Jump to content

2021 Around the League Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Broncos have extended both Tim Patrick and Courtland Sutton.  Damn.

Phuc spending big on FA.  This team needs more young talent.  Sutton may have been a nice pickup but then keeping ARob would be just as good until we can draft better WRs.

Until we get a coaching staff here who can make use of the talent we do have I'm gonna remain opposed to spending big on more UFA guys who never seem to thrive in Chicago.

Like Moose Muhammad once said.  Chicago is where WRs go to die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, soulman said:

Phuc spending big on FA.  This team needs more young talent.  Sutton may have been a nice pickup but then keeping ARob would be just as good until we can draft better WRs.

Until we get a coaching staff here who can make use of the talent we do have I'm gonna remain opposed to spending big on more UFA guys who never seem to thrive in Chicago.

Like Moose Muhammad once said.  Chicago is where WRs go to die.

At this point Bears either need to tag or re-sign Robinson once the season concludes, otherwise the position group is going to be brutal next year because im not confident whoever the GM is will be able to convince a guy like Chris Godwin to sign here with multiple suitors likely involved...if he even makes it to FA.

I'd say somwhwere between Sutton's  new deal and what Golladay got from the Giants last offseason is a good number for Robinson (~$16-17M per year average).

I don't think Robinson has much leverage right now with the type of season he's had so might be a good time to pounce.

I mean if we're expecting Fields to progress as a QB we can't rely on just having Mooney and a draft pick be his top targets. That'd be setting him up to fail as far as I'm concerned

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Robinson has much leverage right now with the type of season he's had so might be a good time to pounce.

He might be willing to bet on himself for a year in a good situation (like Green Bay, Tampa). He's still young and I don't think he wants to be a Bear anymore.

Edited by abstract_thought
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

He might be willing to bet on himself for a year in a good situation (like Green Bay, Tampa). He's still young and I don't think he wants to be a Bear anymore.

He may not want to be a Bear under these circumstances...I mean who really would?

Though with a new regime and new hope for next season ,and the right money of course I don't see why not. 

This team is definitely not better without Robinson in 2022 and in the event he walks and slim chance they get a comp pick for him, that won't be until 2023 so I don't see the point in letting him just walk as a FA when there's a huge need right there.

Those teams you mentioned probably won't be able to afford Robinson anyway.  It'll be tough for GB to even keep Adams, and there's lots of chatter on this being the 'last dance' for Rodgers and Co. in Green Bay so we'll see.

Tampa is in the same boat cap wise, and even if they could afford him wouldn't they just be better off trying to re-sign Godwin over Arob?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He may not want to be a Bear under these circumstances...I mean who really would?

Though with a new regime and new hope for next season ,and the right money of course I don't see why not. 

This team is definitely not better without Robinson in 2022 and in the event he walks and slim chance they get a comp pick for him, that won't be until 2023 so I don't see the point in letting him just walk as a FA when there's a huge need right there.

Those teams you mentioned probably won't be able to afford Robinson anyway.  It'll be tough for GB to even keep Adams, and there's lots of chatter on this being the 'last dance' for Rodgers and Co. in Green Bay so we'll see.

Tampa is in the same boat cap wise, and even if they could afford him wouldn't they just be better off trying to re-sign Godwin over Arob?

I could see ARob taking a 1 year deal, possibly even at a discount, so he can finally play with a good QB and prove his value. The teams I mentioned were just examples. He could go to a number of teams with established QBs.

I agree the Bears should try to extend him. I just don’t think they’ll get that chance. These are the options I can see:

1. Convince him to sign an extension. (Unlikely)

2. Tag him. (Bears can’t afford the ~21.5M cap hit)

3. Let him walk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Pretty crazy how much better the Chief's D has looked over the last 4 games compared to the first 7...

Even Mahomes is starting to look a bit more like himself...have to question if he was 100% healthy at the start of the year.

Jones definitely looked way better since going back to DT too. That has to have a lot to do with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2021 at 1:07 PM, Madmike90 said:

Jason Garrett out as OC in New York...

Suspect Joe Judge will follow at the end of the year...that Giants job will always be attractive to any potential head coach.

 Seriously?  How excited would you be to work for a place who has previously fired and replaced the guys holding the job your seeking every two years.  Why bother to unpack?  LOL

#
Name
Term
Regular Season(gc)
21
2020 –present
16
20
2018 – 2019
32
19
4
18
2016 – 2017
28
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, soulman said:

 Seriously?  How excited would you be to work for a place who has previously fired and replaced the guys holding the job your seeking every two years.  Why bother to unpack?  LOL

#
Name
Term
Regular Season(gc)
21
2020 –present
16
20
2018 – 2019
32
19
4
18
2016 – 2017
28

Its largely the fact its a big market. Some of the endorsements can make up something like half their salary in them with these markets. Mot just players.  

Arguably you can say the bar has been set low too for the Giants since 2016 so they may feel the objectives will be easier to meet? Just thinking out loud. 

Kind of like the point about trying to follow Shanahan on DEN being a pain, this SHOULD theoretically be easier. 

Unless I would really like the draft pick slots, a few prospects for a key spot or two, and cap space I wouldn't want it compared to most opportunities though. I really don't like their roster. That being said I'd Jo at the chance to be a millionaire while being unqualified - Nagy did it and was paid VERY well. 😂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2021 at 1:10 PM, topwop1 said:

He may not want to be a Bear under these circumstances...I mean who really would?

Though with a new regime and new hope for next season ,and the right money of course I don't see why not. 

This team is definitely not better without Robinson in 2022 and in the event he walks and slim chance they get a comp pick for him, that won't be until 2023 so I don't see the point in letting him just walk as a FA when there's a huge need right there.

Those teams you mentioned probably won't be able to afford Robinson anyway.  It'll be tough for GB to even keep Adams, and there's lots of chatter on this being the 'last dance' for Rodgers and Co. in Green Bay so we'll see.

Tampa is in the same boat cap wise, and even if they could afford him wouldn't they just be better off trying to re-sign Godwin over Arob?

If ARob leaves I’d love to see us target Michael Gallup. He’s uber talented and has both size and speed, will be just 26, and he’s 3rd fiddle WR in Dallas behind Cooper and Lamb. I can’t see how they can justify paying him. L

Related - it totally blows that it’s just now Thanksgiving and I’ve already been looking at FA targets for us for over a week. 😒 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Its largely the fact its a big market. Some of the endorsements can make up something like half their salary in them with these markets. Mot just players.  

Arguably you can say the bar has been set low too for the Giants since 2016 so they may feel the objectives will be easier to meet? Just thinking out loud. 

Kind of like the point about trying to follow Shanahan on DEN being a pain, this SHOULD theoretically be easier. 

Unless I would really like the draft pick slots, a few prospects for a key spot or two, and cap space I wouldn't want it compared to most opportunities though. I really don't like their roster. That being said I'd Jo at the chance to be a millionaire while being unqualified - Nagy did it and was paid VERY well. 😂

And I would counter that big market teams do very little in the way of endorsements for a HC unless he becomes a legend of sorts as Ditka has.  Is there a downtown eatery in Chicago called Trestman's?  Did Abe Gibron ever have a chop house or a rib joint?  Are there Lovie Smith style sweaters or cigars?

There is a fancy steak house in Denver called Elway's and at one time his name was on multiple auto dealerships but there is no Shanahan's or a Dan Reeve's Southern Style Chicken.  Ed McCaffery sells his own horseradish sauce and mustard at my local Safeway but there's no Josh McDaniel's New England Clam Chowder.

You and Mike imagine the same kind of fame and endorsements are showered on coaches as are showered on star players and it just ain't so.  Especially not when you're a loser and go out as a loser.  Will Matt Nagy's time as Bears HC help him should he decide to become a real estate broker on the North Shore?

Sorry guys, I think you've been misled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If ARob leaves I’d love to see us target Michael Gallup. He’s uber talented and has both size and speed, will be just 26, and he’s 3rd fiddle WR in Dallas behind Cooper and Lamb. I can’t see how they can justify paying him. L

Related - it totally blows that it’s just now Thanksgiving and I’ve already been looking at FA targets for us for over a week. 😒 

I am a huge fan of Gallup as well...especially if we go after Kellen Moore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...