2021 Around the League Thread

beardown3231

22 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Remember the offseason when people were claiming the Browns were the best and most talented team in the league? I do, because I remember getting flack for not buying into the hype and saying they were not even the 2nd best team in their own division behind the Ravens and Steelers.

They did have most talented team top to bottom when healthy.  I said it and I stand by it.  

Talent alone doesn’t win.  Football is complicated.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's a new one.  I like it.  The next time someone asks me why the Bears are so bad I'm just gonna say "football is complicated".

Because I have never elaborated.   All my posts can't be books.  Sorry.  I work too.  

Coaching and everything that goes with it matters a lot in football.   More than any other sport.  So does attitude, work ethic, character and team chemistry.  Position choices.   Player development.  Strategy.  Play calling.  Player Discipline.  Rewards.   Momentum of program and belief in winning.   

Complicated.   Talent is just one factor.   

Cleveland roster in August was probably most physically talented top to bottom in the league.  I stand by that opinion.  If we were doing a league wide draft a lot of their guys are going long before a lot of other teams guys - teams with better records.   

I made a case early this year that Bears and Patriots had comparable talent.   I stand by that too.   I obviously didn't think Bears and Patriots would do comparable things with comparable ingredients.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, dll2000 said:

Because I have never elaborated.   All my posts can't be books.  Sorry.  I work too.  

Coaching and everything that goes with it matters a lot in football.   More than any other sport.  So does attitude, work ethic, character and team chemistry.  Position choices.   Player development.  Strategy.  Play calling.  Player Discipline.  Rewards.   Momentum of program and belief in winning.   

Complicated.   Talent is just one factor.   

Cleveland roster in August was probably most physically talented top to bottom in the league.  I stand by that opinion.  If we were doing a league wide draft a lot of their guys are going long before a lot of other teams guys - teams with better records.   

I made a case early this year that Bears and Patriots had comparable talent.   I stand by that too.   I obviously didn't think Bears and Patriots would do comparable things with comparable ingredients.

I agree that coaching means alot but I think you're vastly overrating the roster for the reasons I already stated.  Especially on defense.

Who, exactly, on that roster is the most talented?

The defense was bad last year and they didn't do enough to make it good enough this year to carry a limited QB like Mayfield. The OL and RBs are good but the WRs were overrated (one is gone now), JOK is an inconsistent average TE, and Hooper was/is overrated --despite the Browns making him the highest paid TE in history. 

If the team was as talented as you think they are then they wouldn't be 4th in their division, despite having the 2nd easiest schedule (like I told the other posters), and wouldn't be 2-6 against .500+ teams. They are exactly what their record says they are. An average team.

But may have to have to agree to disagree here.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Fangio and Nagy going to be fired at same time looks like.   

When he got the job Fangio said he was going to emulate a lot of things Nagy did as HC.  

Let’s be honest - the coaching part of being HC is Nagy’s biggest failure. He clearly connects with the team on a very real level from a personal standpoint, which is key. They’re still playing hard for him even in a lost season. To that end, a lot of coaches would do well to be more like Nagy. 

Unfortunately for Nagy and the Bears, Nagy being Nagy per his philosophy left a very underwhelming offensive football coach stubbornly tied to a scheme that just doesn’t work, much to the extreme detriment to the team. There are talented players on this roster, but Nagy being Nagy hasn’t been able to figure out how to use them to the maximum of their abilities.

For the next HC, I hope his motto isn’t “Be You,” but rather “Be Adaptable.” I’d be okay with it if they left it off of the play card though. 

• Like 1