Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I would say not always crumbles, but we have all seen him abandon any kind of scheme and try to make things happen. The thing is, he has produced some magic as well as escaped with some Houdini slipperiness to make an off balance throw look like a work of art. He can’t rely on that and has seemed to be bought in with LaFluer’s offense which should take some of the need for heroics out of the equation.  Today that offense was outplayed and out schemed. Credit to NO for bringing the heat but we were objectively bad even against a quality opponent. We have started fast the past few years, but remember some of those wins were razor thin. Game one down with a lot of work to do before Monday night. 

His mobility in and around the pocket has always made him the hall of fame player he is and when he is allowed to use that a handful of times a game it is lethal within the framework of the offense. My issues with him come when he’s really feeling the heat and senses pressure that isn’t even there yet. When he’s pressured down after down the way we seen today, those hero plays just don’t happen.

Just now, Refugee said:

As noted before, any loss or off day will be put under the microscope. Always will be for any QB, but after the off season soap opera, he has intensified the focus on himself and the front office. I think he’ll respond well as he always has when people doubt him. (Well on the field, I have no idea what dark corners of his psyche he goes into)

The *entire team* played badly. This fixation on Rodgers is being over dramatized by fans buying into (and heightening) the drama in order to vent.

He had a bad game. He wasnt alone.

It's the first of 17 games. The sky has not fallen yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Gee. Who could have guessed that a recap thread about a single loss would turn into an in depth psychoanalysis of Rodgers. My goodness.

He deserves the critique. For the 1st time in his career he skipped all off-season work with the team and his teammates, and it showed. As soon as things went south he put on his sullen disinterested face.

This year his idea of leadership became tweeting about "last dance" bull**** and posting pictures of playing in Hawaii while most players were working.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

The *entire team* played badly. This fixation on Rodgers is being over dramatized by fans buying into (and heightening) the drama in order to vent.

He had a bad game. He wasnt alone.

It's the first of 17 games. The sky has not fallen yet.

Of course, but wouldn’t you agree that the QB in general takes much of the glory and so should also take much of the blame?  It’s not fair or rational but it’s nothing new. Back to work this week, he has plenty of chances to silence the critics coming right up. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BAM said:

He deserves the critique. For the 1st time in his career he skipped all off-season work with the team and his teammates, and it showed. As soon as things went south he put on his sullen disinterested face.

This year his idea of leadership became tweeting about "last dance" bull**** and posting pictures of playing in Hawaii while most players were working.

Yes - he deserves the criticism - no doubt. He played like ****. However, EVERYBODY else played like **** too!
I mean.....they simply didnt come out to play a regular season game today. Nobody did. Far as I could see, they all sucked - be it individually or collectively - NOTHING was getting done.

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Prophecy.

He’s so obsessed with losing to Brady last year that he not only got an old friend to play with him again, but also enacted his desire to lose the first game the same way. If only he spent his off-season like Brady does instead of staring at his own anus with a hand mirror. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This.

If I had a nickel for every time I've read some version of Rodgers-excusing that rhymes with "well, we shouldn't need to have him play THAT well every game!" But, very literally, we do, because that's how the salary cap works.

whole team needs to play better than that.

Poor showing and poor effort.

this team would be lucky to get to 3-3 by the time bakh gets back to the field.  If he's back week 7, they can make a run in the last 10 games, go 7-4 or so and get in the playoffs.

next 4-5 weeks are gonna look tough against any decent opponent.  Lot of change on the defensive side, and a lot of change on the OL

3 hours ago, Brad gluckman said:

What bothers me is Rodgers in his post game press conference said the Saints played a lot of 2-show and the Packers didnt have an answer for it. We've seen this under LaFleur, where if his gameplan isnt working there is just a blowout. There are no adjustments, or ag least no adjustments that work.

Rodgers has been destroyed by 2 shell for a decade now. This was a problem under McCarthy too. He’s never solved it and the excuse is always “they couldn’t get a run game going”

Here’s something: anyone else tired of Rodgers essentially needing his WRs to be wide open? Granted Jameis was playing against a pathetic defense, but I can’t tell you how many times I saw him throw it with what appeared to be anticipation that his WR would make a play. Rodgers just doesn’t throw it unless it’s there. 

One play where Troy brought up the replay and said “no one was open” - MVS broke open on a route toward the sideline IF Rodgers throws it before the break. I would bet there were a dozen plays like this. He ignored an open Cobb at least once that I can remember 

• Like 2

Zach Kruse -   I'm thinking about this loss and I'm reminded a little bit of Week 1 in 2014. The Seahawks beat the hell out of the Packers in that game. Final score wasn't as bad as 38-3 but it was a beatdown. That team had some things to work out early before it got hot. 2021 could be similar.