Post Game Thoughts- Bengals.

cconocool

Considering how many penalties the team had, it was a surprisingly close game. 
The defense did well, but I was anticipating Breeland would be the weakest link in the secondary.

The OL redefined stink in the first half, but adapted well in the second.

Jefferson was kept in check, but there plenty of grabs for Osborne as a third WR. Thielen was clutch as usual.

I actually missed Barr. I thought he would be a detriment to the team to year, but the Bengals gashed us in the Tackle-TE area as mentioned in the broadcast.

Special teams played well.

I think the OL gets severely reprimanded and gets their act together for the next game, but Kyler Murray will pose an interesting test for Zimmer. Hopefully, Barr will be able to come back and make a difference.

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

They were not ready but 1 game does not make a season. Hopefully Darrisaw is ready sooner than later. 

The special teams looked much improved and it was nice to see Osborn have a good day as the #3

Did anyone think they'd lose? Anyone? Terrible job by the coaches, which is not shocking. 

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Did anyone think they'd lose? Anyone? Terrible job by the coaches, which is not shocking. 

I don't think anyone thought they would but weird things happen week 1.

Anyone know how much the Bengals starters played in preseason? I agree that they were much more prepared

For me the story of the game was the o-line. I don't know how it's is going to hold up against better front-7s. The penalties were obviously the most glaring part of it and every lineman had a few. Sometimes Cousins held the ball too long so that's part of it, but the pass rush was overwhelming and several times Cousins had to unload the ball instantly just to avoid disaster.

Cleveland was getting shoved around as if he was Dru Samia and looked like he doesn't belong on the inside. We already knew Hill could be a liability against Hendrickson, but what on earth was that? Really nobody was pass-blocking or run-blocking well. On one play either Bradberry or Cleveland let a lineman run free to Cook the second he touched the ball on a broken assignment. O'Neal and Hill seemed to have problems just lining up properly. Udoh was false starting and was quickly worked out of a block that led to Cousins eating it.

The second half went better but there were still key false starts and illegal formations that killed drives.

-------

Defense -- Why was Chase being guarded by Breeland with no safety help at the end of the 1st half? Breeland isn't that fast, and we saw what happens when he doesn't get help trying to guard a speed receiver without safety help (Hill) in the pre-season.

That was not a fumble by Cook. I don't know how that call wasn't overturned upon review. I've never seen a fumble called when a guy's butt was on the ground with the ball in his hand prior to today.

Yes this team was at fault for the loss though.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

We are who we thought we are, and we let ourselves off the hook!

That game was more so the Vikings beating themselves than Cincy being the better team.

I think these teams are basically equals heading in opposite directions. The big difference in this game was that it was in Cincinnati and that seemed to have a huge impact on the OL early on.

• Like 1

Game one gitters?  It is happening to alot of teams.  Mostly I see alot of droped passes by recivers all over the leauge.  No one is in mid season form right now.  Look at Karen Rogers with the Pack.  It's a long season and even longer now(thats what she said) with 17 games this year.  

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

The players can't execute. They aren't good enough to be out there. Cleveland, Bradbury and Hill are flat out bad. O'Neill didn't play well in pass pro towards the end of the game. Coaching isn't fixing the lack of talent.

Which team has more talent? If you think this, you must want the front office gone by now....