Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

We played Garvin wayyyy too much, where they concerned about Preston because of his head injury? Or was that just Z's injury trickling down?

Think it was just the heat.  They rotated a lot and early on defense, which would indicate to me they were trying to keep guys fresh for the second half.  Z being injured also didn't help. 

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Game speed is so hard to mimic in TC and preseason- but doing nothing in August didn't help the effort at all. Rodgers talked about why he liked the joint practices -  where everything is controlled and you work with the opponents on looks and packages etc. That's not game speed football.  He seemed to be a day late on everything vs NO. So instead of staying in rhythm and helping the OL, he hindered their efforts and made it harder on everybody

Yeah, there's absolutely the look of some of that.  I do worry about the sheer number of 11 personnel calls and his return to eschewing checkdowns and underneath targets unless absolutely forced to go there.  Could just be rust and being slow through his reads, but 2020 is at this point the clear outlier in the last five years or so in terms of playing within scheme.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Looks like he's looking well down field there in the first shot. Nothing exactly wrong with that though

It's actually worse than that.  He's not just looking downfield, he's looking at Adams who does indeed come open.  They're running a double mesh concept: two deep crossers, two shallow crossers, go route on the boundary to the wide side of the field.  You're just trying to lose someone in coverage as they all cross, with the go route taking his defender out of the play to create more space.  Both Jones and Adams lose their defenders pretty much like you'd draw it up, but Rodgers freezes up.  Adams should actually be the target here, as there's plenty of room for a guy with Aaron's arm to drop this in as he crosses.  This isn't a tight window throw; as you can see from this terrible screen shot, they're both running with separation to the sideline:

Screenshot-20210915-161515

Rodgers is pretty clearly looking at Adams from the endzone view, but for some reason he hesitates, hesitates some more, and finally throws it to Jones.  Only Rodgers knows why he didn't throw it to Adams, or why he didn't hit Jones sooner if he felt uncomfortable making the tougher throw downfield.  But there's no pressure and both guys are wide open on a concept that doesn't leave a lot of room for deep thinking.  Whatever his reason, this is a bad look on a day that didn't get better.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

It's actually worse than that.  He's not just looking downfield, he's looking at Adams who does indeed come open.  They're running a double mesh concept: two deep crossers, two shallow crossers, go route on the boundary to the wide side of the field.  You're just trying to lose someone in coverage as they all cross, with the go route taking his defender out of the play to create more space.  Both Jones and Adams lose their defenders pretty much like you'd draw it up, but Rodgers freezes up.  Adams should actually be the target here, as there's plenty of room for a guy with Aaron's arm to drop this in as he crosses.  This isn't a tight window throw; as you can see from this terrible screen shot, they're both running with separation to the sideline:

Rodgers is pretty clearly looking at Adams from the endzone view, but for some reason he hesitates, hesitates some more, and finally throws it to Jones.  Only Rodgers knows why he didn't throw it to Adams, or why he didn't hit Jones sooner if he felt uncomfortable making the tougher throw downfield.  But there's no pressure and both guys are wide open on a concept that doesn't leave a lot of room for deep thinking.  Whatever his reason, this is a bad look on a day that didn't get better.

How dare you?  Aaron Rodgers cured cancer and built the pyramids!!!  Tyler Lancaster and Jarrett Bush threw that INT.  Rodgers was just about to invent the lightbulb too before they came in and ruined it!  AJ HAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7
3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

What I want to know is, doesn’t this stuff come up in the film room? 90% of the time Rodgers is lights out. But in these games where they get blown out and he looks like schit, do you think anyone dares point out that he’s routinely passing on open guys? 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

What I want to know is, doesn’t this stuff come up in the film room? 90% of the time Rodgers is lights out. But in these games where they get blown out and he looks like schit, do you think anyone dares point out that he’s routinely passing on open guys? 

I’m sure coaches do point it out.  But probably in a way so as to not injure Rodger’s fragile ego.  Maybe I’m wrong - I’ve no clue since I’m not in those meetings, obviously.

In my dreams at night, I picture Rodgers sitting in a room with the entire team while he gets his arse chewed out for missing wide open receivers.  Helps me sleep at night.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah but Joe Buck told me nobody was open all day and the broadcast and he is incapable of lying 

Seriously, good stuff there, thanks. This is stuff I swear I see live all the time too but I'm never quite sure

Good thing is that the media have really gone after Rodgers for that stinker and we all know he hears and reads every word. Hopefully he takes note and it lights a fire under him. I feel if he stays within the scheme, doesn't always go for the big shot down the field, play it a little slow and methodical then sprinkle some big play action, we will be balanced and win or at least play good on offence.

14 hours ago, Isherwood said:

This is what got Carson Wentz in trouble in Philly. He was too obsessed with the long ball that he didn't take the gimme that would have gotten the offense a first down and instead, went for the deep ball every time.

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Good thing is that the media have really gone after Rodgers for that stinker and we all know he hears and reads every word. Hopefully he takes note and it lights a fire under him. I feel if he stays within the scheme, doesn't always go for the big shot down the field, play it a little slow and methodical then sprinkle some big play action, we will be balanced and win or at least play good on offence.

He's got "nothing left to prove"

2 hours ago, Joe said:

This is what got Carson Wentz in trouble in Philly. He was too obsessed with the long ball that he didn't take the gimme that would have gotten the offense a first down and instead, went for the deep ball every time.

I'm not gonna defend Wentz play other than to say that prior to the serious injuries he had, he was playing at an MVP level - and after the serious injuries he had, the Philly OL disintegrated.

He didnt like getting hit - few QBs returning from knee surgery do - his play suffered and Philly pulled a "pre-Love" and drafted Hurts. Wentz responded similar to somebody else we know only he didnt have the team around him to chase another MVP.  

56 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

He's got "nothing left to prove"

I hate when players start talking like that ... Favre started doing that back in the day before getting shipped out of town.  Rodgers will be getting shipped after the season, so I guess he's just following in Brett's footsteps.

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not gonna defend Wentz play other than to say that prior to the serious injuries he had, he was playing at an MVP level - and after the serious injuries he had, the Philly OL disintegrated.

He didnt like getting hit - few QBs returning from knee surgery do - his play suffered and Philly pulled a "pre-Love" and drafted Hurts. Wentz responded similar to somebody else we know only he didnt have the team around him to chase another MVP.  

Injuries aside, he took way too many sacks because he was trying to go deep on virtually every passing play. The local guys here on WIP absolutely roasted him for it week-in-and-week-out last season.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:06 PM, Shanedorf said:

Game speed is so hard to mimic in TC and preseason- but doing nothing in August didn't help the effort at all. Rodgers talked about why he liked the joint practices -  where everything is controlled and you work with the opponents on looks and packages etc. That's not game speed football.  He seemed to be a day late on everything vs NO. So instead of staying in rhythm and helping the OL, he hindered their efforts and made it harder on everybody

This.

But expand to the rest of the team.

I think there was a lot of complacency that the veterans could just turn up day one and be back to the game speed. Rodgers in particular it seems but its spread to everyone thinking they don't need OTAs, nobody needs to play pre-season and so on. 

There is a lot of very lazy analysis on Rodgers, the reality is everyone played slow, everyone looked like they weren't ready. Rodgers is the highlight as he is the guy in the spotlight but it was exactly the same for pretty much everyone. The entire team looked short of game speed. Everyone. 

Maybe its a case of 2+2 = 22,  we don't know what really is the case . Maybe its a co-incidence. But you can only go with what you see.

Rodgers fiasco hasn't helped as it may have created the whole, we don't need the pre-season or camps attitude.