2021 Around the League Thread

beardown3231

On 1/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, WindyCity said:

I don’t know if Flores is really that hard to deal with, but the Miami media sure got the smear campaign going 

I’m not sure.  Maybe the fact that he had a problem with so many guys is he was trying to build and change a culture and that’s hard.  

But usually in my experience when everyone has a problem with you, the problem isn’t everybody else.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I’m not sure.  Maybe the fact that he had a problem with so many guys is he was trying to build and change a culture and that’s hard.  

But usually in my experience when everyone has a problem with you, the problem isn’t everybody else.

If you’re George, and this guy just got fired for being a pain in the *** despite moderate success with what looks (so far) like a miss at QB and pretty meh roster, why would you even take the chance when there are several candidates equally or more qualified? If the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze there, why would you think that’d be different here? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If you’re George, and this guy just got fired for being a pain in the *** despite moderate success with what looks (so far) like a miss at QB and pretty meh roster, why would you even take the chance when there are several candidates equally or more qualified? If the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze there, why would you think that’d be different here? 

Especially with George who is sensitive and easily offended.  It isn’t going to work even if he is a good coach. 

The reaction to Cowboys game LOL.  

Jerry Jones said it was most disappointed he has ever been.  He said ever.  He might fire McCarthy on this one.  He said the roster is stacked, not going to fire the GM we can guess.

I think blaming the refs emotional in this one.  I will say when a team gets screwed even if I don’t like the team and I am not one of those people who say you can’t blame refs.  Refs matter a lot.  Look at when they decided not to call offensive holding and scoring records were falling over the place.  And this year they I notice they are letting DBs contact WRs more downfield than they have in recent years and it is making a huge difference in other direction on games. 

That ref sprinted to football at end.  I have never ever seen a ref sprint to set a football.  I have seen them hustle, but he did his job and then some. Touching ball is the rule. 

Philly did get screwed on a lot of bad calls.  I think they lose regardless though.  

A lot of my facebook friends are Illinois based Cowboy fans.   

I feel like you should have some connection to a team to be their fan.

Like you live in the same area or one of your parents does.    

So many Steelers fans and Cowboys fans because they were good in 70s.

Probably tons of Patriots fans in their early 20s now all around country that will be annoying their friends for years to come.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The reaction to Cowboys game LOL.  

Jerry Jones said it was most disappointed he has ever been.  He said ever.  He might fire McCarthy on this one.  He said the roster is stacked, not going to fire the GM we can guess.

I think blaming the refs emotional in this one.  I will say when a team gets screwed even if I don’t like the team and I am not one of those people who say you can’t blame refs.  Refs matter a lot.  Look at when they decided not to call offensive holding and scoring records were falling over the place.  And this year they I notice they are letting DBs contact WRs more downfield than they have in recent years and it is making a huge difference in other direction on games. 

That ref sprinted to football at end.  I have never ever seen a ref sprint to set a football.  I have seen them hustle, but he did his job and then some. Touching ball is the rule. 

Philly did get screwed on a lot of bad calls.  I think they lose regardless though.  

0-E414-F44-06-E4-443-A-9636-DE55-F7826-E

Not mine but made me laugh and pretty on point IMO. Dak’s postgame presser blaming the refs for them losing a game in which he **** the bed almost the whole way is some serious loser ****.

If a Bears QB made the play Dak did with the clock expiring at the end of the game to end the season, would they EVER be forgiven by the fan base? No chance.

This was Dallas’ shot too - they’re already over the cap and have Gallup, Schultz, Vander Esch, Gregory and Ced Wilson all as pending UFA. They are stuck with at least $18M against the cap for Zeke regardless of whether or not he’s there another year ($18.2M cap hit if he’s on the team or if he’s a post-6/1 cut, and if he’s a pre-6/1 cut he leaves almost $12M in additional 2022 dead cap on top of that). They’d get some relief from trading him, but nobody’s trading for him on that deal unless they trade away a premium asset with him.

Ya hate to see it.

(Ya don’t hate to see it - I hate the Cowboys)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not mine but made me laugh and pretty on point IMO. Dak’s postgame presser blaming the refs for them losing a game in which he **** the bed almost the whole way is some serious loser ****.

If a Bears QB made the play Dak did with the clock expiring at the end of the game to end the season, would they EVER be forgiven by the fan base? No chance.

This was Dallas’ shot too - they’re already over the cap and have Gallup, Schultz, Vander Esch, Gregory and Ced Wilson all as pending UFA. They are stuck with at least $18M against the cap for Zeke regardless of whether or not he’s there another year ($18.2M cap hit if he’s on the team or if he’s a post-6/1 cut, and if he’s a pre-6/1 cut he leaves almost $12M in additional 2022 dead cap on top of that). They’d get some relief from trading him, but nobody’s trading for him on that deal unless they trade away a premium asset with him.

Ya hate to see it.

LOL.

On cap though I'll believe it when I see it.   Jerry will still keep everyone he wants.

I remember when everyone said Jerry is screwed.   He has to sign Lawrence, Cooper, Elliott and Prescott to big deals.   You can't resign or pay 4 top of market players, especially when one of those is going to be a mega deal with a QB.  

It's impossible to do that with the cap.   You have to pick and choose.

Well, they are all with Dallas.

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ya hate to see it.

Aside from Schultz those guys are all expendable anyway.

Vander Esch is a liability most of time even.

Wilson and Gallup are good, but they have two number 1 caliber WRs as it is.   Many teams don't have one of those (cough Bears).

Edited by dll2000
typo

Dallas biggest problem IMO is Dak and Elliot being disappointing when it counts the most and those are the leaders on that team.

Lamb, Cooper and Schultz are studs.     I mean swap Robinson, Mooney and Kmet for Lamb, Cooper and Schultz and Fields would be pretty happy with that.

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I remember when everyone said Jerry is screwed.   He has to sign Lawrence, Cooper, Elliott and Prescott to big deals.   You can't resign or pay 4 top of market players, especially when one of those is going to be a mega deal with a QB.  

It's impossible to do that with the cap.   You have to pick and choose.

Well, they are all with Dallas.

A lot of those deals were severely backloaded to make things work. Dak's extension, for example, cut his cap hit to 17M this season. That doubles next year to 34M if they do nothing with his contract.

You can get a short-term squeeze with the NFL cap rules. But after 1-2 years you face a very risky proposition and either start letting players walk or become the Saints with huge amounts of dead and void money.

23 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

A lot of those deals were severely backloaded to make things work. Dak's extension, for example, cut his cap hit to 17M this season. That doubles next year to 34M if they do nothing with his contract.

You can get a short-term squeeze with the NFL cap rules. But after 1-2 years you face a very risky proposition and either start letting players walk or become the Saints with huge amounts of dead and void money.

We'll see.   On paper they should have to cut Cooper as it saves 16 mil in cap and they are top heavy with giant contracts.   (That would be a great pick up by Bears btw IMO).

They can't cut Elliot like they wish they could because its costs them 12 mil.   I think Jerry regrets signing Dak and would like to cut him too TBH.   

The UFA are gone because they are mostly expendable. 

But if they somehow keep Cooper and resign either Schultz or Wilson in FA - you will know salary cap is mostly a myth and you can do virtually anything you want with it with a will to do so.

Edited by dll2000
typo

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But if they somehow keep Cooper and resign either Schultz or Wilson in FA - you will know salary cap is mostly a myth and you can do virtually anything you want with it with a will to do so.

It's not really a myth. It just doesn't work in the straightforward way you would hope. Teams can beat it for a few years and there are ways to extend that window. But you are eventually forced to rebuild. Saints are a good example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Dallas biggest problem IMO is Dak and Elliot being disappointing when it counts the most and those are the leaders on that team.

Lamb, Cooper and Schultz are studs.     I mean swap Robinson, Mooney and Kmet for Lamb, Cooper and Schultz and Fields would be pretty happy with that.

I’m less convinced Schultz is a stud vs. being in an ideal scenario where he’s never drawing extra attention. He’s good without question, but on a team that doesn’t have at least 2 stud WRs (I think Gallup is a stud too) is his production anywhere near what it is in Dallas? It at least gives me pause.

Play the swap game the other way and swap Schultz for Kmet, and Kmet is unquestionably putting up better stats in Dallas, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m less convinced Schultz is a stud vs. being in an ideal scenario where he’s never drawing extra attention. He’s good without question, but on a team that doesn’t have at least 2 stud WRs (I think Gallup is a stud too) is his production anywhere near what it is in Dallas? It at least gives me pause.

Play the swap game the other way and swap Schultz for Kmet, and Kmet is unquestionably putting up better stats in Dallas, right?

You make a good point, but I believe Schultz is faster and smoother than Kmet on grass.  I have no idea what their track speed is.    Kmet is more physical.  

I do wonder how Horstead would look in that situation (Dallas') and in that role.  I think we may never see the answer to that question.

I have always suspected he could succeed in it given the right opportunity and surrounding situation.