2021 Around the League Thread

beardown3231

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am not talking about past.  I am talking about now.

Lions have started accumulating legit talent and have a lot of picks this year to add more.  

Now Goff isn’t scary and they can still screw rest up, but it is getting harder for them to do so.    

Cleveland still somehow did it with even more so there is that.  Some of these teams are really good at screwing up.  

But Browns did manage to showcase a complete embarrassing beat down of Bears last year.  

You are talking about last year + DJ Chark. Chark isn't a great player who's going to help them to 3-4 more wins. The Lions blow.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

You are talking about last year + DJ Chark. Chark isn't a great player who's going to help them to 3-4 more wins. The Lions blow.

Sewell will be good this year.   Which means all 5 OL positions are good.  If healthy they are looking at having one of best OLs in league in 2022.

Their rookie St. Brown looked good last year and they added Chark to that.  Hockenson is underrated.  

If OL is good any RB is going to be good.

I think their defense was decimated by injury last year and that probably won't happen again.

Plus whatever they add in draft this year and they have a lot of premium picks.  Do a mock with Detroit versus Bears and see what you can get in comparison.

They aren't great, but they are on the come.

Man...you know things are bad when we're discussing whether or not we're better than the Lions.

QB: Bears
RB: Bears
TE: Lions
WR: Lions
OL: Lions
DEF: Bears

The Lions offense are good at OL and TE. WRs are solid with Brown and Chark but they could use another outside reciever and are severely lacking depth. RB needs improvement. Williams is a solid situational power back but Swift needs to step up and show that he can be the 3 down playmaker they drafted him to be. With a good OL and another year under coach Deuce he could break out this year. And he needs to because the Lions can't afford to go RB in the draft.

The defense still needs alot of work at almost every position; CB, EDGE, ILB, DL, S. They had injuries but not many were very meaningful losses. Okudah is looking more and more like a 1st rd bust simply because he can't stay healthy and his 2022 season isn't look good either while still recovering from a torn achilles, which usually take about a year to recover and even longer to get back into playing condition. The Brockers signing is looking like a bust.  Harris broke out with a bigger role and was solid at EDGE.  Both Okwara's show some promise when healthy--although one is also recovering from an achilles. Anzalone needs to be more consistent...he can go from really good to really bad, all in a matter of 1 play.  Elliot was a good FA signing at S if he can stay healthy.

While the Lions have alot more capital than the Bears do, they also have more holes to fill. All in all, I don't think the Bears are as bad as the Lions are, but I would bet both teams finish in the bottom 10.

37 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Man...you know things are bad when we're discussing whether or not we're better than the Lions.

Its like the Dalton barometer at QB, but for rebuilds. Lol

Right no now we are in full blown "pray-for-a-big-jump-in-2023. "  Im not excited about it but I'm giving Poles and Flubby a season to get their bearings. Maybe we will see enough bright spots to be optimistic about key parts of the team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Its like the Dalton barometer at QB, but for rebuilds. Lol

Right no now we are in full blown "pray-for-a-big-jump-in-2023. "  Im not excited about it but I'm giving Poles and Flubby a season to get their bearings. Maybe we will see enough bright spots to be optimistic about keep parts of the team. 

I hope so.  I just can't help but think how much this is slowly reminding me of the Trestman era in some ways. Emery took over when the defense was aging, then started replacing vets with 4th string talent, and instead of extending a bad QB with better talent, Poles has a high potential QB with little talent.

I just hope Poles don't end up with Bostic/Ego picks in the 2nd this year too because if he misses then this franchise will be set back a couple years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I hope so.  I just can't help but think how much this is slowly reminding me of the Trestman era in some ways. Emery took over when the defense was aging, then started replacing vets with 4th string talent, and instead of extending a bad QB with better talent, Poles has a high potential QB with little talent.

I just hope Poles don't end up with Bostic/Ego picks in the 2nd this year too because if he misses then this franchise will be set back a couple yea

I am not so sure the Lions have more holes than Bears.  They certainly have more draft tape to patch it.   My point is GB is better, MN is better on paper and I think people are underestimating where the Lions are going to be this season.

That being said Goff is still their QB and he seems to be determined to consistently underachieve. More so than Cousins who talent wise is actually an over achiever.   He just gets big contracts so people have expectations and are perpetually disappointed in big games.

Bears have way easier schedule this year on paper which will help, but they had such a huge vet talent drain it’s hard to see them being better than last year.  

I don’t think it was necessary or wise to strip team both as drastically as they did and also to skip FA to extent they did.   I think Mack was correct move at this time, but I think they should have calculatingly added 24 - 27 year old vet talent at need or key positions that can help team in next 3 years and build confidence in young QB for him and others.