2021 Around the League Thread

beardown3231

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Jaguars fired coach Urban Meyer. 

This had become the only possible outcome to the most disastrous NFL head-coaching stint in recent memory. The die was cast in Week 4, when Meyer made the legendarily selfish decision to skip the team flight home following a wrenching Thursday night loss in Cincinnati to party in his home state, getting caught on candid camera pathetically cavorting with a woman who was not his wife. Predictably hubristic in his first taste of the big leagues, Meyer was unpredictably completely overmatched, getting worse — far worse — as the season wore on and losing his locker room in real time. The Jags were averaging nine points over their past seven games, historically bad output. Meyer's golden goose No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence had totaled one touchdown in his past six starts, seeming overwhelmed on the field and embarrassed off of it. Lawrence — as well as his 52 teammates — had been put in the unacceptable position of continually having to answer for his head coach's foibles, both on and off the field. The situation was not tenable, least of all because Meyer seemed to have no clue what it took to win NFL football games. He committed the cardinal sin of turning his franchise into a laughingstock. This will undoubtedly be Meyer's final NFL job. The question becomes whether he will return to the college sidelines or retreat to the warm cocoon of television.

Had to happen 😂

Does Baalke go crawling back to Harbaugh to see if he can fix this mess? We've seen how we he has done without him. lol

Make up your damn mind on protocols. Showing up and making only 3 teams test?!? All so you can keep the game as scheduled to make money.

Not sure Mayfield is helping himself get that big money deal in Cleveland with some of the things he says in the media but he does have a point on this one.

Chargers were inside the 10 3x and came away with zero points in a game that went to overtime.

I don't care what analytics say.   4th and goal from the 6 - kick the field goal.  You can go for it from 1, because it is worth the extra points you may gain and you pin them on goal line if you don't.  But from the 6?   When you are ahead?  Crazy.  

Then they were up 7 in 4th quarter and they kicked the extra point against KC.

They should have gone for 2 then and tried going up 9.   KC would have kicked extra point to go to OT anyway if they scored.  If you go up 9 you make them have to drive twice and score in short time and you get the ball twice too to waste time and make them burn all time outs and be desperate.

Leaving them down 8 with all time outs makes them much more relaxed and gives them full playbook.

Terrible coaching in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Chargers were inside the 10 3x and came away with zero points in a game that went to overtime.

I don't care what analytics say.   4th and goal from the 6 - kick the field goal.  You can go for it from 1, because it is worth the extra points you may gain and you pin them on goal line if you don't.  But from the 6?   When you are ahead?  Crazy.  

Then they were up 7 in 4th quarter and they kicked the extra point against KC.

They should have gone for 2 then and tried going up 9.   KC would have kicked extra point to go to OT anyway if they scored.  If you go up 9 you make them have to drive twice and score in short time and you get the ball twice too to waste time and make them burn all time outs and be desperate.

Leaving them down 8 with all time outs makes them much more relaxed and gives them full playbook.

Terrible coaching in my opinion.

The Chargers and Brandon Staley have gone for it way too many times throughout the season…have faith in Herbert…he is excellent…but come on give him a chance…at times they are putting him in positions that are just unfair…

What I do find extremely ironic though is the fact that analytics which have been brought in to help situational football is quickly becoming the death of situational football for a lot of these teams…it’s not situational if your first thought is “what do the analytics say?” especially when everyone else is using the same metrics to analyse…there is 100% a place for analytics but it should never replace the feel a coach should have for the game and when to go for it…analytics will never be able to take so many things that make football interesting into account like momentum, form, injury, confidence…none of that can ever be calculated on an individual analytically level in real time and some coaches need to remember that.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

The Chargers and Brandon Staley have gone for it way too many times throughout the season…have faith in Herbert…he is excellent…but come on give him a chance…at times they are putting him in positions that are just unfair…

A coach putting his QB in terrible situations... sounds like he is a Bears coach at heart still.

Sorry we stained your career Staley.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

What I do find extremely ironic though is the fact that analytics which have been brought in to help situational football is quickly becoming the death of situational football for a lot of these teams…it’s not situational if your first thought is “what do the analytics say?” especially when everyone else is using the same metrics to analyse…there is 100% a place for analytics but it should never replace the feel a coach should have for the game and when to go for it…analytics will never be able to take so many things that make football interesting into account like momentum, form, injury, confidence…none of that can ever be calculated on an individual analytically level in real time and some coaches need to remember that.

The other problem is a lot of times Herbert throws a 120 mph fastball from 5 yards away and the receivers just can't catch it.

The other problem is maybe don't pass every time when you are 1st and goal from 4.

Play some smash mouth football.  It is okay to run 4 times in a row if need be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The other problem is a lot of times Herbert throws a 120 mph fastball from 5 yards away and the receivers just can't catch it.

The other problem is maybe don't pass every time when you are 1st and goal from 4.

Play some smash mouth football.  It is okay to run 4 times in a row if need be.

They did this and the RB fumbled the ball. 

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

What is happening with the Lions & Goff? 😂 doubt anyone saw this coming 🤯

Sometimes even Goff forgets he's Goff. lol

Really though when he had the guy shoved into his knee I thought he was done for the season. He was in a lot of pain but bounced back pretty quick. I wouldn't want him as my starting QB but I definitely respect the toughness.

Remember the offseason when people were claiming the Browns were the best and most talented team in the league? I do, because I remember getting flack for not buying into the hype and saying they were not even the 2nd best team in their own division behind the Ravens and Steelers.

• Like 1