Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

4 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

Maybe I'm desperate, but I would start Nijman, Jenkins, Myers, Newman and Turner.  The offensive line was not terrible...not great either. 

I'm more concerned about the defensive line and just the defense in general.  That was a very flat performance.  If this type of performance continues for the 1st 4 weeks of the season, they need to consider firing Barry.  He's trying to install the Rams defense, but he does not have the players up front the Rams had.  He has to consider that when putting together a scheme.

Definitely need to solidify the IOL. I'd move Jenkins back to LG and try Nijman at LT. Turner to RG and Kelly at RT. I've never been a Patrick fan.

• Like 1

Man I gotta admit, I forget how virulent the despair gets after a walloping like that.  Don't have much to add until the All-22 comes out (assuming it does, given the issues apparently happening with it), but this felt a lot like a classic Rodgers hero-ball game.  Give up on the run immediately, run tons of empty set/11 personnel (81% 11 personnel if Ben Fennell's numbers are correct - gag), hold the ball forever looking for shot plays then spread the blame around post-game when it goes wrong.  This team has some issues, but unless Rodgers returns to playing in structure none of it matters.  There's zero chance at a playoff run when Rodgers gets like this.  All the memes about him returning to sabotage the Packers' season are missing the much sadder story playing out: this was Rodgers being overly sensitive to all the talk and trying to superman the team to a win.  As soon as I saw that first 4th and 1 play I knew we were in trouble; Rodgers loves going to those empty set, "let me find a match-up and win it with my arm" type plays when he's feeling the need to make it way harder than it needs to be. 

• Like 6

Structure and game plan went out the window when they realized the defense couldn't get off the field and gave up points on every drive. Back to back 15 play drives that end up in points and eat up 18:00 minutes tends to do that. It's not like we haven't seen this before

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Structure and game plan went out the window when they realized the defense couldn't get off the field and gave up points on every drive. Back to back 15 play drives that end up in points and eat up 18:00 minutes tends to do that.

Structure and game plan were out the window on the first Packers drive.  Rodgers holding the ball and not hitting the wiiiiiiide open Jones on 3rd and 7 on their first drive was the flashing warning light that proved more and more valid each drive.  The Packers get the ball down 0-3, and go 2 runs, 5 passes, and punt.  Their next drive they get the ball down ten, run twice for 12 yards and a 1st down, then pass three times for net -4 yards and punt.  Their next drive is the two minute drill, then they get the ball to start the third, down 14 - they go 2 runs, 10 passes and Rodgers throws a pick.

Rodgers wanted the ball in his hands, he got it, and he did absolutely nothing with it. 

• Like 4

Andy Herman Retweeted
Ben Fennell
@BenFennell_NFL

Packers 46/57 plays in 11-Personnel... Wonderful.
...do I now need to see what games in 2019-2020 did they ever use over 80% 11p under LaFleur? I'm not sure it exists

I wondered if this was true. But sure enough, TE's had a total of 67 snaps on 57 plays. No wonder they had trouble running the ball. No wonder it didn't really look like the Lafleur offense.

3 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Structure and game plan were out the window on the first Packers drive.  Rodgers holding the ball and not hitting the wiiiiiiide open Jones on 3rd and 7 on their first drive was the flashing warning light that proved more and more valid each drive.  The Packers get the ball down 0-3, and go 2 runs, 5 passes, and punt.  Their next drive they get the ball down ten, run twice for 12 yards and a 1st down, then pass three times for net -4 yards and punt.  Their next drive is the two minute drill, then they get the ball to start the third, down 14 - they go 2 runs, 10 passes and Rodgers throws a pick.

Rodgers wanted the ball in his hands, he got it, and he did absolutely nothing with it. 

I guess that depends if he was calling the plays or changing them. I assume MLF still calls the plays

Edited by cannondale

49 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I am very curious if he's honest with himself at least. I'm not convinced he is. He might actually believe it's everyone else's fault they weren't getting open "enough" for his hero ball throws.

7 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

I remember these plays live and just didn't understand what Rodgers was trying to do.

That was an Easy first to A. Jones and the 2nd play at least Tonyan get a chance to create something.

He seemed to really want to show off MVS and Adams. Problem is every ball he through to MVS wasn't catchable and Adams looked like he gave up by the 2nd quarter. 

58 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I wondered if this was true. But sure enough, TE's had a total of 67 snaps on 57 plays. No wonder they had trouble running the ball. No wonder it didn't really look like the Lafleur offense.

After we turned it over onto start the 2nd and NO scored, again,  we had to go into air raid mode. We were not ready. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

He seemed to really want to show off MVS and Adams. Problem is every ball he through to MVS wasn't catchable and Adams looked like he gave up by the 2nd quarter. 

Yeah, it seemed like Rodgers was determined to use week 1 as a showcase for how much MVS has improved.  By trying to force the issue, it kind of had the opposite effect.  MVS can be a fine complimentary player, but he's not someone you should be forcing the ball to.

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, it seemed like Rodgers was determined to use week 1 as a showcase for how much MVS has improved.  By trying to force the issue, it kind of had the opposite effect.  MVS can be a fine complimentary player, but he's not someone you should be forcing the ball to.

I mean MVS is a big lengthy target. Throw it up over a smaller corner and let him win that fight but none of the balls were even particularly close.... way overthrown for the most part.

4 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Man I gotta admit, I forget how virulent the despair gets after a walloping like that.  Don't have much to add until the All-22 comes out (assuming it does, given the issues apparently happening with it), but this felt a lot like a classic Rodgers hero-ball game.  Give up on the run immediately, run tons of empty set/11 personnel (81% 11 personnel if Ben Fennell's numbers are correct - gag), hold the ball forever looking for shot plays then spread the blame around post-game when it goes wrong.  This team has some issues, but unless Rodgers returns to playing in structure none of it matters.  There's zero chance at a playoff run when Rodgers gets like this.  All the memes about him returning to sabotage the Packers' season are missing the much sadder story playing out: this was Rodgers being overly sensitive to all the talk and trying to superman the team to a win.  As soon as I saw that first 4th and 1 play I knew we were in trouble; Rodgers loves going to those empty set, "let me find a match-up and win it with my arm" type plays when he's feeling the need to make it way harder than it needs to be. 

So what you're admitting is that it's "Rodgers or bust" for this team to have literally any success whatsoever. Doesn't this only highlight the even deeper issue that has plagued the Green Bay Packers for over a decade now? When Rodgers plays like he did Sunday, we don't just lose, we literally get wiped right off the NFL map. We get embarrassed. Why is that? Why haven't we seen a legitimate case in years where Rodgers plays below average BUT our defense keeps us in the game... Imagine having that luxury. Imagine our offense sucking up the field in the first half against the Saints, except we go into the half down 7-3 or 10-3 instead of 17-3 because our defense made a stop. Imagine our offense getting 4-5 possessions in the first half because our defense forced a 3-out or two instead of giving up a RECORD back-to-back 15-play scoring drives which literally drained 2/3 of the game clock in the first half. Maybe Rodgers sucks on those extra 2 drives as well, or maybe we score on one of them and it's 10-10 at half. 

See, at the end of the day, we all know 12 is going to play better. In fact, he can probably only go up from this performance considering how lousy it was. But can we say the same about our defense? Or do we just have to resign ourselves to the fact that if we want to beat a good team, we need Rodgers and co. to put up at least 35+ in order to squeeze out the W?