Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

2 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

I don't know that everything else was as bad as Rodgers today. The defensive playcalling and rush defense for sure. But this was arguably one of, if not THE worst game by Rodgers. I thought special teams was good for the most part, and there were a few players who looked like they showed up. 

But yea, bad game all around. You just don't expect it that bad from #12. Couple that with all the drama this off season and it is perfectly normal for some fans to be sick of the dude and take shots at him. And they are going to be "in the right" so to speak until the next game where (or when) Rodgers plays well. It is what it is.

Rodgers was horrendous in the second half. There is no arguing that and if he plays like this again I will admit I was wrong in giving him so much slack in all of this. However this doesn't change the fact that he wasn't given much of any chance in the first half to get going. You can't expect any offense to finally get a chance to start playing at length in the 3rd quarter and look good. 

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Rodgers was horrendous in the second half. There is no arguing that and if he plays like this again I will admit I was wrong in giving him so much slack in all of this. However this doesn't change the fact that he wasn't given much of any chance in the first half to get going. You can't expect any offense to finally get a chance to start playing at length in the 3rd quarter and look good. 

I didn't know 3x MVPs need to be given a chance to get going.  Nobody told Winston who managed to get going early and often.

4 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Agree to disagree on the first half! I think he had opportunities in the first half that he normally takes, but didn't today. Again, he isn't the sole reason they lost, but he sure played a large part. MVPs/guys eating up a team's salary cap/player who create drama can't do that and not expect some of the blame from fans, and in today's case rightly so.

If he comes out and rocks the next game then we will see how short fan's memories are or how unjustly they may or may not be hating on Rodgers. But for at least today they have the high ground.

Just now, thrILL! said:

I didn't know 3x MVPs need to be given a chance to get going.  Nobody told Winston who managed to get going early and often.

Winston had a run game that was dominating, which makes it VERY easy on the QB. Not taking away anything from him because he made some great throws, but its not apples to apples.

• Like 2

He could have absolutely gotten more out of those first 2 possessions than he did. However he was given zero margin for error and because we didn't generate points in those two possessions we faced a 3 possession deficit before the 2nd 30 minutes. All of this sounds like excuses and I get it a league MVP shouldn't need that, but how can you look at that scenario and not think he is being dealt a **** hand. That's all I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, Brad gluckman said:

Winston had a run game that was dominating, which makes it VERY easy on the QB. Not taking away anything from him because he made some great throws, but its not apples to apples.

No, but would you say Winston is the same as Rodmaking? talent and decision making? Should we lower our expectations to match Winston's expected level? 

No. Rodgers is the better QB. Which makes a clunker like today stand out more. Couple that with the horrible off season and you get upset fans. It is what it is. Let's see how Rodgers responds next game. 

2 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

No, but would you say Winston is the same as Rodmaking? talent and decision making? Should we lower our expectations to match Winston's expected level? 

No. Rodgers is the better QB. Which makes a clunker like today stand out more. Couple that with the horrible off season and you get upset fans. It is what it is. Let's see how Rodgers responds next game. 

How do you think Aaron would have looked today if his running game was pulling over 5 per carry and he had over 5 seconds of time per pass in protection? To act like what he faced today defensively was anywhere close to what Jameis did is just disingenuous

Edited by Rodjahs12

4 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

He could have absolutely gotten more out of those first 2 possessions than he did. However he was given zero margin for error and because we didn't generate points in those two possessions we faced a 3 possession deficit before the 2nd 30 minutes. All of this sounds like excuses and I get it a league MVP shouldn't need that, but how can you look at that scenario and not think he is being dealt a **** hand. That's all I'm saying.

Dude gets paid to overcome shifty hands. I did not feel sorry for him in the game, it is literally what he gets paid to overcome, and something he has overcome in the past. I think the bemch/trade talk it over board, but he flip side of that coin is the excuse making for him. Guy is literally paid to and expected to overcome obstacles like the start of the game today. 

8 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

How do you think Aaron would have looked today if his running game was pulling over 5 per carry and he had over 5 seconds of time per pass in protection? To act like what he faced today defensively was anywhere close to what Jameis did is just disingenuous

Where did I say that they faced the same thing challenge wise? Even if they had, which they didn't, you would expect Rodgers to do better than Winston. He is a three time MVP and one of the best QBs to ever play the game... but he still had a horrible game today and rightly deserves a good chunk of the blame. 

Career: Rodgers > Winston 

Today: Rodgers < Winston

I'm not sure what your argument here is?

Edited by BluePacker
  • Like 1

Just now, BluePacker said:

Where did I say that they faced the same thing challenge wise? Even if they had, which they didn't, you would expect Rodgers to do better than Winston. He is a three time MVP and one of the best QBs to ever play the game... but he still had a horrible game today and rightly deserves a good chunk of the blame. 

Career: Rodgers > Winston 

Today: Rodgers < Winston

I'm not sure start your argument here is?

The argument is simple really there is zero chance the Green Bay Packers win this football game unless Aaron Rodgers and/or the offense carries them to do so and because that didnt happen they lost by 5 possessions and showed exactly why this team is closer to being blown up entirely after Aaron than it is competing after him but again, this doesn't jive with the Aaron is the problem because he's cancer and we're good despite him narrative.

I'd be a lot more obligated to entertain this narrative if there was anything good going on despite Aaron being about as bad as he can possibly be given his talent level. The truth is there wasn't anything else you feel good about unless you count Gary being the one guy defensively who looked like he gave a s*** all day. 

Edited by Rodjahs12