Post Game Thoughts- Bengals.

cconocool

Draft picks are like gold when rebuilding. When you have a championship caliber team, treating them like Seattle and KC has treated them lately is a reasonable thing to do.

I personally think that the Vikings are closer to the point right now where draft picks are like gold.  However, the team first needs to get a new GM IMO.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, vikesfan89 said:

It depends on the return.  If I was a new gm I would want to get some more early draft picks. 

Why trade away an Adam Thielen (or a Randy Moss, har har) for a Troy Williamson? Dalvin Cook for a Leonard Fournette? Because it is more likely that those draft picks you get in return are going to suck than them being even average. Give me the players I know are good. Its just not a smart idea. The only way I would consider it is if the offer was so substantial that we would be blatant idiots to turn it down.

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Why trade away an Adam Thielen (or a Randy Moss, har har) for a Troy Williamson? Dalvin Cook for a Leonard Fournette? Because it is more likely that those draft picks you get in return are going to suck than them being even average. Give me the players I know are good. Its just not a smart idea. The only way I would consider it is if the offer was so substantial that we would be blatant idiots to turn it down.

It only makes sense if you’re in salary cap hell. The Vikes aren’t once they rid themselves of Cousins and Barr.

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

What about Percy Harvin for Xavier Rhodes?

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That was probably a fluke, just like getting Justin Jefferson after trading Diggs.  The opposite happens far more frequently than the hits.  

How many good players has Rick traded away?  It doesn't seem like that many so it's seems crazy that 2 of them would be flukes.  It seems like he does a lot better trading away players than trading for them

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How many good players has Rick traded away?  It doesn't seem like that many so it's seems crazy that 2 of them would be flukes.  It seems like he does a lot better trading away players than trading for them

That's kinda the point, Rick doesn't trade them, yet people are suggesting that a new GM should do that in order to get draft picks.  Rick only makes those trades when it's clear that the player wants out.  

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

What about Percy Harvin for Xavier Rhodes?

Yeah, you mean a total fluke? That pick could have easily been Shariff Floyd or Cordarrelle Patterson. Diggs for JJ is one that actually worked out.

Jalen Ramsey was traded for multiple picks, and one turned out to be K'lavon Chaisson, who has been a total and utter bust so far. Khalil Mack was traded for a haul of picks, and those picks became Josh Jacobs, Damon Arnette, and Bryan Edwards. Amari Cooper became Johnathan Abram. Minkah Fitzpatrick became Austin Jackson. This is just a few that I looked up, and every one of those teams who traded a legit, established player lost the trade. 

3 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Yeah, you mean a total fluke? That pick could have easily been Shariff Floyd or Cordarrelle Patterson. Diggs for JJ is one that actually worked out.

Jalen Ramsey was traded for multiple picks, and one turned out to be K'lavon Chaisson, who has been a total and utter bust so far. Khalil Mack was traded for a haul of picks, and those picks became Josh Jacobs, Damon Arnette, and Bryan Edwards. Amari Cooper became Johnathan Abram. Minkah Fitzpatrick became Austin Jackson. This is just a few that I looked up, and every one of those teams who traded a legit, established player lost the trade. 

which is why if I was a GM, I'd be trading picks for players.....

10 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Absolutely. I am 100% with you on that. The only exception for me is trying to save and use picks as ammo to move up for a franchise QB.

Somehow the Vikings will either need to earn or trade up into the top 5 picks for getting a franchise quarterback.  Even then, it's about a 50/50 shot that the pick will actually not be a bust.  Which is why I want someone other than Spielman to make the choice, and a very different coaching staff to give the pick the best opportunity to succeed.

Edited by Guest

I dont think this team is THAT far off from being a contender, I do think we need to move on from Zim his message just doesnt seem to be getting across to the players and it doesnt seem like hes adapting either, Spielman im still iffy on as a GM I think hes a good GM just needs to learn how to draft OL or find a coach who can develop them well. Hes also been in some tough spots as a GM like losing 2 gloves when we had a legit SB winning roster. Get an offensive minded HC like Joe Brady and this team will make vast improvements on offense and can compete with any offense in the league imo, I feel like Brady can put his players into a position to succeed and attack defeneses weaknesses, We have pieces to build upon Kendricks, Danielle, Wonnum (Potentially), JJ, Cook, Irv Smith, Thielen (although hes getting a little older), Oneill, Davis, and Darrisaw and hopefully one or 2 of our CBs can develop.

Im not a fan of Kirk at all but would like to see him and how he does with someone like Joe Brady, Maybe he can put help him and put him over the top

17 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

which is why if I was a GM, I'd be trading picks for players.....

You also have scenarios where the Bears traded for guys like Jay Cutler and Kalil Mack.

Ramsey didn't put LA over the top.

Proven commodities don't always work out either.

I will always air on the side of blue chip talent. Especially now that they are cost controlled in the 1st round.

Edited by twslhs20

3 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I dont think this team is THAT far off from being a contender, I do think we need to move on from Zim his message just doesnt seem to be getting across to the players and it doesnt seem like hes adapting either, Spielman im still iffy on as a GM I think hes a good GM just needs to learn how to draft OL or find a coach who can develop them well. Hes also been in some tough spots as a GM like losing 2 gloves when we had a legit SB winning roster. Get an offensive minded HC like Joe Brady and this team will make vast improvements on offense and can compete with any offense in the league imo, I feel like Brady can put his players into a position to succeed and attack defeneses weaknesses, We have pieces to build upon Kendricks, Danielle, Wonnum (Potentially), JJ, Cook, Irv Smith, Thielen (although hes getting a little older), Oneill, Davis, and Darrisaw and hopefully one or 2 of our CBs can develop.

Im not a fan of Kirk at all but would like to see him and how he does with someone like Joe Brady, Maybe he can put help him and put him over the top

Kirk is what he is. You can't improve him. He's not going to win you games. He needs a star studded cast around him to make him playoff effective. We can't do that with his contract.

He is a poor man's Baker.