NFL Regular Season Overreactions

JAF-N72EX

On 9/16/2021 at 7:01 AM, EvilenFroggen said:

“Who Got My Back” will be considered the most irritating ad for at least this season and next. 

“Serena/Wonder Woman” will be beaten out for second most irritating ad at some point this season, but just barely. 

I guess it IS overreacting to say that. Both ads suck aggressively, but the NFL has months to come up with more that suck even worse.

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

No. 

As with most high profile players, we were once told that Barely would be one of the greats, and like mindless drones, most bought it and will overlook every speck of evidence that may indicate otherwise for as long as possible. 

The unfortunate thing is even if he was, nearly everybody realized the Giants had no business being the team drafting him. It was a misguided notion based on total delusion they Eli wasn’t completely washed and you could build around him. Let alone all the other issues the team had. 

The fact that he’s dealt with injuries and hasn’t really been that generational level player he was predicted as is just salt in the wound. He’s still very good, but that will never not be a dumb pick and the debates on it were infuriating 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, ronjon1990 said:

No. 

As with most high profile players, we were once told that Barely would be one of the greats, and like mindless drones, most bought it and will overlook every speck of evidence that may indicate otherwise for as long as possible. 

I don't really understand this.  How was anyone mindless for being sold on Barkley being one of the greats?  He was phenomenal in college and was immediately a top-3 RB in the NFL as a rookie.  In his first 2 years before injury, he ran for 2,310 yards at 4.8 YPC and 17 TDs, and 143 receptions for 1159 yards and 6 touchdowns.  And I'd be willing to bet the list of guys with those kind of yardage totals in their first 2 years isn't long.

We can question how Barkley will be going forward but acting like people were "mindless" for buying into him is a huge stretch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I don't really understand this.  How was anyone mindless for being sold on Barkley being one of the greats?  He was phenomenal in college and was immediately a top-3 RB in the NFL as a rookie.  In his first 2 years before injury, he ran for 2,310 yards at 4.8 YPC and 17 TDs, and 143 receptions for 1159 yards and 6 touchdowns.  And I'd be willing to bet the list of guys with those kind of yardage totals in their first 2 years isn't long.

We can question how Barkley will be going forward but acting like people were "mindless" for buying into him is a huge stretch.  

Moreso the level of hype some people have in terms of assurances that he 100% will go down as one of the greatest ever and NOTHING WILL STOP HIM AMD YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR EVEN CAUTIONING THAT SOMETHING MAY DERAIL HIS CAREER. 

There's a lot of that. It's often never enough to say "He has the potential to be great if things work out for him" when discussing players in the Pre-Draft process, especially with fans of a particular player. 

Barkley has been a stud before. I, personally, would like to see it again. But of his career never picks back up, nobody is going to talk about his first 2 years in the league in 30, 40, 50 year's time as anything great other than as a footnote unless he somehow gets a 30 for 30 out of it. 

By "mindless", let me clarify: He's supposed to be a top 5 RB. He's not playing like one. "If" he rebounds (and to be clear, I think he will), then great. But "if' is the ultimate excuser. When someone doesn't play like a top 5 RB, they're not a top 5 RB, the top 5 RBs are the top 5 RBs and that person is not. But you can be rest assured that there will be people pounding the table that he's "really a top 5 RB, but..." 3 atrocious years from now of it came to that, and the reason will hinge almost entirely on what he was supposed to be, not what he is. 

The mindless ones I speak of are the ones who have a hard time admitting when someone is washed and finished before realizing their full potential because it doesn't fit the narrative given about a player's capabilities. 

A recent example is Cam Newton. Dude was supposed to change the game and be one of the greatest to ever play. He had all the talent in the world, but he was, overall, am average QB. That was apparent to plenty of people after a couple of years, but "Super Cam" was a thing being propped up long after it needed to be laid to rest. If's and but's, candy and nuts. Some tried to make Newton going to New England last year some big splash and obvious career renaissance in the making, and that, in my opinion, was mindlessly following the narrative that Cam Newton was actually supposed to be great instead of accepting the reality that he was, and pretty much always had been, an average NFL QB.