool

7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm not offended, just sounds like you aren't giving games a proper chance.

If you think Red Dead Redemption doesn't give you freedom, then quite frankly I'm not sure what games you think do give you freedom.  

Of course everyone is free to like what they like.  So if you don't like GOW straight up that is fine.  But the way you described how the game starts isn't true.  It is like maybe 20 minutes of cinematic (including the dream sequence) and then you branch off to look for Atreus.

I know Red Dead Redemption did, but it took too long to get there.

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

You can play that game for 60 hours and still find new things, but you are locked in to about a 2 hour prologue. That is too long?

Way too long.

Three biggest pet peeves in video games are prologues, dream sequences and having to follow someone. Honorable mention is having to play as a different character.