Week 1 Observations

Just Want A Title

10 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I thought Sewell played well.  So well in fact that I’m going to propose a hypothetical.  Let say Decker is out 5 games and Sewell continues to play well and actually improves.  There are your three options:

1. Put Sewell back at RT and Decker slots back in at LT.

2. Keep Sewell at LT and try Decker at RT.

3. Keep Sewell at LT and see if you can get Laremy Tunsil type deal.  And if so would you settle for a 1 and 2?

If Sewell continues to improve, its not impossible that the Lions would trade Taylor Decker.  RTs are generally easier to find and develop.  It would be nice if the Lions got something good (and relatively young) player at a position of need as a part of the deal even if that lowers the draft compensation a little bit.  

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

If Sewell continues to improve, its not impossible that the Lions would trade Taylor Decker.  RTs are generally easier to find and develop.  It would be nice if the Lions got something good (and relatively young) player at a position of need as a part of the deal even if that lowers the draft compensation a little bit.  

With the extension, the dead cap from moving Decker would crush us this year (24M).  Next year it would drop to only 12M (net of -5M against the cap) but even then, thats a lot to pay an OT to not play here. we have 49M in dead cap this year, we dont need to start out wasting that much next year. 

My guess is if Sewell shows to be a LT for sure, then we move Decker to RT at least for this year and likely next.  After that we can move on from him if needed but he is here for a while IMO.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

With the extension, the dead cap from moving Decker would crush us this year (24M).  Next year it would drop to only 12M (net of -5M against the cap) but even then, thats a lot to pay an OT to not play here. we have 49M in dead cap this year, we dont need to start out wasting that much next year. 

My guess is if Sewell shows to be a LT for sure, then we move Decker to RT at least for this year and likely next.  After that we can move on from him if needed but he is here for a while IMO.  

Oh yeah - I don't see any reason to trade Decker. Holmes/Campbell clearly want the line to be a strength on both sides of the ball - especially if they're going to be drafting a rookie QB in the next two years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I guess it’s just nice not saying SOL. While the results were similar there was actually some fight. Didn’t fold and look soft.

That was a positive 

This was my biggest take away.  We looked competitive for a while.  Goff was shaky and that is expected with our crap WR corps. The play-calling was better and the fight was better. 

The defense was disappointing IMO.  I liked what I saw early from the D line but we seemed to give up a lot of big plays.  I liked our line play for the most part but we have such a bad LB, CB and S group that the D line can't do much when so many are left wide open.